Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Plan on moving to OC from NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
LemanZ Sunset

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan on moving to OC from NYC

Hey folks,

I was planning on moving out to the OC area in about two years after my wife finishes her medschool. My main concern moving out there from NYC is the job market there. I am currently a Network Engineer Consulant with a very nice job here in NYC. My company specializes in the legal sector. The firms I have done most of my work are:

Shearman & Sterling
Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
Weil Gotchel Mangles

I am just curious about the job market out there. I am really sick of NYC as I have lived here now for about 22 years ( I am 24).
Old 03-16-2004, 03:27 PM
dczoner

The job market is decent. Its not spectacular but there's still plenty of work to be found for competent people, and the industry is better here than it is in the Silicon Valley.

Lots of industry in Irvine, but depending on how averse you are to commuting I'd think about living in Huntington Beach, or if you're more bling, Newport Beach or Laguna Beach. I guess it probably also depends on where your wife works too.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
EL Diablo

I just did that a few months ago! NYC to LA

The tech market is not so hot right now.

You say your sick of NY? I know how you feel but believe me your
gonna miss the **** out of it after you leave.

Wait until they close the bar at 130 AM and your on the way home at 2AM.

Hell in NYC the party is just getting started at that time.

Lots of Z's out here!
LA is a great town but your gonna need to adjust.

Good Luck
Old 03-18-2004, 11:27 AM
BullishZ

Well, I commend you for looking for info ahead of time... but it's hard to comment about the job market climate that would really be relevant to you, since you are moving here two years later?!?! The economy is continuing to pick up, but the job market really hasn't followed as well. I would like to think that as long as the economy keeps progressing as well as it has been doing, companies will be opening up more jobs.

Good luck. OC is like heaven on earth. You'll love it here.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Well, speaking from an East Coast point of view.....I've been here 6 months, and I am still finding it hard to adjust. Different mentality, different way of life, hard to make friends......not what I bargained for. But to each his/her own. Obvioulsy people like it out here, otherwise it would be deserted. Prepare yourself before coming....I didn't! Hopefully this place will grow on me soon, otherwise, it's back to Montreal......I will always be an East Coast gal at heart.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow another Nyer moving to Los Angeles. I made the move from the Flatbush area to Los Angeles in 1990. I never felt like this is home. My roots and family is still back east. Hope you adapt well and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Originally posted by skar 718
Wow another Nyer moving to Los Angeles. I made the move from the Flatbush area to Los Angeles in 1990. I never felt like this is home. My roots and family is still back east. Hope you adapt well and let us know how it goes.
Have you adapted? and if so, how long did it take? I am getting discouraged, and depressed. My life was so full almost every night of the week being downtown...now all I do is wonder where the "party" is! My bro moved from Montreal to West Palm Beach, Fla. He said it has taken him 2 years to get used to it, and it's still not home to him. I do not see the light.....

P.S. Luvvvvvvvvvv your Lemans Sunset.....makes me regret I got mine in CS....Dang!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally posted by Luv Mntrl
Have you adapted? and if so, how long did it take?
P.S. Luvvvvvvvvvv your Lemans Sunset.....makes me regret I got mine in CS....Dang!
Thanks for the comment on the car. The color grew on me like fungus and now I could not see me in another color.

Well since 1990 I can't say I am totally adapted yet. The weather is nice in SoCal ( no 100% Humidity ). The vibe here is sure different and the culture is also.....Damn I miss New York
Old 03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Thanks for the comment on the car. The color grew on me like fungus and now I could not see me in another color.

Well since 1990 I can't say I am totally adapted yet. The weather is nice in SoCal ( no 100% Humidity ). The vibe here is sure different and the culture is also.....Damn I miss New York
Ya man, I am so ****-ed I got the CS.....but I can't regret it, otherwise it will eat me up inside. But every time I see a LMS, I wintz, and grind my teeth......maybe my next one???

As for being here, it's killing me I must admit. I don't feel like the person I was in Montreal. I have lost a part of me, and don't know where to find it. Guess it stayed there.....I love the weather aspect, but X-mas sucked without any snow, and all that rain. I love boogie boarding now, but something HUGE is missing....where the hell is the PARTY??? Not used to not going out.....it's hell! Man, I miss Montreal more than anyone even knows...gotta keep playing the lottery, and cross my fingers....then I'm home bound!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Sorry, didn't want to bring you down.....but at least someone knows how I feel. My husband doesn't understand how I feel, so it's hard most of the time......thanx for lending an ear! Hope to meet you at the next meet.......and if I drool on your car, just push me out of the way......
Old 03-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally posted by Luv Mntrl
and if I drool on your car, just push me out of the way......
Ahh thanks for the heads up...NOTE TO SELF---install clear bra before next meet------
Old 03-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Ahh thanks for the heads up...NOTE TO SELF---install clear bra before next meet------

...walk softly and carry a big sponge! I am sooooo jealouZ!!!