Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

A couple UTEC questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple UTEC questions

I searched for a while but couldnt find this info.

Does the launch control feature currently work on the 350Z UTEC?

Since pin 5 is the remote map switch bit-3 and launch control switch, if you wire up the launch control will the remote map switch still work?

Can the UTEC pull timing for nitrous activation? Or do you need a different map all together for nitrous?

How good is the UTEC knock control? If you get the sensitivity dialed in good can you let the UTEC dance with the knock for a 1/4 mile run. While its not advisable is it that good? I was the first person to put a J&S Safeguard on a VQ and I have complete faith in that units ability to dance on the edge with timing induced knock, I have done may 1/4 passes with the knock monitor dancing up to 3 LEDs or more and never had even a cracked spark plug or one that showed even mild pepper specs. Is the UTEC that good? Could I spray a 75hp wet shot with good AFR on stock timing and let the UTEC dance? Is it that good?

Ive seen these new GUI interfaces for logging. Regarding WB02 input... is there anyway to log a 0-5v signal from a WB box. Most of the other WB02s have a serial output, my PLXM250 just puts out 0-5v, is their any way to get that signal into the PC for the logging?

Thanks

Last edited by MardiGrasMax; 09-05-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
I searched for a while but couldnt find this info.

Does the launch control feature currently work on the 350Z UTEC?
not yet..

Since pin 5 is the remote map switch bit-3 and launch control switch, if you wire up the launch control will the remote map switch still work?
good question, dont know yet..

Can the UTEC pull timing for nitrous activation? Or do you need a different map all together for nitrous?
you will need a different map for the nitrous tune, about 2 degrees less for a 75-100 shot, depending on fuel, maybe more timing needs to be pulled..

How good is the UTEC knock control? If you get the sensitivity dialed in good can you let the UTEC dance with the knock for a 1/4 mile run. While its not advisable is it that good? I was the first person to put a J&S Safeguard on a VQ and I hace complete faith in that units ability to dance on the edge with timing induced knock, I have done may 1/4 passes with the knock monitor dancing up to 3 LEDs or more and never had even a cracked spark plug or one that showed even mild pepper specs. Is the UTEC that good? Gould I spray a properly tuned 75hp wet shot on stock timing and let the UTEC dance? Is it that good?
A properly tuned car should not knock, and should not "dance" with knock down the 1/4 mile, unless you plan on "dancing" to the bank for a new motor..I had the J&S waaaay back in the day, and it performed poorly IMHO. There have been people who have blown their motors with the J&S, so I would not rely on knock retard in any unit as a proactive method of tune, rather than a reactive method of tune..The UTEC is a far superior choice of mid level engine management over a J&S and EU any day..
The new GUI that TURBOXS has in the works will be pimp, and have some real deal features!! Some of the featues on the current unit are still uncharted territory for most tuners..But I have no doubt in my mind once the software is finalized, the launch control and new GUI will be some of the coolest things to happen to 350Z owners..
Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 PM
techcontrol

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
The new GUI that TURBOXS has in the works will be pimp, and have some real deal features!! Some of the featues on the current unit are still uncharted territory for most tuners..But I have no doubt in my mind once the software is finalized, the launch control and new GUI will be some of the coolest things to happen to 350Z owners..
Can you provide some more details about the GUI? Do you any screen shots available?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by techcontrol
Can you provide some more details about the GUI? Do you any screen shots available?
nothing yet, we will be one of the first in the country to get it..
Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
techcontrol

nothing yet, we will be one of the first in the country to get it..
Will it be "free" for current UTEC owners?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
MardiGrasMax

A properly tuned car should not knock, and should not "dance" with knock down the 1/4 mile, unless you plan on "dancing" to the bank for a new motor..I had the J&S waaaay back in the day, and it performed poorly IMHO. There have been people who have blown their motors with the J&S, so I would not rely on knock retard in any unit as a proactive method of tune, rather than a reactive method of tune..The UTEC is a far superior choice of mid level engine management over a J&S and EU any day...
Gotcha. I wouldn't "rely on the knock control" I just wanted to know if it is that good. Ive run the heck out of my OE 80k bone stock VQ30 in my Maxima, 420whp, 11.5@119 many many many times, an it held together just fine. I was a tuning wussy if you will, took my time, was patient etc. The J&S always caught me if the timing was too much. Several of the other VQ30 Maximas that were chasing me popped at least one motor along the way, they didn't have any form of knock control.

The J&S and UTEC have one thing in common, it it ain't set up right it wont work. The UTEC will more than likely be my choice on my G, the over all tuning it offers is great. But put it in the hands of an weak user and it will have problems too. If the UTEC is at least as good, or better in its timing control then the J&S I will be very happy with it I'm sure.

Thanks for the response and could you PM me your price on the UTEC shipped to 20706 please
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like to play with the knock control as well. i was running a 100 shot with no problems with stock timing, then i tried the 125 shot and it knocked and retarded the timing, i took out two degrees and it never knocked again.

i run my knock sensitivity at 110 to 70 which is high. i havent had ANY knock since that one knock with the 125 shot and i push the limits for sure.

let us know if you have any other questions and we will share our experiences ....
Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The UTEC has knock feedback, but it will only retard timing (tuner controllable), but it will not gradually add it back in on the main map. So if you exceed the knock threshold, timing will be pulled from the main map (global correction), and it will not reset until you power down your engine.

For instance, if you have the UTEC setup to pull 2 degrees across the entire map when a certain knock threshold is reached, it will pull the timing, and will not restore it until you shut the car down.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:37 PM
MardiGrasMax

Priceless tuning info. Mucho thanks. I think I am going to hold off until the new GUI is released. I'd hope the revlimit for the 05/06 is added, launch control is operational. That would seal my fate.