Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

San Diego GTGs.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:11 PM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I agree. Leave the cats be. So far people are losing boost on the SC kits when they remove the cats. This is true of Vortech, Stillen, etc. The HKS is tuned for the out of the box amount of boost. As a matter of fact I think they even recommend you leave it stock minus exhaust with their kit for the best power. And Jim it is more like 98 % when Greg's Tnetics Z is done and you and Chad get off your rockers and buy some F/I.

So Greg has thrown in the towel on the SR20d sentra?

Glad to see him joining the "dark side"

I can't buy FI for now .... I somehow went broke last month .... plus I got roommate issues right now .... I'll explain when I see you sometime this weekend. I really gotta swing by and grab that oil filter so I can change my oil already.

- jim
Old 06-24-2005, 03:16 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by Z BOY
interesting. thanx for your input guys. this is my first venture into fi, so i'm a total noob about this, hence my choice of moderate vs extreme-power fi, but from what i've read, isn't flow really important with fi? you're right, playa, hks says their stock sc kit will be lean with a/m breathing mods, but ts is saying they can install and tune my hks kit with breathing mods for more hp than outa the box, so i've kept my crawford headers and ypipe and was thinking about adding some hfc and a 1/4" plenum. i guess i'll be the first i know of to try this with the hks kit.
ps: actually, hks want you to buy their $1400 vpro in order to tune for more hp with a/m mods. maybe ts can accomplish this without it?
I see when you are coming from Matt. It is a tough choice what to do when you go FI what mods to keep. When I bought the Vortech, I was selling everything ... even considering going back to stock exhaust. I see people proving that these things make more power ... but how "much" more. 10hp peak ... sometimes not really all that noticeable (especially below 5500rpms, when you spend almost all you time). I just wanted SAFE power, which is obviously what you are after as well. I would suggest you just go stock for the HKS setup. Your big dilemma is the high cost of the header de-install, which really sucks. BUT, keeping them will make you get a TS reflash for what ($500+)? ... and all for maybe an extra 10 peak HP ... on a less that optimized from HKS tune ... that would scare me.

I ended up selling all breathing mods but my Borla to prepare for installation fo the SC... and then sold the Vortech. .... so who knows ... just mind my endless ramblings ....

hope some of that insight helps.

Jim
Old 06-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, my dilemma is this: i have an oil consumption problem, and nissan is going to give me either a new short or longblock very soon. either way, they have to pull the engine, which would be a golden opportunity to pull the crawfords headers off for free, and put the stocks back on, but when i mentioned this idea to brian at ts, he recommended i leave them on, saying they would definitely produce more power, but like you say, who knows how much?
i'm actually leaning toward leaving them in not only for the possibility of more hp, but also because those headers just sound so damn mean! right now, i'm running just the stock plenum, crawford headers, stock cats, hf ypipe and stock muffler, which you would think would sound pretty tame, but its just the opposite, and i'm sure its because of the headers. so even if they don't add much with the sc, i'll never tire of their cool sound. also, since i've already paid for the first ts reflash, subsequent reflashes are only $150.
so the vortech is putting down better numbers with stock breathing, or is it you just want to limit the hp to keep things safer?
has anyone seen or heard from derek/denchan?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Z BOY

hypothetical situation and question: nissan is going to pull your engine and give you a new short or longblock under warranty. you have crawford headers on your engine, and ts is going to install and tune your hks sc. your goal is more hp and minimal extra cost. would you:
a) buy cams and have them installed while engine is out as well as pull the headers off and sell them to defray cost of cams?
b) pull the headers off, sell them, and buy the hks hipower dual exhaust instead of the cams?
c) leave the headers alone, and buy nothing else?
ps: which cams would work best on this application?

Last edited by Z BOY; 06-27-2005 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:06 AM
paredyme

Originally Posted by Z BOY
hypothetical situation and question: nissan is going to pull your engine and give you a new short or longblock under warranty. you have crawford headers on your engine, and ts is going to install and tune your hks sc. your goal is more hp and minimal extra cost. would you:
a) buy cams and have them installed while engine is out as well as pull the headers off and sell them to defray cost of cams?
b) pull the headers off, sell them, and buy the hks hipower dual exhaust instead of the cams?
c) leave the headers alone, and buy nothing else?
ps: which cams would work best on this application?

If this were an SAT question, I would pick A.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:13 AM
cyberz350

Hey does anyone know of a good paint shop in socal? I'm trying to get my front bumper repainted because of all the rock chips and shiet.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:50 AM
JimRHIT

def. not Perf Nissan ... my paintjob blows goats ... j/k ... but its not perfect. I can say they laid a perfect paint coat .. it is just not the perfectly right color

hey. im picky
Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 AM
cyberz350

I'm just as picky man. That's why I'm on here asking for suggestions.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 AM
MIAPLAYA

The Mossy body shop in Escondido did an AMAZING job on my soon to be exs Titan.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:10 PM
paredyme

Hey, is that cute girl (Jen) ever going to show up for the Tuesday GTG?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:36 PM
JimRHIT

well. .... she found 11 inches of man-steel that has temporarily dibilitaded her ... so prolly not
Old 06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
paredyme

hmmm...an interesting mod choice that
Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by paredyme
If this were an SAT question, I would pick A.
looks like there are currently no good fi cams out for our cars, so the correct answer would be B.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:06 AM
JimRHIT

actually Matt, the JWT cams have proven to work wonders with the APS TT ... adding as much as a consistent 40HP and TQ under the curve in the mid-upper rev range. Dont look at the peak numbers only.

my point - there are some good cams out there for FI for us, just nothing great yet that everyone is gaga over like 4g63 guys are for 272s
Old 06-28-2005, 09:07 AM
JimRHIT

Rob, Chad

Where the fukc are you guys
Old 06-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
actually Matt, the JWT cams have proven to work wonders with the APS TT ... adding as much as a consistent 40HP and TQ under the curve in the mid-upper rev range. Dont look at the peak numbers only.

my point - there are some good cams out there for FI for us, just nothing great yet that everyone is gaga over like 4g63 guys are for 272s
thanx jim.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
protocav

i am here. ready for tonight.

i have your filter, you lazy bastard. by now, you could have just gone to the dealer.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:36 AM
MIAPLAYA

As for cams honestly I would go with the Nismos (260) JWT (264 I believe) or at worst the the Tomei 264 cams....Nismos being the best ones for F/I.

Me and Chad have discusssed this a few times...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
protocav

the jwt's are 260 duration, with 10.9mm of lift.

the nismo's are 262 duration with 10.8mm of lift.

they are very similar, but the jwt's have higher lift, and turbo's typically like less duration. i think 262 is getting too close to overlap.

i would go with the jwt's. plus, they are cheaper.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

And I stand corrected....There is a GB for the JWT cams in the F/I forum...

Quick Reply: San Diego GTGs.....