Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

What is wrong with the So Cal scene?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not much 350Z participation in SoCal track events

While the canyon runs, BBQs, club meets, shows, etc. are well attended in SoCal, I am disappointed at the poor showing, in terms of sheer numbers, at the racetrack events in SoCal. I run on the track about once a month. Lately I have been to the big road course at Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, and Spring Mtn. raceway, which is west of Vegas in NV.

I have been the only, or almost the only 350Z at every event. The S2000s, Boxsters, 911s, EVOs, STis, S4s, M3s, Miatas and Corvettes always have several cars there. There are even more Mini Cooper S' than 350Zs at the track.

Won't you please come out and run? It is really a great time.

Last edited by Hunter Z; 04-27-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Rich, many of us are not making the same kind of money you are making I am sure....and maybe time wise, people just don't have it. I think that is why.....
Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default I can appreciate that

But you can run a track event at Streets of Willow for $100. That's instead of a really nice restaurant dinner with wine for two on Saturday night.

There is a ZCCA club meet next month that includes Streets of Willow for only $35, a completely unheard of low price. They rented out both tracks at Willow Springs, and are charging about $105 for the big track (also very cheap). Don't miss the chance to run all day at "Streets" for $35. I will try to get some more info on this and post it here.

Last edited by Hunter Z; 04-27-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:58 PM
jeffa

DCZowner:

Dave, great post.
I remember first meeting you on one of the first runs to Lake Elsinor. We had 8 or 9 z's there, plus 1 G35. I remember standing in awe that we could get 9 350z's together at the same time. Oh, the good old days.

I must confess that I may be partially to blame for some of the drama on the board of late, but I think that it reflects my passion for what we have here in So Cal. A bunch of great guys/gals that enjoy each others company at the various events that we have had. I don't think we can go back to the way it was back in late 2002 when just a small group of owners gathered for that run. Way many more people now. However, I think that enoigh of us still want to do things together. Some will go on runs, some to social gatherings, and some will do it all. Lets put the dissention behind us, and start planning some great events for this summer. Hooters, here I come

Richard:
Having been involved in autocross and open track events back in my F-body days, this type of activity can cause you to go through a lot of brake/tire suspension usage. This type of fun costs some big dollars to do on a constant basis, and I think a lot of us don't have the dedication/time cash that it takes to do these type of events.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default OK

I understand that racetrack events are not for everyone. Whether it is the cost of the entry fees, or the wear and tear on the car, or the time it takes, or whatever. But I don't expect everyone to come out. I would just like to see 3 or 4 other 350Zs at an all day track event attended by 60 cars of all kinds. Is that too much to ask?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there are different groups of car enthusiasts... there's the hardcore... the track racers. the total gear heads that are really into their cars, but they appreciate other quality automobiles. they like to meet for high performance events, and dont really like the social meets... the Party group... they have similar cars. but when they meet, they want to do stuff, non car related, or more have a social gathering role than car stuff... and then there are those that just want to meet people that have simliar cars. shoot the breeze. but not want have any strings attached....

its going to be hard to appease every group. just let people set up whatever events that they are going to anyway. and if those people that fall into those groups really want to go, they will....

i dont see what the big hooplah is over this club stuff. its so high school.... i am willing to goto any event, be it track event, bbq, carshow or whatever... when i feel like it and/or i have time for it.

Dave is right: we're here for FUN!! i have no intentions of paying for dues, or manditory meetings or whatever.. but i do have intentions of meeting some cool people and learning about the car. thats how i, as a car enthusiast, take this hobby...
Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I can appreciate that

Originally posted by Hunter Z
There is a ZCCA club meet next month that includes Streets of Willow for only $35, a completely unheard of low price. They rented out both tracks at Willow Springs, and are charging about $105 for the big track (also very cheap). Don't miss the chance to run all day at "Streets" for $35. I will try to get some more info on this and post it here.
This particular event is being sponsored by Toyo Tires... and US!! Jason and I are looking forward to getting out there and having some fun....
Old 04-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default How do we sign up?

Jeff -

I need to check my schedule, but I think I'd like to be there for the track day (what date is it?). I would definitely like to run Big Willow, NOT Streets. Where do we sign up? I have been to lazy to find the thread on this.

Also, I'm getting the Nismo limited slip differential at Performance sometime in the next week. Kewl.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: How do we sign up?

Originally posted by Hunter Z
Jeff -

I need to check my schedule, but I think I'd like to be there for the track day (what date is it?). I would definitely like to run Big Willow, NOT Streets. Where do we sign up? I have been to lazy to find the thread on this.

Also, I'm getting the Nismo limited slip differential at Performance sometime in the next week. Kewl.
Before you get the diff... you may want to drive my car first to make sure you don't mind the noise it makes when doing low speed turns in parking lots... All the info on the ZCCA is here:
http://www.zcca.org/
Old 04-28-2004, 09:49 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally haven't been to any track events because

1) entry fees are usually high. Even at $100... that's a $100 I can spend on buying parts from Performance Nissan. Besides, I don't wine and dine at nice restaurants like you do, Hunter Z. Obviously we are in different tax brackets.

2) I haven't bought my helmet yet. That's not that cheap either. Once againg, I'd rather spend my $$ on other parts for my car.

3) The tracks are very far..... It's not like I can just take a couple of hours out of one day to attend it. At least after canyon runs, I could still go to the office to work.... but after a track event, (although I've never been to one yet), I doubt I'd have the time to go back to work.

But then, I'd like to go to a track event one of these days in the near future. Maybe this Summer when things are not that hectic, I may find time to go shopping for my helmet.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
frenzee

Default Re: What is wrong with the So Cal scene?

dczoner,

I agree with every single point you make here. Like you, I've decided to not bother with this crap. I'll only sign on once a week or so, if that, and won't post or participate in the forum unless and until the crap dies down and goes away. I miss the good ole days and the first generation members.

Originally posted by dczoner
Hi folks,

For many of the veteran members I am what you would consider and absolute enthusiast. I am passionate about this car and I enjoy getting to meet anyone else passionate about their cars. As of a few months ago you could regularly find me in the Socal section - organizing meets, going to meets other people organized, making parts and shop rec's, etc.

Nowadays I have absolutely no interest in this section of the site. I am not going to name off "new" faces that have been responsible for some of the attitude that gets thrown around this section, but one way or another the dynamic has definitely changed amongst the SoCal threads.

Additionally whoever is responsible for the "stickying" notes is cluttering up the front page with crap. If a topic is not interesting to anyone, it will die. If it does gather interest, it will live. Its a democracy here and by deeming some threads noteworthy it completely screws up the actual value of the regional boards.

I am tired of all the freakin bickering, I'm tired of this perpetual "cliquing" thats been going on for months. Please knock it off. Please stop "stickying" every little po-dunk event - if its cool the thread will live on its own. If its not cool then it doesn't need to take up page 1 space.

If you're a lurker I invite you to come out to some meets. They are a great place to, well, meet people and learn about the cars, as well as to appreciate the cars in ways you wouldn't normally have the opportunity to - around a bunch of other car nuts. If you're a veteran (of which we're much harder to find any more) I encourage you to take the better road and try to steer this region back to how it used to be - FUN. If you're a noob then please take your time reading the forum and getting an idea of how you should and should not conduct yourself. There are bound to be some trolls but there are also bound to be some diamonds in the rough.

Look, I've been a member on this site before the 350z even existed. I took delivery 8/20/03 - RELEASE DAY. I was involved in the first few 350z meets EVER. Please, if you use My350z.com regional, consider yourself a member of the largest 350z club in the world. There are no dues. There are no requirements for attendance. You can be 18 years old, you can be 78 years old. Hell for the most part we don't even really care if you have a Z! I hope everyone in the region will take a little time to read this and I welcome your comments and feedback. Perhaps I am way off base here.

Fundamentally I would like to see the my350z socal region continue its previous record of being the best resource on the internet for community meets, regional events, mountain/canyon runs, restaurant, club, and other entertainment meet & greets, as well as any esoteric regional commentary.

Thanks for your time and take care.