Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Got a screw in my rear tire =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Janus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a screw in my rear tire =(

Well, on Saturday, on my way out from work, I noticed a screw in the rear left tire....

After examining it, and my tire pressure guage, I decided that It was pretty sealed and to not pull it out.

I then went to Pep Boys, (who is near my house) and asked if they could plug my tire...

They said no, but they could do a tire patch... I asked them if they could guarantee not scratching my rim and they said no, that I they dont have the plastic protector parts that prevent contact on the rim...

Then they recomended some Firestone tire store nearby who they said can put a plug in it.

I got the to the Firestone store, and they told me that they don't plug tires, and that they can patch it...

So again, I asked if they would assure me that they won't scratch my rims and they are like "Hey, its not our problem its yours. You run the risk if you want your tires patched".

So I then went to a BF Goodyear... they to did the same song and dance.

So. It is now Sunday night (easter) and I STILL have a screw in my tire.

Who the heck in the orange county area PLUGS tires or can patch it without scratching my rim?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

I feel you... I got a nail in mine.. it was holding pretty good at 21lbs.. but I decided plugging high performance tires isn't worth risking a blow-out at high speed. Mine were pretty worn anyways (14k miles) so I ordered some Toyos.

Waiting still for delivery.. been without the Z for a week now
Old 04-12-2004, 08:26 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got a screw in my rear tire =(

Originally posted by Janus
Who the heck in the orange county area PLUGS tires or can patch it without scratching my rim?
I don't know of a specific shop in OC that will do the work but, what you need to do is go to a wheel shop that sells highend wheels. These guys should be able to patch your wheels and because they routinely install the highend stuff, you will more likely be safe, even without a guarantee, than going to the run of the mill tire shop.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 AM
bobowah

so here's my recommendation... don't plug the tire... really it will not hold that well.

Patching is the safest... and most reliable way to "fix a nail in the tire"

Personally if you have not too much life in the tires get some new tires.

-J
Old 04-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a nail in my rear tire not long ago. Normally, I would get it plugged at a gas station for $10. But, being that it is a new Z, I decided to take it to So-Cal Alteration, the used wheel place in Rosemead but based in Japan, as I'm sure many of you guys know.

WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS.

Not only did they charge me $15, THEY SCRATCHED THE RIM GOOD, by the valve stem in clear view (which I didn't notice was a scratch at the time). Driving away, I checked the TPS,

AND THEY BLEW THAT TIRE UP TO 46 PSI!!!

I immediately stopped and tried to deflate it,

BUT THEY BENT THE VALVE CAP SO BAD THAT I HAD A HELLA TIME GETTIN' IT OFF!!!

Damn bastards, you would think that it would be safe to take your car to a Japanese run wheel place, but NOOOOO. I was gonna get wheels for my S13 there but now, Ain't ever going back there for nothin' Didn't even bother to complain cause of the attitudes of the guys there.

The plug holds good, though.

Sorry it wasn't any help but I had to vent when I read this thread.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Janus

Someone recomended to me to go to a high-end tire/rim shop since they work with this kind of stuff all the time.

Does anyone know of any near Santa Fe Springs?

The one that got mentioned to me is on Norwalk near Imperial I think....