Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

E-Manage Ultimate N/A Self-tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default E-Manage Ultimate N/A Self-tuning Questions

Hey guys. I really hope this thread does not go ignored, I have read the entire "EMANAGE ULTIMATE ALMOST HERE!" thread and have been searching all over to try to figure this stuff out.

My goal is to get this thing installed and create a very safe/conservative initial map for my N/A setup, I want to be able to datalog everything (AFR, timing) and make some minor adjustments accordingly. I am interested in the target AFR feature as well. Ultimately I plan to get it tuned on a load-based dyno, but I want to have the experience of tuning it myself.

Do I need a third-party wideband? Since my car is an 05, doesn't it have a factory wideband sensor? This was my understanding. Is the factory wideband sensor not capable of datalogging, or is it simply not as reliable as a third-party wideband sensor & gauge ?

Next question:

The stock ECU adjusts all the time, right? Well from what I've been reading, it seems that the EU makes offset-type adjustments to stock ECU parameters, is this right?

So my question is, if the stock ECU adjusts (say it advances timing by 2 degrees), will the EU respond by keeping the same offset (overall timing is now +2 degrees), or will it decrease the offset to maintain the same resulting timing as before (no change in overall timing)?

I don't know if this stuff is covered in the instruction manual, but I don't have the unit yet (it's coming around Monday). I would greatly appreciate it if you experts could help me understand how this thing works... rest assured I will read the manual cover to cover several times...

Mike

P.S. Last question (for now)

If I get a third party wideband, do I need 1 sensor? 2? Do I replace the factory O2 sensor or sensors or what should I do?

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 05-13-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

OK Sharif informed me that the factory wideband O2 sensor is probably not compatible with the EU due to nonlinear voltage signal.

Thanks Sharif!

That still leaves my other question -

Thanks guys

Mike