Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Any CARB (CA) legal EMS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 07:41 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by OCG35
but they can do their typical diagnostics?...

Funny, I've had it for many months and never really considered this...

It really depends on the dealership and if they snoop around. Most the time they don't ever need to even check your ECU for any diagnosis. Often times customers will take their car into the dealership and try to hide that they have Osiris on there, the dealership flashes it back to stock because they were never told not to, and that leads to problems.

Our local dealership is fine with our product on customers cars, they send customers to us, we work well with them. Other dealerships will try and tell you that your warranty is void if you have a Nismo oil cap (that you probably bought from them anyway) on your car. It just depends on the dealership.

This may become less of an issue as dealerships become more hungry for money and want to do warranty work and keep their customers very happy. They can't really live off the fat of the land anymore, and you'll find more and more nice dealerships every day.
Old 09-03-2008 | 07:13 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat
Premier Member

Originally Posted by UpRev
Yup, it shows up differently than a blank stock ROM does for the ConsultII and ConsultIII computers that they use.
I didn't realize that.

I thought I remembered Jared saying that an every day technician with a Consult II (this was before the Consult III) would not notice an Osiris flash. He did say that a second level technician that was looking could discover the difference.
Old 09-03-2008 | 08:06 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
I didn't realize that.

I thought I remembered Jared saying that an every day technician with a Consult II (this was before the Consult III) would not notice an Osiris flash. He did say that a second level technician that was looking could discover the difference.

It just depends on how deep they look, if all they do with the ConsultII is check for diag codes (ie you have a CEL showing) then no they won't see it. Why chance it though, just expect that they will look. Also seeing as how most dealerships have the ConsultIII now and it shows more info faster, the techs usually use it.
Old 09-03-2008 | 08:44 AM
OCG35
Banned

What a predicament… my dealer has always been mod friendly (but they have gone though some changes and I haven’t been there in a while)… on one hand I’m thinking its best to tell them about the ECU being flashed so they don’t mess with it – on the other hand I don’t want that going into my account record with them for future warranty problems.

I guess I’ll play it by ear and only tell them about it if whatever issue I may have would require them to plug in Consult II or III… I wonder if they check as part of their preventative maintenance, even if there is no CEL?...
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:41 AM
UpRev
Banned

What a predicament… my dealer has always been mod friendly (but they have gone though some changes and I haven’t been there in a while)… on one hand I’m thinking its best to tell them about the ECU being flashed so they don’t mess with it – on the other hand I don’t want that going into my account record with them for future warranty problems.

I guess I’ll play it by ear and only tell them about it if whatever issue I may have would require them to plug in Consult II or III… I wonder if they check as part of their preventative maintenance, even if there is no CEL?...

We're working on a solution for it, but our solution only works if your car will run on the stock ROM. If your car won't start and run right with the stock ROM (ie injectors too large, large cams, serious head work) then you're still out of luck.

Though I guess if you have a twin turbo system, you're probably not taking the car back to the dealership for anything warranty
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:46 AM
OCG35
Banned

We're working on a solution for it, but our solution only works if your car will run on the stock ROM. If your car won't start and run right with the stock ROM (ie injectors too large, large cams, serious head work) then you're still out of luck.

Though I guess if you have a twin turbo system, you're probably not taking the car back to the dealership for anything warranty
I'm NA (primarily bolt-ons) - the car should run on stock ROM (obviously not optimally for performance)... I plan to add mild cam pretty soon... I'll keep an eye out for your "solution"... presumably it will take one of the available 5 maps?... how will the solution be announced? – is there any chance Church can already do it?
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:55 AM
UpRev
Banned

I'm NA (primarily bolt-ons) - the car should run on stock ROM (obviously not optimally for performance)... I plan to add mild cam pretty soon... I'll keep an eye out for your "solution"... presumably it will take one of the available 5 maps?... how will the solution be announced? – is there any chance Church can already do it?
It'll be a software update, and it will be announced on our new website. It won't take a map space, but it will require us to send you out a new cable manager tool or possibly just a cable patcher program. We just started development on it, so it'll be after 2.0 is shipping that we'll have it available.
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:57 AM
OCG35
Banned

It'll be a software update, and it will be announced on our new website. It won't take a map space, but it will require us to send you out a new cable manager tool or possibly just a cable patcher program. We just started development on it, so it'll be after 2.0 is shipping that we'll have it available.
right on - thanks for all the info.
Old 09-03-2008 | 01:17 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat
Premier Member

It just depends on how deep they look, if all they do with the ConsultII is check for diag codes (ie you have a CEL showing) then no they won't see it. Why chance it though, just expect that they will look. Also seeing as how most dealerships have the ConsultIII now and it shows more info faster, the techs usually use it.
I'm fortunate that my Infiniti dealership is very mod friendly. They have a special performance division and are very active with the Florida G Club. I also have a spare ECU...
Old 09-03-2008 | 01:54 PM
cwtt

I know people who have passed smog using the HKS Fcon V-pro. The Vpro keeps the stock ecu, so even if they plug in the OBD2 diagnostic port they can't tell the vpro is there.

This was on a 1998 (OBD2)Supra running 1000cc injectors. It passed smog in CA w/ no problems.
Old 09-04-2008 | 10:39 PM
infinite

There's no smog legal EMS, unless you are lucky not to get caught. California is the toughest state on custom cars.
Old 09-04-2008 | 10:41 PM
surfcity40

actually CA is pretty forgiving.
Old 09-04-2008 | 10:55 PM
infinite

Originally Posted by surfcity40
after you pay $250 for a noise citation from an exhaust ;x

or having your car crushed for being caught in an area known for street racing with custom performance parts
Old 09-05-2008 | 03:35 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by surfcity40
you're the only one I've ever heard say that... and I've lived here al my life.
Old 09-11-2008 | 04:46 PM
GodSpeed
Not all there

you're the only one I've ever heard say that... and I've lived here al my life.
+1 Having grown up in socal I knopw what a pain in the *** CA can be.