Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Invisible Car Bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:30 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hesitated putting one on the Z and regretted it. The car still looked good when I sold it but man there were so many chips on the front & hood.

I had one immediately installed on the CLK and am loving it. You do need to watch out though. If you go cheap thats what you'll get. My guess is those are the people that have experienced problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 AM
RobNLora

Originally Posted by bixby
I hesitated putting one on the Z and regretted it. The car still looked good when I sold it but man there were so many chips on the front & hood.

I had one immediately installed on the CLK and am loving it. You do need to watch out though. If you go cheap thats what you'll get. My guess is those are the people that have experienced problems.
What price did you pay and where did you go?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
bixby

Well, since it's a Mercedes, I paid about $650.00 which is probably a bit high. It's the original 3m product. I went through Walnut Creek Mercedes Benz who used someone local.

I'm pretty sure you can go through 3M's website and find a certified installer and probably even locate the one the dealership uses.

I'll check my paperwork but I don't think it gives me their name.

EDIT: Here's a link to search for a certified installer.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/

Last edited by bixby; 06-02-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:30 AM
RobNLora

Well, since it's a Mercedes, I paid about $650.00 which is probably a bit high. It's the original 3m product. I went through Walnut Creek Mercedes Benz who used someone local.

I'm pretty sure you can go through 3M's website and find a certified installer and probably even locate the one the dealership uses.

I'll check my paperwork but I don't think it gives me their name.

EDIT: Here's a link to search for a certified installer.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/
I am getting quotes of like $1400 - $1500
Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by RobNLora
I am getting quotes of like $1400 - $1500
For a 350Z?! You trying to cover the entire car? The Z should be no more than $500.00 I'd think. A guy quoted me $1,200.00 to do both my Z and my big a$$ SUV. So figure 600.00 MAX. I got that guy from the 3M search in my previous post too.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:41 AM
RobNLora

For a 350Z?! You trying to cover the entire car? The Z should be no more than $500.00 I'd think. A guy quoted me $1,200.00 to do both my Z and my big a$$ SUV. So figure 600.00 MAX. I got that guy from the 3M search in my previous post too.
What area are you in and who did you contact?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by RobNLora
What area are you in and who did you contact?
Northern California. I think he's the guy in Vacaville.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
06blueZ

Thumbs up

I just got a price quote for 295 bumper and 100 for the headlamps with the 3m film. scheduled to have it installed soon!

Thanks alot for that link to the dealers!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
06blueZ

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
I just got a price quote for 295 bumper and 100 for the headlamps with the 3m film. scheduled to have it installed soon!

even better, the guy wend down to 275 for the bumper, and 3m has a promotion right now that you get a $50 gas card free when you get one installed... cool
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by 06blueZ

Good quote. Make sure it includes the hood portion and side mirrors minimum. You may also want to consider the door edges and below the fuel filler door. Some even include the wheel well edges.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Speed 2000

http://www.xpel.com/products/configu...&submodel=4150
Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 AM
"Z-Rated"

I just purchased my Z 2 weeks ago. During the process of looking for three months I was amazed at the amount of cars out there with damage to the paint from bugs and other debris. I had the clear bra by Llumar put onto the car. Llumar claims to have to clearest and I honestly cant tell that it's even on there. For the whole front bumper, hood and side mirrors it was right at $1,000. It comes with a lifetime warranty on scratches, fading, and any other defects. If a lot of you are as **** about scratches I definately recommend this product. You can wash you car as normal. Everytime I wash I use a product called Plexus on the clear bra. You can find this at most all boat places. Its designed for clear vinyl curtains on yachts. You can see the lines when the car is really dirty but only from a close range. Just my two cents worth.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:07 AM
z-u-later

I installed a 3M clear bra on my bumper, hood, head lamps, fender, mirrors, and door edges. It cost me $700. Get it and you won't regret it. The individuals who are having problems are probably the ones who bought the cheap version and/or installed it themselves. Have a professional do it for you.

The installer who did mine in San Antonio installs the clear bras on Ferraris, Porsches, Lexus, BMWs, Mercedes Benz, etc. These are high-end cars/SUVs and my Z was probably on the low-end.

I noticed most of the discussions are focused on the bumper. Don't forget that you can get chips/dings on your hood/fenders as well. If you have a 2006, you may want a clear bra on your Xenon head lamps. They cost over $1K to replace, so that alone is enough justification to get a clear bra. It is warranted for five years against yellowing, bubbling, cracking, etc.

Here are the 3M dealers/installers in the Dallas area:

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealers...&submit=Submit

You spent $30K on your Z -- don't go cheap on her if you want a clear bra.

Oh, BTW, the installer came to my house to install the clear bra so that was cool -- no extra charge.

Last edited by z-u-later; 08-21-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Travisf@i-a-v.c

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I installed a 3M clear bra on my bumper, hood, head lamps, fender, mirrors, and door edges. It cost me $700. Get it and you won't regret it. The individuals who are having problems are probably the ones who bought the cheap version and/or installed it themselves. Have a professional do it for you.

The installer who did mine in San Antonio installs the clear bras on Ferraris, Porsches, Lexus, BMWs, Mercedes Benz, etc. These are high-end cars/SUVs and my Z was probably on the low-end.

I noticed most of the discussions are focused on the bumper. Don't forget that you can get chips/dings on your hood/fenders as well. If you have a 2006, you may want a clear bra on your Xenon head lamps. They cost over $1K to replace, so that alone is enough justification to get a clear bra. It is warranted for five years against yellowing, bubbling, cracking, etc.

Here are the 3M dealers/installers in the Dallas area:

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealers...&submit=Submit

You spent $30K on your Z -- don't go cheap on her if you want a clear bra.

Oh, BTW, the installer came to my house to install the clear bra so that was cool -- no extra charge.
I live in Houston, but will soon be moving to La Grange. Can you give a link to Houston and/or La Grange area installers? BTW, La Grange is closer to Austin than Houston. I don't want the cheap version.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Speed 2000

I think this guy is in Houston.
shingles@alumni.utexas.net
Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Travisf@i-a-v.c
I live in Houston, but will soon be moving to La Grange. Can you give a link to Houston and/or La Grange area installers? BTW, La Grange is closer to Austin than Houston. I don't want the cheap version.
Go to the site below and enter your zip code to find the closest 3M dealer:

http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch.asp
Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Chrispy
GURU

Originally Posted by Travisf@i-a-v.c
check out brocks collision in nw houston . he did an amazing job on our z! most people never see it, you have to be on top of it to know its there. he even installed our tint on the taillights. ask for larry.
http://www.brockscollisionrepair.com/
i will post pics soon....