Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Apex Super AFC 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Forbidden Donut
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex Super AFC 2

I asked a guy at a performance shop and he told me that if i buy one of these and let them tune it then the car would be able to make gains of around 30whp. i just thought that it was wierd that nobody here never mentioned that. I am young and still learning about cars, so please excuse me if i sound retarded right now....
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 PM
chimmike

30whp seems way high. maybe 5-10, but beyond that it's on the ragged edge of safety.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 PM
jkaale

Default I made 18hp on mine

Then I took it off to go F I, is for sale if you are interested. $225 shipped. You can email me at jkaale3333@yahoo.com or call me at 321-689-7047. I will be in Miami Thurs, Friday, and Saturday for H.I.N. so if you want to know something sooner, pls. call me. Jim Kaale
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 PM
kzshin

you got 18hp, just on SAFC2 alone???? did you had exhaust and other things before install SAFC2??
Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 AM
atadlo

Originally Posted by kzshin
you got 18hp, just on SAFC2 alone???? did you had exhaust and other things before install SAFC2??

+1
I'm interested in hearing about this...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:57 AM
Nismo.Z

Originally Posted by atadlo
+1
I'm interested in hearing about this...
same here. let us know plz
Old 12-08-2005, 06:20 AM
jkaale

Default Yes, exhaust, and headers were on the car before I put the afci on.

I had the car dyno'd before, and after.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Dont you have to flash your computer to use this and hold the programing? I thought the G/Z's computer relearns and adjust every 50 miles or so. That would mean you will see gains on a dyno but later the computer will adjust for the changes made. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SR71
Dont you have to flash your computer to use this and hold the programing? I thought the G/Z's computer relearns and adjust every 50 miles or so. That would mean you will see gains on a dyno but later the computer will adjust for the changes made. Does anyone know for sure?
+1

I thought that the ECU would override any changes made with the AFC. I highly doubt you are going to make 30+ whp with an AFC tune. However, if you are interested I have a brand new S-AFC II for $250. PM me for details.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:00 PM
oo_snoopy

Originally Posted by SR71

I've only heard rumors of the ECU resetting the changes, however I've heard from plenty of people who's SAFC-2 is still working great.

I know first hand myself when I go back to the dyno.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:16 PM
kzshin

I think ECU resetting is a rumor also.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM
done12many2

I personally saw a gain of 9 hp, and it was as the car was richened up. I had NA mods prior to the SAFC II and was slightly lean. The SAFC II just allowed me to get the most out of the mods I already had.

In regards to the ECU cancelling out the SAFC II settings. That is simply not true. I have thousands of miles with my current NA tune and nitrous tune, neither of which have changed due to the ECU resetting it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by done12many2
I personally saw a gain of 9 hp, and it was as the car was richened up. I had NA mods prior to the SAFC II and was slightly lean. The SAFC II just allowed me to get the most out of the mods I already had.

In regards to the ECU cancelling out the SAFC II settings. That is simply not true. I have thousands of miles with my current NA tune and nitrous tune, neither of which have changed due to the ECU resetting it.

Interesting! I had intentions of using the S-AFC to lean out my top end slightly. I may end up installing this after all.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
LaPuLaPu

Originally Posted by oo_snoopy
I've only heard rumors of the ECU resetting the changes, however I've heard from plenty of people who's SAFC-2 is still working great.

I know first hand myself when I go back to the dyno.

This is from what was stated from AAM regarding our ECU.

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
The factory ECU has three different timing/fuel maps built in. When the factory ECU sees certian conditions it will select map A, B, or C. Because the Emanage Ultimate is just modifying the input signals and some of the output signals it is still depended on the factory ECU for its base fuel and timing. In other words it is a so-called "dumb" computer.

Lets say the EU was tuned while the car is using Map B, which is normal for dyno conditions. Then the car is taken out and run on the street. Things are nice and peachy until the car decides to run Timing MAP A becasue the weather is cool, no knock is detected by the factory knock sensor, and what ever other conditions are met to move to the A Map. Now on the A Map your timing is Advance by 2 to 7 degrees! This is completely unsafe for any high performance/compression/boosted motor.

The factory ECU also has a dynamic fueling stratagy that can vary fuel trims by ~20%. A 5% swing is huge for any performance motor.

The UTEC is a so-called "smart" computer. It is able to determine when it wants to fire the coils and injectors. Its has its own drivers, just like the factory ECU to tell the injector to fire and to tell the coil when to ignite. There is no way for the factory ECU to trim fuel curves and no way for the factory ECU to advance timing. The UTEC has just taken that control away. For a naturally aspirated VQ this is not a huge concern, but for a boosted motor this is the safest way to go about it. Without a doubt this is THE PREMIER Engine Management, short of the HKS F-Con Pro.