Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

DFW or East Texas UTEC tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:55 PM
SmokyTyrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFW or East Texas UTEC tuner?

I'm considering a UTEC to round-out the tuning for my NA mods. I'm staying in NA, and realize the UTEC is considered "overkill" by some for NA applications, but it seems to be the most complete solution for any application.

Anyway...I've surfed and searched and all the "pro" UTEC tuners seem to be pretty far. Arizona. North Carolina... Anyone in the DFW area? East Texas? I may even go to Houston if I absolutely have to.

And I want a shop with a rep. Someone who has been doing UTECs on Z's for a while and has documented gains and reliability stories. Maintaining 100% reliability and daily driveability is critical. From my research this seems very possible with the UTEC for an NA setup IF the tuner knows their stuffs.

Any suggestions? Or am I best to drive to one of the "known" UTEC shops out-of-state?

Thx
-Smoky
Old 03-10-2006, 05:45 PM
SmokyTyrz

Bump

No one in this big state can tune a UTEC?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:39 PM
wong hun xun

anyone should be able to tune it.. it doesnt take anything special.. just a laptop..
Old 03-10-2006, 07:16 PM
SmokyTyrz

And a dyno, skills, training, etc.. you can't just start messing with your maps ya know. Even with the tuning wizard that the UTEC has..I'd still rather have a trained pro who knows their way around a dyno. I'd rather have them do it right, then also have enough understanding to show me a few "day to day" uses for maintenance, etc that I can do.

But I would never trust ECU/piggyback tuning to anyone but a pro.

Hence the search.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:22 AM
NISMOFO

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/dynorates.html

I think SGP in Houston might be able to tune UTEC?

"Tuning Services- Piggy Back systems

2WD Cars - $200 First hour and $150 per hour thereafter with wideband

4WD Cars - $250 First hour and $150 per hour thereafter with wideband

Tuning Services Based on TurboXS UTEC, Apex'i SFC, HKS AFR, Greddy E-Manage & all other piggyback systems."
Old 03-16-2006, 11:29 AM
wong hun xun

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
And a dyno, skills, training, etc.. you can't just start messing with your maps ya know. Even with the tuning wizard that the UTEC has..I'd still rather have a trained pro who knows their way around a dyno. I'd rather have them do it right, then also have enough understanding to show me a few "day to day" uses for maintenance, etc that I can do.

But I would never trust ECU/piggyback tuning to anyone but a pro.

Hence the search.
Yes I know that.. i was pointing out you dont need a specific "UTEC" tuner.. You just need a tuner..
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
RBALDINELLII

I can tell you for sure theres nobody in E. Tx that can tune it. I've been considering going to Houston as well. You might try Forced Induction Systems in Mckinney. They do the UTEC for Evo's and WRX's for sure. Might be worth checking into.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:58 AM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by RBALDINELLII
I can tell you for sure theres nobody in E. Tx that can tune it. I've been considering going to Houston as well. You might try Forced Induction Systems in Mckinney. They do the UTEC for Evo's and WRX's for sure. Might be worth checking into.
According to Llare that guy in McKinney is really hard to get a hold of right now? I also heard that he road-tunes the car and doesn't use a dyno. Is this true? There are Pro's/Con's of that for sure.
But going 130mph to tune my car is not what I want to do.

RBADLINELLII. If you're considering going to Houston, I've got an appointment with SGP for 3/25/2006. We could caravan down there together. Two PPW Z's with FI and Iforged Aeros.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:13 AM
RBALDINELLII

Originally Posted by 350Track
According to Llare that guy in McKinney is really hard to get a hold of right now? I also heard that he road-tunes the car and doesn't use a dyno. Is this true? There are Pro's/Con's of that for sure.

RBADLINELLII. If you're considering going to Houston, I've got an appointment with SGP for 3/25/2006. We could caravan down there together. Two PPW Z's with FI and Iforged Aeros.
I wish I could role down there with you, but I wont be making it down there till the end of April. Thanks anyways man. It was good seeing you at the meet again last weekend. Good turn out for sure.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:16 AM
RBALDINELLII

Originally Posted by 350Track

Llare and Desi both got tuned the same day and they were deffinately tuned on a mustang dyno. Shoot Llare a PM over on 350ZOS, he can give you the whole scoop.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by RBALDINELLII
Llare and Desi both got tuned the same day and they were deffinately tuned on a mustang dyno. Shoot Llare a PM over on 350ZOS, he can give you the whole scoop.
Oh, okay...that clears that up. So do you plan on going to SGP (the end of April) just for a tune like me?

I'm praying for no rain on that day.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:27 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
I'm considering a UTEC to round-out the tuning for my NA mods. I'm staying in NA, and realize the UTEC is considered "overkill" by some for NA applications, but it seems to be the most complete solution for any application.

Anyway...I've surfed and searched and all the "pro" UTEC tuners seem to be pretty far. Arizona. North Carolina... Anyone in the DFW area? East Texas? I may even go to Houston if I absolutely have to.

And I want a shop with a rep. Someone who has been doing UTECs on Z's for a while and has documented gains and reliability stories. Maintaining 100% reliability and daily driveability is critical. From my research this seems very possible with the UTEC for an NA setup IF the tuner knows their stuffs.

Any suggestions? Or am I best to drive to one of the "known" UTEC shops out-of-state?

Thx
-Smoky
If you are in the state of Texas and you have a UTEC. I would highly recommend that you have your car Tuned by SGP. A Tuner is only as good as there knowledge of the Engine Management. I cannot guarantee great results otherwise.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 03-17-2006, 09:53 AM
RBALDINELLII

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
If you are in the state of Texas and you have a UTEC. I would highly recommend that you have your car Tuned by SGP. A Tuner is only as good as there knowledge of the Engine Management. I cannot guarantee great results otherwise.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Well, that took care of it for me. SGP, here I come
Old 03-18-2006, 09:47 AM
chickmagnet

i was there just 30 min ago and we were talking enjen management so i know they can do it definatly so good luck with your car