Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Which Air/Fuel Computer is the Best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Emax02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a Apexi S-AFC for $266 shipped via a group deal. I have a moddified 2002 maxima putting down 230 WHP.

At the momment I am putting down 30-40 WHP over stock. Every time I go to the dyno shop my car stinks the whole place up, once I hit 6000+ RPM the car runs extremly rich. I suspect leaning the mixture out will yieled some gains.

To be continued..

NightRider , there is a way to fool the ecu from resorting back to the factory specs.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:47 PM
MacGuru

Originally posted by Emax02
I just ordered a Apexi S-AFC for $266 shipped via a group deal.
Where did you purchase from? Will the work with the 350Z?
Thanks. -m
Old 01-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Emax02

Originally posted by MacGuru
Where did you purchase from? Will the work with the 350Z?
Thanks. -m
There is a group deal in the group deal forum over on www.maxima.org . It should work just fine on a 350Z, it's almost mechanicaly identical to the maxima.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:18 PM
NightRider

I'm glad there is a way around the ECU!! Why couldn't we have known about this before I took my S-AFC off though? Good thing I still have it; I may use it again in the Z. If I change my mind, I'll put it up for sale.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the mods won't allow us to delete our own posts, this sentence will have to serve.

Last edited by Intrepid; 01-27-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:03 PM
studman

I've got a 2002 Maxima that has the Greddy E-Manage. When I got it, there were no settings for it. So I copied the settings off the 350Z that the shop had it installed in. So I know for a fact that the E-Manage WILL work in the 350Z. As a matter of fact, my 350Z is getting horrible gas milage. So I ordered the E-Manage for it as well. I've already got the English version of the software (and their cable) so I didn't have to fork out the extra $$$ for it.

More about the E-Manage:

Greddy said (awhile back) that while the E-Manage will allow for upgraded fuel injectors and timing contol, their tests with the timing control on the 350Z had problems. I've yet to call them back and find out the details, as they were still testing it when I last spoke to them. The unit DOES have a 16x16 tuning page, will support controlling an additional 2 injectors over stock, will control VTEC engines (for those Honda/Acura boys), amongst other things.

1) The average going price is between $300-350. This does not include the harnesses required in order to control the timing or ignitors.
2) The injector and timing harnesses are are between $25-50 each.
3) The E-Manage software is almost required, as the unit can only tune air/fuels without it.
4) The unit's air/fuel tuning is very limited compared to the software. The unit can only tune +/-20% at set intervals of 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, and 6k without the software.
5) With the software, adjustments can be made at any interval and can be adjusted +/-50%. The software averages about $120-130.
6) The VTEC management is only available through the software.
7) The ignition/timing control is only available through the software and you must purchase the harnesses.
8) As with all other air/fuel piggy-back computers, you will need to tune it on a dyno.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:14 PM
OvaYahead

Default apexi 3 on a g35coupe

I know someone with a g35 coupe that put on the apexi 3. It was on a automatic, so this might not apply to manuals. but he said that it worked for a second then the ECU adapted making the apexi worthless.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:54 PM
S12 driver

Originally posted by NightRider
Also, Nissan's ECU is a learning ECU. If it sees a pattern of MAF signals, it will adapt to those signals. This means that your settings will only be effective until the ECU fully resets. After that, the car will perform as it did before.
I think even learning ecu have limits, just like the knock sensor and timing retards, it can only "learn" so much, so say if you just lean it out a bit, then the ecu learns, then you do it again, the ecu's learning curve is at limit, then if you tune it again, the ecu will not be able to compensate. I don't know if it will trigger a cel or not since I don't have experience w/OBDII ecus. But from a computer program stand point, it will NOT be able to compensate over a certain value.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:29 PM
ChromeBullit

Default SAFC

I think the SAFC is a good tool. My experience with this tool has always been positive. On my '97 TT, I went from 390 rwhp to 420 rwhp and on my '98 Lexus GS400 I went from 230 rwhp to 240 rwhp. On both cars the only mod was the SAFC. I do agree that the results may vary for different cars but I think it worth the possibility of releasing some hp. Plus everybody is talking about getting Forced Induction, wouldn't the SAFC be a good product to control fuel after FI? I think so.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:52 PM
studman

Default More info on the Greddy E-Manage

I spoke with Greddy yesterday about installing the E-Manage unit in the Z. They said NOT to use the Ignition part of the unit, as they have already burned through 2 coils. They did say that the unit will work with the Z (as they are using it on the 350ZTT they are building), but that a circuit has to be designed in order to get the tach signal to work. I've emailed the guy I spoke with in hopes that I could get the schematics of the design. He was going to forward them over to Greddy in Japan to get an answer, as Greddy USA didn't know the specs themselves.

On the flip side of the coin, Greddy also failed to mention in their photocopied instructions that the gray wire needed to be hooked up to the APS (accelerator position sensor). That was interesting to know because I've been running the unit in my Maxima now with no problems, but haven't been able to change settings based upon accelerator position.

So now, the Maxima APS is working good, and I'm just waiting on an email from Greddy with the tach specs for the 350Z. But I'm just confirming that the E-Manage WILL WORK with the 350Z.

There's no word on whether or not Greddy will provide the circuit needed for the 350Z with the E-Manage or not. I'll let you know more when I know more.

And for the money, the E-Manage can do a whole lot more than the S-AFC II can, but expect to shell out about $300-350 for the unit AND $120-130 for the software in order to use it to it's maximum capacity. Tuning is also extra. Unless you have installed a Wideband (O2) sensor in your exhaust, you'll need to rent a dyno to tune the unit.

As for features, the E-Manage allows you to adjust the air/fuel rates not only based on RPMs (like the S-AFC II), but also by acceleration position as well. This allows for setting the adjustments based upon whether you are daily driving or racing. This feature is only available with the software.

Any more questions....? I'm game.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:23 PM
SizongZ

I'm hoping that when Apex-i releases the English version of the S-AFC II, sometime in June I think, I might be able to get them to dyno it on my Z. If they do I'll post the dyno and see if there is any improvement. Personally I don't think it will boost the HP but put out higher HP at the lower RPMs... we'll see....
Old 04-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Zrated909

hey if anyone is interested i have a APEXI safc 2 4 sale. it is not even out yet. it is a limited edition one. they only made 1000 of them worldwide.the only difference from the standard safc 2 is that the screen is black and it lights up white like the defi gauges. 320$ hit me up
Old 04-30-2003, 07:57 AM
SizongZ

hehe.. the limited edition one is for outside the US, i.e. Japan. The S-AFC II that is going to be released in the States is the limited edition one. But 320 is good price.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Tortuga

Default Thinking of removing Apexi SAFC

Well the car had this already installed when I purchased. I am thinking of removing it due to what I have been reading on this forum. I did purchase an extended warranty and do not want to have to deal with removing it if I need to take the car in for any warranty work. I have heard that something like this that is piggy-backed onto the ECU may void some of the warranty. My car is NA so I don't think it is making too big a difference in performance, I think I can do without.