Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Anyone recommend a shop that installs exhaust that require evap relocation

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM
JustKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OkashiZ
Project Import.
yeah i heard they are a really good shop. will probably go to them if i need anything done for my car.

taking my testpipes off tomorrow and putting the stock cats back on. got quoted $40 at an exhaust and brake shop in Westminister. hopefully that fixes my p1273 SES. never had a problem with this code and have had test pipes on for a while now so I don't know why its been coming up recently
will also ask them to tighten everything too make sure theres no leaks
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
OkashiZ

That sounds like ACE muffler. They do good work.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
JustKid

That sounds like ACE muffler. They do good work.
Yes it is! So i've heard and for the price damn can't beat that.
Also just saw your post in "What did you do for your car..." and saw you got an injen ses. how is it? ive heard things about the drone being loud
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
OkashiZ

I don't have any because the h-pipe and resonators were replaced with a magnaflow resonated x pipe.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM
JustKid

I don't have any because the h-pipe and resonators were replaced with a magnaflow resonated x pipe.

im seriously thinking about doing that mod. people just post too many different magnaflow ones though so im always confused.

is this the resonated one?
http://performancepeddler.com/catalo...er-p-2192.html

and would 2.5 inlet/outlets be okay with a 2.75 inch piping exhaust
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM
OkashiZ

Yes that's the one. Only problem with it going from 2.75 to 2.5 back to 2.75 would be a small bottleneck effect, but it's nothing that you would notice. I would recommend doing it to get ride of drone, get back some low end torque and get some of the vq signature sound back.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM
OkashiZ

Originally Posted by JustKid
yeah i heard they are a really good shop. will probably go to them if i need anything done for my car.

taking my testpipes off tomorrow and putting the stock cats back on. got quoted $40 at an exhaust and brake shop in Westminister. hopefully that fixes my p1273 SES. never had a problem with this code and have had test pipes on for a while now so I don't know why its been coming up recently
will also ask them to tighten everything too make sure theres no leaks
test pipes usually throw a p0420 and p0430 iirc
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
JustKid

Yes that's the one. Only problem with it going from 2.75 to 2.5 back to 2.75 would be a small bottleneck effect, but it's nothing that you would notice. I would recommend doing it to get ride of drone, get back some low end torque and get some of the vq signature sound back.
ya i was a little weary (if thats even a word lol) about the pipe change. they just dont have a 2.75 inlet/outlet. and in regards to the p1273 code im throwing damn i just don't know what it's from. the first time i got it was after we attempted to install the exhausts. we failed cause the evap and put MY exhaust back on after taking it off. Than it showed up. Never had the code before. I deleted it and it never came back. Installed the new exhaust and it came up 3 times already. I don't hear any leaks and will have Ace muffler take a look when they put my stock cats on. Hopefully its just from the exhaust not being properly installed? idk (I showed up today and they just moved locations and didn't have their original lifts...the one they had was too high for my low car). so im going again in a couple of days when they build ramps. fml with this code lol
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM
OkashiZ

They moved? I'm slammed on coils and I made it on their ramps with a series of wood ramps
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
JustKid

They moved? I'm slammed on coils and I made it on their ramps with a series of wood ramps
7080 Hazard Ave is their new address. its maybe 10 minutes away from their old spot.

Got my stock cats back on tonight at another shop and the exhaust drone for the most part is gone. It sounds really clean so im glad i did it. Only negative is that the exhaust lines up differently now. The left tailpipe is shifted too far left touching my chargespeed rear and its way to high so its sitting right under the bumper. The right side is not touching at all. F**** left tailpipe burned a little bit of the bumper. Im really pissed of right now lol now I have to go to a muffler shop and see what they can do. Hopefully I don't get charged too much.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
muffles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had a quick search of p1273 and it sounds like it could be a few things. It says it's a problem with your A/F ratio (lean, I think), so it could be a leak on intake or exhaust, or the change of exhaust means it needs remapping (you already had it mapped, right? So it should have been ok on previous setup).

Sorry to hear about your bumper, weird that it moved the exhaust though. Maybe they re-seated the cats weirdly?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM
JustKid

Originally Posted by muffles
Just had a quick search of p1273 and it sounds like it could be a few things. It says it's a problem with your A/F ratio (lean, I think), so it could be a leak on intake or exhaust, or the change of exhaust means it needs remapping (you already had it mapped, right? So it should have been ok on previous setup).

Sorry to hear about your bumper, weird that it moved the exhaust though. Maybe they re-seated the cats weirdly?
When I was at my mechanic's yesterday he cleaned my MAF, took apart my intake to check for leaks (also because he had to see through the engine to put the cats back on) and made sure the O2 sensors were not loose. The code has not shown up yet after a good 40 miles so I hope its fixed. I suggest following these steps for the p1273 for anyone who is currently having this problem!
Yeah it was already mapped and made to run more lean since I have the breather mods so thats why I knew it wasnt the system just running lean. Maybe possible with the test pipes and 2.75 piping there was so much more air flow so it triggered the code?

Yeah I'm thinking the original owner (before the owner I traded with) had his exhaust hangars or maybe the pipes rewelded to fit with the test pipes. Because when they were on with my test pipes the exhaust fit perfectly fine under my bumper. With the cats back on they fit exactly how they were fitting on the previous owner who just took his testpipes off as well and his bumper on the left side was burnt which is also why there was burnt plastic on the left tailpipe from his car.
All in all another 45-50$ and the exhaust should be exactly the way I want. Damn this has been a pain on a broke college kids wallet. Im gonna make a thread for the exhaust with pics vids and a review because it sounds soo clean now lol and it drives way smoother compared to when I had the test pipes. I do admit I miss the growl on the start up and it was a tad bit deeper and louder with them =/ but its okay haha too much cops staring at me anyways in my city with the way my car looks and no front plate lol
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM
muffles

Haha sounds good, look forward to the thread. I really want mine to sound a bit better, but not sure of the route to go. I can change out that centre section for straight pipes, but ideally I'd go for HFCs or something.

Sounds like you've done your research on this sort of thing, so...I *think* there are NO carb-legal HFCs available, is that right? Would prefer to stay fully legal for a no-hassle guarantee, but I have the feeling there is no option available like that. Also, same situation for headers? No legal ones?

On the P1273 code issue, I could definitely see the test pipe to OEM cat switch causing the code, from what I read. But probably best people search and make their mind up really - there seems to be loads of info on the site if I search "p1273 code"
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
JustKid

Haha sounds good, look forward to the thread. I really want mine to sound a bit better, but not sure of the route to go. I can change out that centre section for straight pipes, but ideally I'd go for HFCs or something.

Sounds like you've done your research on this sort of thing, so...I *think* there are NO carb-legal HFCs available, is that right? Would prefer to stay fully legal for a no-hassle guarantee, but I have the feeling there is no option available like that. Also, same situation for headers? No legal ones?

On the P1273 code issue, I could definitely see the test pipe to OEM cat switch causing the code, from what I read. But probably best people search and make their mind up really - there seems to be loads of info on the site if I search "p1273 code"
I think for the best bet if you dont want to switch out the hfcs for your stock cats everytime you have to smog you should probably get some straight pipes in for the resonators. the noise level without the resonators is pretty siginificant. it sounds alot more aggresive. It really does make all the difference on the greddy evo exhausts and its really not raspy. or at least on mine theres no rasp.

yeah I don't think there are any carb legal maybe I remember reading about kinetix hfcs being carb legal so maybe you should look those up. some people use Crawford HfC's because they look like they could be the stock cats. as for headers i think the DC headers are legal someone correct me if i''m wrong. I know I passed my smog at arco with my dc headers on. headers will also make the exhaust sound louder.

yeah there was way to much info on the p1273 code. too many different situations and people saying different things. I honestly think the test pipe and increased piping diameter was the reason my ecu thought I was running too lean. the oem cats will at least restrict the amount of airflow so im thinking that solved the issue. also some people said cleaning the maf sensor helped so I also did that too for extra measure. code hasn't come up so far so i hope i solved the issue and wont have to see the ses light again!

heres the evo2 without resonators

Last edited by JustKid; 11-15-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
JustKid

just came back from a muffler shop. they charged me $70 to get the fitment correct on my exhaust .
I had to do it though because I was literally afraid to drive anywhere because it was starting to burn my bumper. fml i feel like im blowing too much money for this thing, its been a pain in the *** from the beginning. but f*ckit i like the sound and look. they cut off the original hangar on the left tailpipe and once they got it into position they rewelded a new one on. my exhaust had 2 metal brackets welded in for stability on the pipes where the resonators were so they slit them in half and were able to move the exhaust more and rewelded them when they were in the right position. then they heated up the right side and brought it down a little. summary: both tips were moved to the right and shifted equally. Looks perfect now but f*ckkkk $70 for this and $60 for the cats on. not a whole lot of money but if i knew it would have had all these costs i would have just kept the exhaust I had before lol. review will be up with some good *** pics and im going to work on getting some vid footage to capture the sweet sound
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
muffles

I'll be honest though, it might be all this money but the tips you have now look way better- the straight cut (instead of angled) really suits your bumper, and the burnt look works well. The old exhaust looked too much like oem in my opinion so I say it's a good change

I'll check out those hfcs and headers...I prefer them over changing centre resonators as doing that just gives me the sound, but hfcs, headers, and a remap should give me better power as well.

I've seen that vid before which is what made me think of doing the resonator swap
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
JustKid

I'll be honest though, it might be all this money but the tips you have now look way better- the straight cut (instead of angled) really suits your bumper, and the burnt look works well. The old exhaust looked too much like oem in my opinion so I say it's a good change

I'll check out those hfcs and headers...I prefer them over changing centre resonators as doing that just gives me the sound, but hfcs, headers, and a remap should give me better power as well.

I've seen that vid before which is what made me think of doing the resonator swap
Yeah with some hfcs and headers you will definitely feel the car pull harder!. Do you currently have an intake? Intake and exhaust alone help a little bit. let me know when you decide on things. also i noticed i was having horrible mpgs when i had my p1273 code problem. it was low 17s and avg was 20's 21. Now its 18.5 and avg 24 25
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM
muffles

Nope, standard intake. Just exhaust so far...

I get terrible MPG already lol...so far I have filled up twice and got 19 & 16....hahah

Btw I checked out the HFCs and headers and it turns out only the headers are legal...apparently the whole concept of HFCs goes against CA emissions laws (makes sense) so any HFC will be technically illegal. Still, can do the headers
Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 AM
JustKid

damn im up late lol. yeah city driving hurts the mpgs!

I would search the forum for the brand of HFC's that members have passed the smog with. I know I've read it multiple times so there is a certain HFC that people have passed with and ill try find it and post it for you to read up on.
Yeah i'm pretty sure DC mentions they are CA emissions legal in their product description, I've heard other brands are not though?
Only negative with headers is that they are expensive and the install is pretty damn expensive too because they either have to pull the engine or another route, either one takes alot of hours for the install. So for the price of the headers and install you don't see too many hp gains.

You'll feel more power by adding an HFC/TP than you would with the headers alone. Same with sound level you'd have more sound with the HFC/TP. I understand you want to stay out of emissions trouble though

Nope, standard intake. Just exhaust so far...

I get terrible MPG already lol...so far I have filled up twice and got 19 & 16....hahah

Btw I checked out the HFCs and headers and it turns out only the headers are legal...apparently the whole concept of HFCs goes against CA emissions laws (makes sense) so any HFC will be technically illegal. Still, can do the headers
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Mattysals

All aftermarket cats are technically illegal in ca

Quick Reply: Anyone recommend a shop that installs exhaust that require evap relocation