Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Hydra ems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:22 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Do you work for them?Cause this is the 19th time I have seen you mention the Hydra...FYI it bombed in the WRX world despite being a great unit.
Interesting J; as it would appear to be working extremely well when I saw one of the engineers tuning the WRX on the dyno in Singapore, earlier this year.

Let’s be honest here, even piggy-backs have their own limitations. Stabilizing the stock ECU over a wide range of conditions is virtually impossible make piggy-backs difficult to tune. Technology is moving forward into the 21st century; stand-alones will revolutioniz the industry.

Don't be so quick to judge.

G

_____
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 PM
VQ-TECH

Originally Posted by rocks
I called the company they said the standalone will be out in feb, and it will be able to control the variable camshafts. It will also be plug and play. Not bad for the price heh.
I will believe it when I see it ,the have said the same crap for over a year ,next month ,next month my a$$,I have called so many times ,performance Motorsports use to be their master distributor for the Nissan 350z and now since performance Motorsports is out of business ,they don't even have a dealer for the 350z
http://www.theexperience.com/
http://www.hydraems.com/

feb is around the coroner will see
Old 01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Neither one is "out of business." Let us not jump the gun here, as that is how rumors begin.

PM is revamping their marketing approach and reopening to the public soon. The Nissan dealership still exists, but not in Westbury.

Vinny Ten, who is establishing his own shop will be up and running soon. Vinny is still going to be a distributor for the hydra and he will be working with other vendors in your local area.

Stay tuned for exciting news.

G
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will buy it straight from them if i have too and i will tune it myself. I will not have an fcon in my car. The only thing i have ever bought and will buy from hks are my head gaskets. The 350z community needs more options. In 2 years there will be no more secrets from tuners because someone will release it all to the community. Secrets make it harder for people like me to make alot of power. I came from the ford 2.3 turbo and the porsche world, where information is shared.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Fingers

I will buy it straight from them if i have too and i will tune it myself. I will not have an fcon in my car. The only thing i have ever bought and will buy from hks are my head gaskets. The 350z community needs more options. In 2 years there will be no more secrets from tuners because someone will release it all to the community. Secrets make it harder for people like me to make alot of power. I came from the ford 2.3 turbo and the porsche world, where information is shared.
I don't know anything about tunning or FI, but I am happy that you post here. It seems like you have been doing some heavy research since your bad luck with your original engine. Thanks for posting and sharing good info.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:56 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
Neither one is "out of business." Let us not jump the gun here, as that is how rumors begin.

PM is revamping their marketing approach and reopening to the public soon. The Nissan dealership still exists, but not in Westbury.

Vinny Ten, who is establishing his own shop will be up and running soon. Vinny is still going to be a distributor for the hydra and he will be working with other vendors in your local area.

Stay tuned for exciting news.

G
Intresting that westbury nissan went out of buisness. That is where I got my Z from. There sales dept was pretty shadey. I guess the owners still have smithtown.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Havok_RLS2

Good Information. Thanks guys.
Please keep it coming.

To be honest I wouldn't even be considering upgrading to the Hydra EMS if TurboSX would just release their Damn GUI update as promised. I'm tired of using the hyperterminal crap.

2 grand sounds like a small price to pay for all the feature you'd be getting over the UTEC anyway.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 01-20-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

The hydra is a full standalone the stock ecu is removed and the hydra plugs in. .
Please tell me where you get this information from? How does Hydra plan on dealing with the CAN bus system that nissan employs on their new cars? The CAN bus system is intergraded from the ECU to the BCM and interfaces with almost evey electrical part of the car.Removing the ECU would not be possible and retain the stock features on the vehicle for street use.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
Interesting J; as it would appear to be working extremely well when I saw one of the engineers tuning the WRX on the dyno in Singapore, earlier this year.

Let’s be honest here, even piggy-backs have their own limitations. Stabilizing the stock ECU over a wide range of conditions is virtually impossible make piggy-backs difficult to tune. Technology is moving forward into the 21st century; stand-alones will revolutioniz the industry.

Don't be so quick to judge.

G

_____
J,
Not judging,just staing the facts. The HYDRA bombed terrible in the WRX market.It simply did not apeal to the masses and was not marketed properly. If 100 cars are running it, that means about 6000 are running the UTEC or COBB accesport.
Not to say the unit was not a good unit, it just did not hit the market the way it should have.I hope Vinny has a better marketing plan to make this thing work in the 350Z market, cause I would really love to see this unit up and running on alot of cars.
And I do agree, that standalones "DID" already revolutionize the industry, look at the AEM in the Supras and EVO's making 800-1300whp on 6 and 4 cylinder motors....However, the aftermarket industry needs to step up their game, as automakers keep designing more advanced ECU's and intergrading fiberoptics into their new cars...The 350Z has a very advances CAN bus communications system that relays information from and to the ECU and other body control components, that control features like tractions,slip,ABS,airbags,A/C, power windows,Temp sensors, ect..I am curious to see how a company such as Hydra plans on addressing this issue with their standalone..Any technical proof or informantion would be great..But until then, it is just vapor ware...So lets not start the **** measuring just yet..

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 01-20-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 AM
rocks

I talked to them again i was wrong when i said the entire ecu is removed from the car. Well its removed from any form of engine controll. The hydra controlls everything on the engine. The ecu is left in place so things like the dash will work. Ive been getting my information directly from hydra, some guy on the phone i talk too gives it to me lol.

Last edited by rocks; 01-20-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Ive been getting my information directly from hydra, some guy on the phone i talk too gives it to me lol.
Well hell, that sounds pretty reliable to me...Some Guy...
At least get some names and real technical data for us as well as a real release date...We would be interested, but until we hear more than "SOME GUY" its just another Dream Works SC thread..
Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 AM
rocks

Well im sure he knows what he is talking about when he started talking about the cam pulse width modulation and how the hydra controlls them. But yea they are building maps for it now. He told me the delay was getting the ecu connectors, can not just buy the part off of the shelf apparently. They are made for nissan by bosch and only sold to nissan. I looked in my email i have been talking to Andrew Nam. so there is your name.

Last edited by rocks; 01-20-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Well im sure he knows what he is talking about when he started talking about the cam pulse width modulation and how the hydra controlls them. But yea they are building maps for it now. He told me the delay was getting the ecu connectors, can not just buy the part off of the shelf apparently. They are made for nissan by bosch and only sold to nissan. I looked in my email i have been talking to Andrew Nam. so there is your name.
Thats better..Now you sound credible. Did they mention the ETA their shooting for?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:27 AM
VQ-TECH

Eta is in ten days ,next month in Feb . like rocks said ...... I wont hold my breath ,last time I called he told me ,he was waiting for the drive by wire board ,now its the Ecu connector .they must be piece in it together .
Old 01-20-2007, 08:46 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

The Nissan connector is made by Tyco. You can actually find it on their website...lol try to buy it though THAT is a different matter
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 AM
rocks

He told me they have the connectors now. He said it was a major pain in the *** to find a way to buy them. They said it should be release in feb, once they have base maps built for it. He told me on the phone he has systems sitting on the shelf ready to go out the door. So hopefully i will have a hydra in my car in a month or two heh.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I talked to them again i was wrong when i said the entire ecu is removed from the car. Well its removed from any form of engine controll. The hydra controlls everything on the engine. The ecu is left in place so things like the dash will work. Ive been getting my information directly from hydra, some guy on the phone i talk too gives it to me lol.
These are dual 16-bit processor circuit boards; 1 processor controls the engine and the second, comfort control.

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Thats better..Now you sound credible. Did they mention the ETA their shooting for?
After I complete the endurance test

G

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 01-23-2007 at 06:04 PM.