Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Need help w/no front plate ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 07:57 PM
shemp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/no front plate ticket

I was pulled over today by Harris County Sheriff's Dept. He claimed that I didn't come to a full and complete stop when turning right at a red light. I didn't argue with him. He also commented on why I did not have a front plate. Being that I was a bit exhausted from a day at the office I was unable to come up with a good lie or excuse. Therefore I just went with the truth and told him that I simply don't like the way a front plate looks on my new car. And also mentioned I wasn't thrilled with the idea of drilling holes in my front bumper. Not good enough excuse as far as he was concerned. He said it's the law and that's why they send you two license plates and he wrote me a ticket. However, he was kind enough not to write a ticket for failing to stop at a light. Therefore this isn't a moving violation. But the thing is , I don't want to put the front plate on at all. No way! not gonna happen! Has anybody gotten out of this ticket without giving in and putting the plate on? Can I take a photoshop pic w/the plate attached and show it to the judge? Surely they don't actually come outside and verify that it's on! I hope that they have better things to do than to worry about if my Z is in compliance to suce a stupid dumbass law. I'm very hard-headed and I'm determined to not put a front plate on my beautiful Z!

Any ideas??
Old 04-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Rob Nance

Can't you just pay the fine? How much is it? I will never put one on my car. Push comes to shove, zip tie it on or something else temporary, then take it right back off.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:05 AM
duc996

Get some velcro and put it on. After you get your ticket signed off, pull it off and take the velco off.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:20 AM
magneticZ

Default plate bracket

Check out this post from AudioPat, he crested a bracket that bolts into the factory bolts in the grille area, fully removable.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+plate+bracket
Old 04-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Rob Nance

Yeah, there are some do-it-yourself things, and some for sale by companies I think.

I think it's so silly to have front plates. Drive around and look to see what distance you can read a person's plate from coming up behind them. It is hard to read even at close range. A front plate's only use I could imagine would be for a cop looking at you at a stop light where he is stopped on the other side, you MIGHT be able to read it. The other function would be surveillance cameras I guess.

/rant off
Old 04-17-2003, 01:50 PM
mf01

I don't know if this pertains to having a front plate law, but I remember reading somewhere that Lasar Guns (for speed) reflect off of the front plate. I guess without the front plates Laser's aren't as effective.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:47 PM
ttheisen93

I'd pay the fine and leave the plate off. Consider the rare ticket you're going to get for it part of the cost of owning a piece of art. I'm not even going to do one of those temporary mountings. I'll just take the hit when it comes, knowing it's worth it.

Don't try photoshopping, as perjury is a felony, which would be a beyotch to get caught for. Can you imagine doing time in the pokey for lying about your front plate? Then don't go down that path please!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:40 PM
TereP

OK, it's easy in Texas.

First zip tie it to the grill.
Get your ticket dismissed.
Cut the ties and then do this (Texas legal); flip down the passenger's visor if there's a cop around in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Need help w/no front plate ticket-frtplt1.jpg  

Last edited by TereP; 04-17-2003 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:40 PM
MilleniumZ03

Originally posted by TereP
OK, it's easy in Texas.

First zip tie it to the grill.
Get your ticket dismissed.
Cut the ties and then do this (Texas legal); flip down the passenger's visor if there's a cop around in the future.
BAD **** TERE! I did not know that. I dont have the front plate on my truck and have yet to be pulled over. I think generally the cops dont care unless they need some tickets to write or they are a new cop and pull anybody over for anything. Who knows, Any cops around here with an opinion?
Old 04-18-2003, 08:57 AM
TereP

Originally posted by MilleniumZ03
BAD **** TERE! I did not know that. I dont have the front plate on my truck and have yet to be pulled over. I think generally the cops dont care unless they need some tickets to write or they are a new cop and pull anybody over for anything. Who knows, Any cops around here with an opinion?
Thanks! The overwhemling majority of cops in TX usually won't stop you for the missing front plate alone (exceptions being the stereotypical small town sheriff with a bad case of hemorroids); they stop you for something else, and then pile everything on they can. So the front plate sun visor just prevents them from piling the missing plate on. BTW, the TX law reads "displayed at the front and rear," which is interpreted as visible from the front and rear; hence you'll see a lot of vehicles with plates displayed in the front and rear windows (especially, out-on-the-ranch pick 'em ups).
Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I got a ticket for no front licenst plate, it was from HPD officer. Just take a pic with the front licenst plate attached, then show it to the judge. he/she will dismiss it. you don't even need the license plate attach at all times..
Old 04-19-2003, 11:24 PM
WebToker

Default Re: Need help w/no front plate ticket

Just pay the ticket online. Done, finished, **** it, who cares. I think the ticket is like 50 - 75 bucks. It's not even worth thinking about it.

Last edited by WebToker; 04-19-2003 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:27 AM
01LTD

Default Re: Re: Need help w/no front plate ticket

Originally posted by WebToker
Just pay the ticket online. Done, finished, **** it, who cares. I think the ticket is like 50 - 75 bucks. It's not even worth thinking about it.
Depends on the city of the citation, here in Dallas the ticket is about $150-$175 and in Frisco it's close to $200. What I would do is just take a picture of your car with the front plate and then just take it to court to show proof that you have it on and it will be dismissed. After the picture is taken, take the plate back off.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:11 PM
WebToker

Default Re: Re: Re: Need help w/no front plate ticket

Originally posted by 01LTD
Depends on the city of the citation, here in Dallas the ticket is about $150-$175 and in Frisco it's close to $200. What I would do is just take a picture of your car with the front plate and then just take it to court to show proof that you have it on and it will be dismissed. After the picture is taken, take the plate back off.
I have had one of these before and I know I didn't pay anything more that $75.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:25 AM
shemp

Thanks for all of the ideas, especially the one from Tere.
It just burns me up to be ticketed for something so petty.
Also I don't think I have ever seen a Corvette with a front plate.
So how are they getting away with it?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by shemp
Thanks for all of the ideas, especially the one from Tere.
It just burns me up to be ticketed for something so petty.
Also I don't think I have ever seen a Corvette with a front plate.
So how are they getting away with it?
I have seen some with front plates. The fact of the matter is, they probably aren't "getting away with it", just like us. They have the same problems we do I'm sure.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:42 AM
TereP

Originally posted by Rob Nance
I have seen some with front plates. The fact of the matter is, they probably aren't "getting away with it", just like us. They have the same problems we do I'm sure.
Yep, neither of my Vettes had front plates. Only got stopped once for no front plates in my '78 -- pulled the plate out from behind the passenger seat and tossed it up on the dash. I only got a scolding from the local gendarme.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:38 PM
toykilla

just say you didnt know it was the law, ive used that 10+ times and never ticketed.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:56 PM
t32gzz

Check out this excuse, it has worked for me! Bend and smash the front plate with a hammer, and beat the sh$% out of the plate. Slide it under your front seat and if you get pulled over and they mention the lack of a front plate, pull out the smashed plate and tell them you wrecked the car, had it fixed, ordered a new plate, and you are just waiting for it.....works every time!
Old 05-04-2003, 07:23 PM
akared

I got pulled over this weekend for having no front plate on my 75 vette while driving down the highway by a DPS officer who was parked on the side of the road. Do not know how he could tell I didn't have one, but he just gave me a warning so I did not ask too many questions. I like yalls ideas about keeping it under the seat

Quick Reply: Need help w/no front plate ticket