Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

San Diego GTGs.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 AM
paredyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can come over tonight if that works for you...I'm not too sure if it is rubbing or not; I have heard on occassion a buzzing sound but beats the crap out of me if that's the strut bar or not.

Hey, at least you're gonna have Vortech installed real soon, right?

I'm not regretting the purchase as I thought I possibly might, but something did give me *SLIGHT* pause...

Avg. MPG w/o Plenum: 23.4

Avg. MPG w/ Plenum: 23.0

Oh NO!

Then again....

1/4 mile w/o Plenum: 14.1 @ 102mph

1/4 mile w/ Plenum: 9.99 @ 145mph

SWEEEEEEETTT!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

Whos going tonight?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:09 AM
paredyme

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Whos going tonight?

ME! and those two white guys...
Old 12-07-2004, 10:14 AM
JimRHIT

So yeah .... we have a lil issue with Josh's plenum ... anyone know how to "tension" the STB so it doesn't rub ? It appears that it is just barely rubbing .... very close.

Also ... Nissan metalurgy (sp?) sucks, two of the bolts snapped in the middle of the installation (yes, I was using a torque wrench) ... Chad, rob, whoever ... your ideas for a solution will be needed this evening.

And don't flip out, the plenum is not leaking, not cracking and the car runs just fine ... but we do need to replace these bolts asap...problem is ... I dont know how to get them out

see you all tonight
Old 12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by JimRHIT
So yeah .... we have a lil issue with Josh's plenum ... anyone know how to "tension" the STB so it doesn't rub ? It appears that it is just barely rubbing .... very close.

Also ... Nissan metalurgy (sp?) sucks, two of the bolts snapped in the middle of the installation (yes, I was using a torque wrench) ... Chad, rob, whoever ... your ideas for a solution will be needed this evening.

And don't flip out, the plenum is not leaking, not cracking and the car runs just fine ... but we do need to replace these bolts asap...problem is ... I dont know how to get them out

see you all tonight

Snapped off bolts I would drill a cross groove in it with a Dremel and use a Phillips or Flat head to extract it. As for strut bar the large nut on the strut bar yeah that will adjust the tension of the bar.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
JimRHIT

yeah ... but I cannot turn that **** with my wrench .... maybe it would be easier if I just took the thing off and then adjusted it
Old 12-07-2004, 10:24 AM
paredyme

What's the risk in overtensioning the strut bar? Is my car going to be extra stiff?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 AM
paredyme

Rob....on a sidenote, I've been meaning to ask you, for your Turbo kit, is there a device available that keeps the turbines spinning when you turn off the engine? (My cousin's car, the Subaru Blitzer [not available in U.S.], will keep the engine running even when he shuts down the ignition so that the oil or lubrication will not bake inside the turbine. Or some concept like that...geez, I don't know, I'm no car expert!)
Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 AM
paredyme

yeah ... but I cannot turn that **** with my wrench .... maybe it would be easier if I just took the thing off and then adjusted it

Jim looks like he can bench press 350 pounds, so I didn't even try.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
eMpTei

I'll be there tonight
Old 12-07-2004, 10:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

To answer all questions. The tensioner nut needs to be loosened off the car and then tightened back up when on the car. Josh that "thing" is called a turbo timer and yes you can add one to the kit but no its not included with any of the F/I kits out there. Lastly overtensioning the strut bar. I think it is impossible for you to do this unles you are Heman. Something tells me none of us is strong enough to sheer off the FSB mounting bolts when properly installed.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 PM
JimRHIT

I can only bench 295 ... my mind is set on never putting up 300lbs

anyone out there know how to hypnotize?

wait ... i don't trust you all.

On a side note: LISTEN UP EVERYONE

I have an idea tonight ... (see my sig) ... I am running the my350z.com group of scionlife's toy drive.

I am collecting matchbox cars for kids, and they will be donated to a local charity.

Instead of having to go through the hassle of paypal'ing me the $$. ... how about EACH OF US ... goes into Kmart tonight ... and buys some matchbox car.

That would help out our cause greatly

Let me know if you are down ... please be

Jim
Old 12-07-2004, 01:13 PM
eMpTei

hey Jim, can you bring the wall mount for the projector?, and yes... I'll help you out with the matchbox stuff
Old 12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
eMpTei

I can only bench 295 ... my mind is set on never putting up 300lbs

anyone out there know how to hypnotize?

wait ... i don't trust you all.

On a side note: LISTEN UP EVERYONE

I have an idea tonight ... (see my sig) ... I am running the my350z.com group of scionlife's toy drive.

I am collecting matchbox cars for kids, and they will be donated to a local charity.

Instead of having to go through the hassle of paypal'ing me the $$. ... how about EACH OF US ... goes into Kmart tonight ... and buys some matchbox car.

That would help out our cause greatly

Let me know if you are down ... please be

Jim

295?, damn that's a lot of weight!, I can only bench 215 (and I thought that was a lot)
Old 12-07-2004, 01:24 PM
JimRHIT

You mean the ceiling mount? .... I'll have to locate it ... Its in my room somewhere
Old 12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
protocav

jim,
i have many ideas for the stripped bolts, weightlifting, and tensioning. so many, that i will spare you the typing and tell you tonight.

295 is pretty good for your weight, but i can give you some tips on how to get stronger. i am no Mr. Universe, but i am good for 350 (and used to be good for 365). we can consult with eric too, because i know he is strong.

keep in mind that the stronger you get, the smaller your ***** gets. it's just how it works.

Chad

P.S. -- Mike I warm up with 225 10-12 times. (insert ***** joke here)
Old 12-07-2004, 01:28 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by protocav
jim,
i have many ideas for the stripped bolts, weightlifting, and tensioning. so many, that i will spare you the typing and tell you tonight.

295 is pretty good for your weight, but i can give you some tips on how to get stronger. i am no Mr. Universe, but i am good for 350 (and used to be good for 365). we can consult with eric too, because i know he is strong.

keep in mind that the stronger you get, the smaller your ***** gets. it's just how it works.

Chad

So I guess your new name is Half Stack of Pennies?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
erock

Originally posted by protocav
jim,

Chad

Nah I'm a weakling, the most I've ever pushed was 335, and I'm twice Jims's weight. Doesn't help that I'm on-again off-again smoker (more on than off)

Chad's a strong dude, I've seen him push alot of weight. He means business in the gym where as I, I look for the eye candy and just stare till they a)smile b)gimme a dirty look c) kick me in the groin.

Last edited by erock; 12-07-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by erock
I look for the eye candy and just stare till they a)smile b)gimme a dirty look c) kick me in the groin.
Sounds like what I do at the gym. Till my wife walks up and does the same cuz I'm looking around.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:48 PM
protocav

Originally posted by erock
c) kick me in the groin.

that's why you are always on the ground in the fetal position, breathing into a bag. i always thought it was a stretching exercise.

Quick Reply: San Diego GTGs.....