Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

no front plate ticket help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:53 AM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no front plate ticket help

i got a no front license plate ticket. i plead not guilty.. the fine is only 75$...if i go in with the plate on will they drop the ticket? or should i just pay the 75 and be done?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey Ya

Default Re: no front plate ticket help

Originally posted by toykilla
i got a no front license plate ticket. i plead not guilty.. the fine is only 75$...if i go in with the plate on will they drop the ticket? or should i just pay the 75 and be done?
I've never gotten in trouble for this, only a warning, but I'd try to go in with the plate on. Even if you make a temporary bracket to hold it I think it would be better to try that than having to pay and having it on your record.

But in reality, if I did get a ticket for this, I'd probably just end up paying because it would be too much of a hassle to take off work and go to court.

So now that I've totally contradicted myself, I'm going to lunch.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

How much do you make in a day (don't answer here, just consider)? If you miss work for a couple of hours, will you have forfeited $75? More than $75? If so, then pay the fine. If missing a couple/few hours of work equates to substantially less than $75, then by all means, get the picture taken with your plate on the front of the car (I mean, it doesn't have to be "drill holes in your bumper" permanent.

I always weigh the cost-to-benefit ratio, especially when it comes to income...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:32 AM
gooters

Double poster

So...where did this happen? That reeks! Can you handle it through the mail or by fax with a picture? If so...do that.

If not, only go to court if it is worth your time. Also, just get a bracket w/o drilling in your bumper and then remove the LP after court.

Geez...sorry to hear that Josh, that is the most freakin retarded law I have ever heard of, other than the "slow down by 20 mph when passing an emergency vehicle on the shoulder" law, which is being abused in every major city in TX.

Sometimes I wonder about TX legislators. Let us know how it ends up?!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:38 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Josh, I'd be a little wary of taking your car to court to contest the ticket--if the cop and/or judge felt like being real ******, they could always start asking questions about your tint, as well.

I know Marcus has had one of these tickets and he strapped his front plate on to get the ticket dismissed, but only do it if it's worth your time and effort.

Stupid law. If I ever get one, I'm going to go around taking pics of all the front ends I see without plates and ask why I'm being discriminated against.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:52 AM
gooters

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Stupid law. If I ever get one, I'm going to go around taking pics of all the front ends I see without plates and ask why I'm being discriminated against.
I'm a WASP Male
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 AM
toykilla

oh **** i forgot about my tint.. that settles it

I AM PAYING THE MAN!

Last edited by toykilla; 01-21-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:01 AM
toykilla

I have been warned about the plate law everytime that i have been pulled over in the past 5 years...but this is the first time that it was the reason for being pulled over!..

a friend of mine is a cop and he said yes, they have the right to do that, but only a dick copy would actually do it...what a schmuck!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:02 AM
twenzel

man, just zip tie it to the front grill and go to the court room
It will take about 10 minutes and save you $75. Then take it back off while still in the court room parking lot.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:03 AM
toykilla

BTW just so everyone knows i have Limo tint on my car....just occrued to me that they may say something about that
Old 01-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by toykilla
BTW just so everyone knows i have Limo tint on my car....just occrued to me that they may say something about that
Yeah, me too. I'd be careful there with the tint. I've only been pulled over once about my license plate and it was the reason I was pulled over, but this wasn't in the z. Good luck, let us know what happens if you go to court.

edited to make sense

Last edited by Hey Ya; 01-21-2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:13 PM
NissanJunkie

Damn the MAN, i got the Same ticket man.... well that and 65/40, which is ******** i mighta been 5-10 over but not 25 over... i am contesting in court because he wouldnt let me see the radar, i got a lawyer and all.... he says this kinda thing he deals with all the time.... so wish me luck.... about the plate ticket my lawyer said just to take a pic with it on your car, and send it in when you pay.... i double sided taped it to my car, then took pic , then removed.... just what Damn the F*CKEN Richardson P.D.

Mase~
Old 01-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Bankheist

I got pulled over doing 34 in a 35... no front plate... the only thing he could do.

I reach behind my seat and showed him my bent up plate (off road rally) and told him I was expecting personalized plates any day.

Then he pointed to my radar detector and said "you know, we dont like to see those things." I replied, "yeah, but what can you do?"

I have a clean record and everything is kosher, if he was gonna be a ***** and pull me over for no front plate, I'd just soon as waste his time some more. ***.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Terminator

Josh, Sux you got pulled over for that. Is that considered a moving violation? If not I would just pay it and be done with it.

Sorry to borrow your thread but I need some advice as well. I got ticketed doing 100 on Bush. I was minding my own business doing 75-80 (other cars around me doing about the same) at night about a mile before crossing the toll plaza when I see a car aggressively coming at me from the rear like he was trying to pass me to get in my lane (toll tag only). So what am I to do? I drop it in 4th and floor it. I see him in the rear keeping pace with me for about a hundred yards until I start to pull away. That is when he turns on the lights and I start !#@$!%. I had my radar detector on but he didnt use a radar. He said he paced me at 100 and that is what is reflected on the ticket, 100 in a 40. Well first of all its 45 near the toll plaza not 40. Secondly if I am cruising 75-80 and he is gaining fast on me from the rear, I estimate he was doing at least 90. Its a pretty dirty tactic to try to provoke me but dont know if I have a leg to stand on in court. I guess it could have been worse and I could have went to jail.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-22-2004, 07:08 AM
gooters

He saw your car Sean. Wanted to find you doing something wrong. Guess the moral of the story is to see who you are racing first!

Sorry for your rotten luck, btw.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:32 AM
twenzel

Terminator, I would get a lawyer for that one.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:40 PM
BEAVR Z

NissanJunkie that sucks

Hope that works out for ya. Probably depends on what court they sent u to. I got nabbed on the tollway by a statie last summer (didn't have the blueZ then). Guy sends me to the JP in Richardson. Call my ticket lawyer, "Oh, can't appeal to that court, sorry!" The JP then bombards you with paperwork and run-around.

-Bit
Old 01-22-2004, 04:10 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Routine stop gone bad

Originally posted by Bankheist

Then he pointed to my radar detector and said "you know, we dont like to see those things." I replied, "yeah, but what can you do?"
You know, he might have let you go with a warning if you hadn't antagonized him with sarcasm.

I don't know how you meant it to sound, but your comment sound very sarcastic to me. If I was the cop it would have pissed me off for sure.

You asked what he could do. That challenged him by making him sound powerless. He responded by showing you what he could do. Apparently what he could do was bust your chops with a nuisance ticket.

I ain't flaming you. I have made plenty of mistakes. I just wanted to point it out so you get off easier next time. Sharing my sometimes-hard-earned experience as it were.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:06 PM
zcardave

Andy B.

we do things a little different here in Texas.
Not necessarily better....just different

zcardave
Old 01-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Bankheist

Default Re: Routine stop gone bad

Originally posted by AndyB
You know, he might have let you go with a warning if you hadn't antagonized him with sarcasm.

I don't know how you meant it to sound, but your comment sound very sarcastic to me. If I was the cop it would have pissed me off for sure.

You asked what he could do. That challenged him by making him sound powerless. He responded by showing you what he could do. Apparently what he could do was bust your chops with a nuisance ticket.

I ain't flaming you. I have made plenty of mistakes. I just wanted to point it out so you get off easier next time. Sharing my sometimes-hard-earned experience as it were.
Sorry man, I guess I forgot to mention that he wasnt going to give me a ticket for no front plate since I had a legitimate excuse for not having it on (it was broken).

Once he pointed out that he couldnt get me for anything, it made me feel like his entire purpose was to find some fault with anyone and ticket them.

So knowing I was squeaky clean in this instance, and on my record, I fought back and became just as big of a dick. I don't care if he didnt like it, I didnt like being harassed in the middle of the day on my day off for some pointless law thats only designed to help cops catch oncomming speeders (reflective front plates).

Quick Reply: no front plate ticket help