Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Beginner at tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beginner at tuning.

Is there anywhere I can learn how to tune my own utec. Do you think its safe to try tuning on my own system. I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can. I don't have any of the software either. I'm sure I can find that though.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the software and manuals can be downloaded from their website. As far as tuning your own car, it's not the best option, but like me, i have no choice. I live SO FAR from anyone who knows anything about this system, i'm forced to learn this on my own. Well.. Sorta. A great base map and help from other self tuners on these boards has really given me a great shot.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
dTor

Welcome to the DYI boat. We're barely treading water, but tuning your own ride is not an impossible task. I'm just getting started tuning as I, too, am in the middle of BFE (MS) where most "performance" shops don't even know what a G35 is, and a 350z is "that jap stuff" .

I really can't be of much help tuning, but I'm sure we'll be asking a lot of the same questions.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
redman333

Appreciate it guys. The reason that I am trying this is cause one I'm trying to do more and more stuf on my own instead of hiring somebody. Two is that I will be moving to BFE in about six months so I want to make sure that I can diagnose and fix my own problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Xx SiFaKa

I don't know much about tuning either but I did download the Utec user manual and read it once. It seems complicated but they have pictures for you to look after an example, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

I just say download the user manual and read it like 5 times. It may take some days to go over it that many times but you will be very familiar with it after that. Just go to te tuning section here after words and just start to learn what you can. You should be fine because I plan to do my own tuning with a Utec for when I go F/I, I just don't imagine it will be to hard to follow after you learn it accordingly.

Hope that helps?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

AFR tuning should not be a big problem. As long as you take baby steps you shouldn't be able to hurt your car (N/A applications)

I would not really touch the timing if tuning on the street. You cannot just go by the seat of your pants when it comes to timing tuning, and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Acree

Originally Posted by redman333
I will be moving to BFE in about six months...
It's been a long time since I've seen that!

For those that don't know... it's Butt F**king Egypt

-Acree
Old 11-06-2006, 10:59 PM
redman333

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
AFR tuning should not be a big problem. As long as you take baby steps you shouldn't be able to hurt your car (N/A applications)

I would not really touch the timing if tuning on the street. You cannot just go by the seat of your pants when it comes to timing tuning, and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise...
I have a TN ST kit on the car already. Do you think I should mess with the AFR or is it too risky for a beginner. I really don't want to blow my motor, I went through that once.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:18 AM
ML2000

Take a look at EFI University, Go to EFI 101.

http://www.efi101.com

Matt
Old 11-07-2006, 05:36 AM
titanjc

I don't know much about tuning myself, but I DO know that tuning for FI like your TN ST is supposedly MUCH more difficult and much riskier as well. I'd try to find a shop within a day's drive or so and just baby it there...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:37 AM
redman333

I've started reading the software manual now. I'll let you know how I'm coming and if I have any questions.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Here's what i'm doing/did. It's easier for me since my car isn't running yet, but REALLY gets me ancy. Download the manual and read it. Then i downloaded all the updates to my UTEC and Tuner Pro and played around with that for a while. Went back and read it again and i really started to understand what the manual was talking about. Called TurboXS a few times to verify if what i was thinking was indeed correct on a few things. Now with my base TT map from Sharif and huge helping hand from these boards, I should have a solid platform for learning and getting to know the in's and out's of how and where to make changes if any.

Where in BFE are you moving? I seriously doubt you'll be anywhere further with your car from anything than i am! Nearest city in the US (Winnipeg CAN is 4 hours away, but that doesn't count) of over 50k people is an 8 hour drive in the summer. 12 hour in the winter.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
redman333

Well your right its not as bad as you, but I'm moving to Stevens Point WI. The closest major city I think is Milwaukee about 3 hours away. I already have a question for you. In the manual it talks about TPS. What exactly is that.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:10 PM
atlsupdawg#2

redman333,

I bought "How To Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman. It's not a step by step but it does provide a lot of the science behind tuning. Also check out and download the installation and tuning instructions for the SDS EFI. Very comprehensive, as it relates to their unit, but still can be used as a decent foundation to start tuning. SDS EFI
Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
redman333

Is that a book I can find at a book store or did you order it off the net.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
dTor

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor.

It looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Just take your time and don't make any changes unless you're absolutely sure what it is you're changing and why.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
redman333

Yeah thats what it said in the manual. I plan on reading it through and then going over the tune that GTMotorsports put in and seeing if I can figure out why it is the way it is. And then go over the manual again and see if I can do my own tuning after that. But I will definately take it slow.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

If you car is F/I Then I would definitely not make an F/I car my first choice to learn to tune on.I would find an N/A car and work on that first and really get a good working knowledge and feel for whats going on, the things your changing and why your changing them..F/I tunning is a slightly different ball game than N/A tunning..Actually IMHO N/A tunning is harder to make power,but F/I tuning is way more risky for things to go bad...If you can throw down a kick a ss tune N/A, then F/I tuning is a snap..Boost makes everyone look good..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
redman333

Well I really don't have any other car except a mustang gt that has nothing done to it, it just my beat around car. I could probably sell that and by a different tuner car. I don't know.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
If you car is F/I Then I would definitely not make an F/I car my first choice to learn to tune on.I would find an N/A car and work on that first and really get a good working knowledge and feel for whats going on, the things your changing and why your changing them..F/I tunning is a slightly different ball game than N/A tunning..Actually IMHO N/A tunning is harder to make power,but F/I tuning is way more risky for things to go bad...If you can throw down a kick a ss tune N/A, then F/I tuning is a snap..Boost makes everyone look good..

+1 ... I thought you were N/A

no way I would experiment with street tuning on an F/I car as my first attempt at tuning, you're just asking for trouble

Quick Reply: Beginner at tuning.