Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Need to get my brake pads replaced ..please advise a shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:23 AM
tripndesi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need to get my brake pads replaced ..please advise a shop

Hey guys. I've been on my350z browsing and I currently have a touring 2003 non-brembo Z. While driving, I noticed the BRAKE light come on and off, randomly. The last time I got my brakes replaced, it was 89 per axle from the dealership.

I called this morning, and he said it would be 131 for the fronts and 129 for the rears to be replaced. I know dealerships charge high prices, but the previous deal for 89 was resonable to me.

I am by no means a car expert / mechanic and I'd rather leave this type of work for the experts. Is this a good deal? Or can someone do this job for me if you are qualified too?

Please help, I really need to get these brakes replaced before it eats up my cross drilled rotors. I live in down town Las colinas (Irving)

Thankz!

Mark
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
wayneside

call German @ GS Motorsports in Irving. he is close by and can get the job done for you...214.334.4762
Old 02-04-2008, 06:58 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Actually that sounds kinda cheap from the dealership.

I would think they would be more in the 250's for just the fronts.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a place called lube tech, sean the owner, he charges 80 for front and rear if you bring your own pads...its off of marsh and trinity mills
Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
tripndesi

I called German and he said he could do both front and rear for 80 per axle. This sounds good - right?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 PM
tripndesi

dan called me back and he said he could do Hawk Brake Pads FRONT AND REAR + Labor + Tax for $184.71!! I'm going to Dan.

Thank you!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
ToXiC

man brakes r really easy to change none of ur friends know how to do a brake job
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

Originally Posted by tripndesi
dan called me back and he said he could do Hawk Brake Pads FRONT AND REAR + Labor + Tax for $184.71!! I'm going to Dan.

Thank you!
Good choice!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

First of all, if you're going to replace your brake pads, do it yourself. Paying any amount will be a wate of money and a missed chance of obtaining new knowledge, not to mention missing time with your car. If you really want to pay someone, then I'll gladly do it for $20 less than the best quote you got (given that you provide the brake pads).

No offense to anybody, but please be sure to help troubleshoot the problem first before throwing shops' names left and right, which only leads to money wasted.

Tripndesi, it sounds like your problem may not have anything to do with your brake pads. Do your brakes squeal when you brake? If not, then it's most likely not your brake pads.

Most likely, the reason why the brake light comes on is that your brake fluid is low. That's the most common reason. This is also in your owner's manual and on our forums (via search - https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5366304).

There could be other possible reasons, but do check your brake fluid level first.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
First of all, if you're going to replace your brake pads, do it yourself. Paying any amount will be a wate of money and a missed chance of obtaining new knowledge, not to mention missing time with your car. If you really want to pay someone, then I'll gladly do it for $20 less than the best quote you got (given that you provide the brake pads).

No offense to anybody, but please be sure to help troubleshoot the problem first before throwing shops' names left and right, which only leads to money wasted.

Tripndesi, it sounds like your problem may not have anything to do with your brake pads. Do your brakes squeal when you brake? If not, then it's most likely not your brake pads.

Most likely, the reason why the brake light comes on is that your brake fluid is low. That's the most common reason. This is also in your owner's manual and on our forums (via search - https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5366304).

There could be other possible reasons, but do check your brake fluid level first.

+1 man Im glad I learned from My Dad back when I was 14 to replace pads...no telling how much money I would have wasted since then...I currently have 4 vehicles, one being the Z and two trailers..I would hate to see how much one round would cost me! I.E. every vehicle and trailer having the pads replaced one time by a shop...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with you Chris, but I am always hesitant on working on the car without any prior experience with someone showing me how to do it. I watched Dan install my oem brembo this past weekend. I am confident I can do it now if I had to. I will change my pads and rotors myself when it comes time.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Nexx
I agree with you Chris, but I am always hesitant on working on the car without any prior experience with someone showing me how to do it. I watched Dan install my oem brembo this past weekend. I am confident I can do it now if I had to. I will change my pads and rotors myself when it comes time.
I'm exactly the opposite. I like doing things myself first, and if and only if I fail, will I call these so-called "experts." I see your point though, Jason.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 AM
WalkerT
Professional

I feel the same as Chris everyone should take the time to learn how to install their own stuff. It will give you a new found pride for your car and the hobby if you invest the time your self.

You must always remember the person that designed your car is not any smarter than you...that person just applied him/her self.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 AM
tripndesi

Thanks for the responses my fellow TX-Z members. I will go to Dan, have an expert install them and watch how he does it. I'll write this off as a course in brake pad replacements.

One thing, he is also reccomended using Motul oil in my car full-synthetic. I currently have AMS in there. Anyone have experience with this brand? Thumbs up or down? He's quoting $249 for the brakes + oil change.

ThankZ!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Sonicspeed

Thanks for the responses my fellow TX-Z members. I will go to Dan, have an expert install them and watch how he does it. I'll write this off as a course in brake pad replacements.

One thing, he is also reccomended using Motul oil in my car full-synthetic. I currently have AMS in there. Anyone have experience with this brand? Thumbs up or down? He's quoting $249 for the brakes + oil change.

ThankZ!

I use motul in my car and I will not be using anything else in my Z again. Its a very good brand of Sythetic oil, and I recommend trying it out. The engine will run much smoother once you give it a try. The price difference from his first and second quote sounds about right too so Id say you are getting a good price. Some of the other local's who have had Dan put Motul in the Z for them have said nothing but good things that I have come across.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM
bommart

ThankZ!
its ok not to want to do a brake job, or any other work on your car, yourself. but i know some people have gone to dan (including myself) and always have had two thumbs up. had him install my ss clutch line, plenium spacer and motul fluids. excellent work and service!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 AM
michaeljr6

dan ftmfw!!!! i got most of my mods done by him and he does his work 100%
Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Congrats on getting everything done. As long as you're happy with it, it's all good.

BTW, that 400 is at the crank, not to the wheels right?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 AM
ed350

change the pad alone is easy.DIY..change to a brembo brake now that another isssue..
Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

Congrats on getting everything done. As long as you're happy with it, it's all good.

BTW, that 400 is at the crank, not to the wheels right?
Yes..I believe he's putting down around 350ish to the wheels.

+1 for Dan and Motul, great guy and great oil

Quick Reply: Need to get my brake pads replaced ..please advise a shop