FCon iS vs. UTEC

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 05:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

thanks for the review!
Old 03-13-2007 | 05:37 AM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
I iS is a very advanced piggyback system compared to other piggy backs in that it is able to communicate with the OBD2 system and automatically clear out check engine lights and also keep the ECU in open loop mode at all times or additionally at time when it needs to control things. It still modifies the crank and cam position sensors and uses the OEM MAF scaling type system to control the injectors. It can be used to eliminate the stock MAF and use the HKS pressure sensor instead but most maintain the stock MAF.

The UTEC is much better in the fact that in boost in directly controls the firing of the injectors and the coils (standalone style) as opposed ot the iS which is still unsing the OEM inputs and modifying the signal to "fool" the stock ECU. If you are FI and have a VQ35 the UTEC is a much better choice.

The iS is designed for HKS to use with its Bolt-On Upgrade kits becasue the price point is lower then the Pro. It is also a great unit for those that have Supra's, 3000GT's and 300ZX's that want to convert from MAF to MAP based tuning (those car's gain 30 to 50 hp just by converting) since they are FI already and not nearly as much change is required to get theor ECUs to work with upgrades.

Hope that helps. In the end the UTEC is what you want to go with for you budget (obviously someone is going to say the Pro is the best and I agree but for your situation and exact question the UTEC is the best)
Thank you Dave, appreciate your input very much.
Old 03-13-2007 | 05:42 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia
Premier Member

Yes good review Dave.
I was looking at the same exact thing, wondering if there were any pros & Cons to each unit.
Old 03-13-2007 | 05:44 AM
BrianLG35C

I iS is a very advanced piggyback system compared to other piggy backs in that it is able to communicate with the OBD2 system and automatically clear out check engine lights and also keep the ECU in open loop mode at all times or additionally at time when it needs to control things. It still modifies the crank and cam position sensors and uses the OEM MAF scaling type system to control the injectors. It can be used to eliminate the stock MAF and use the HKS pressure sensor instead but most maintain the stock MAF.

The UTEC is much better in the fact that in boost in directly controls the firing of the injectors and the coils (standalone style) as opposed ot the iS which is still unsing the OEM inputs and modifying the signal to "fool" the stock ECU. If you are FI and have a VQ35 the UTEC is a much better choice.

The iS is designed for HKS to use with its Bolt-On Upgrade kits becasue the price point is lower then the Pro. It is also a great unit for those that have Supra's, 3000GT's and 300ZX's that want to convert from MAF to MAP based tuning (those car's gain 30 to 50 hp just by converting) since they are FI already and not nearly as much change is required to get theor ECUs to work with upgrades.

Hope that helps. In the end the UTEC is what you want to go with for you budget (obviously someone is going to say the Pro is the best and I agree but for your situation and exact question the UTEC is the best)
Wow, finally someone has some info! Thanks for the informative review! I understand this may of been asked or answered before but basically it's been said the UTEC is completely safe under 600whp and anything over that you really should go FCON. Is this generally correct?

Last edited by BrianLG35C; 03-13-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2007 | 06:08 AM
Javierg35

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Wow, finally someone has some info! Thanks for the informative review! I understand this may of been asked or answered before but basically it's been said the UTEC is completely safe under 600whp and anything over that you really should go FCON. Is this generally correct?
I actually personally know of 2 g35 running really high whp here in Puerto Rico , one with 680whp and the other 729whp both daily driven . Utec is safe OVER 600WHP in the hands of a good tunner !!!!!!!!
Not saying that Vpro is a waste of money ,is just tha the ECU is as good as the tunner with the tunning experience !!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007 | 06:24 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Javierg35
I actually personally know of 2 g35 running really high whp here in Puerto Rico , one with 680whp and the other 729whp both daily driven . Utec is safe OVER 600WHP in the hands of a good tunner !!!!!!!!
Not saying that Vpro is a waste of money ,is just tha the ECU is as good as the tunner with the tunning experience !!!!!!!!
Wow, thanks for the info.
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:05 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

The UTEC has significatly less resolution then the FCON PRO. What this means to the end user is that WOT operation will most likely be very stable but the optomized fuel and ignition curves may not be able to be achieved. In the real world this means that the tune will be safe (under WOT conditions) but the vehicle may not pull smoothly to redline. There may be small missfires or other tuning related gremlins. Plugs may foul out sooner etc etc.

The PRO shines becasue of its map resolution and preciseness as well as "tunability" and "user-interface" for the tuner. This additional resolution and precision allows the tuner to blend and optomize many more sites so that Partial Throttle and WOT are optomized for every condition (excluding catosprophic mechanical events, but this type of thing is outside any EMS's control). This means, real world, the FCON PRO will offer better smoother, more fuel efficient and completely optimized DRIVABILITY at both WOT and Partial Throttle. Lets remember, PARTIAL THROTTLE is where we spend almost 80% of our time. Even then at 600+RWHP you will not be able to apply WOT until higher speeds due to traction so not suprisingly this is when you begin to need more resolution and precision under more conditions. Esspecially if this is a street vehicle. Also choose your EMS based on your INTENDED USE AND HP GOALS. A drag only race car needs WOT tunabity. A street or road race car needs much more.
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:10 AM
BrianLG35C

Dave, thanks again for such detailed information. This is definitely helping me make my ems decision. My hp goal for my new build is no more than 550whp.
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:25 AM
IIQuickSilverII

for you the UTEC should be quite a good option
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:28 AM
MethodRN
For Sale
Premier Member

I currently run the F-Con iS in my APS ST. I would have to agree w/ Dave regarding drivability. I use to run the Greddy EU and had a few problems w/ it when combined w/ the APS ST. I chose the iS because of price and because of my intended use. 80% of cars life will be spent on the street, the other 20% on road coarse where WOT is sparingly used. Price wise, the iS can be a steal for all the things it can do compared to other piggy backs. There is also the added feature where the iS can be connected to a screen and used like the HKS CAMP system. Also because the iS uses the same harness as the V-Pro I have the added luxury of not having to purchase that if I wanna upgrade. Hope that helps coming from an end-user. Oh, since I'm in Houston, I have the luxury of having a good tuner like Mark over at SGP who is a certified HKS dealer. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.
Old 03-13-2007 | 07:35 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by MethodRN
I currently run the F-Con iS in my APS ST. I would have to agree w/ Dave regarding drivability. I use to run the Greddy EU and had a few problems w/ it when combined w/ the APS ST. I chose the iS because of price and because of my intended use. 80% of cars life will be spent on the street, the other 20% on road coarse where WOT is sparingly used. Price wise, the iS can be a steal for all the things it can do compared to other piggy backs. There is also the added feature where the iS can be connected to a screen and used like the HKS CAMP system. Also because the iS uses the same harness as the V-Pro I have the added luxury of not having to purchase that if I wanna upgrade. Hope that helps coming from an end-user. Oh, since I'm in Houston, I have the luxury of having a good tuner like Mark over at SGP who is a certified HKS dealer. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.
I understood from a phone conversation with Mark, there are still some issues with FCON iS, before he'd recommend it as a lower cost alternative for a built/FI motor. Man, I'm confused.
Old 03-13-2007 | 11:11 AM
buzzardmountain

The UTEC has significatly less resolution then the FCON PRO. What this means to the end user is that WOT operation will most likely be very stable but the optomized fuel and ignition curves may not be able to be achieved. In the real world this means that the tune will be safe (under WOT conditions) but the vehicle may not pull smoothly to redline. There may be small missfires or other tuning related gremlins. Plugs may foul out sooner etc etc.

The PRO shines becasue of its map resolution and preciseness as well as "tunability" and "user-interface" for the tuner. This additional resolution and precision allows the tuner to blend and optomize many more sites so that Partial Throttle and WOT are optomized for every condition (excluding catosprophic mechanical events, but this type of thing is outside any EMS's control). This means, real world, the FCON PRO will offer better smoother, more fuel efficient and completely optimized DRIVABILITY at both WOT and Partial Throttle. Lets remember, PARTIAL THROTTLE is where we spend almost 80% of our time. Even then at 600+RWHP you will not be able to apply WOT until higher speeds due to traction so not suprisingly this is when you begin to need more resolution and precision under more conditions. Esspecially if this is a street vehicle. Also choose your EMS based on your INTENDED USE AND HP GOALS. A drag only race car needs WOT tunabity. A street or road race car needs much more.

Very refreshing to hear a clear concise seemingly impartial review of both units.........that doesn't happen very often around here.....The little hiccups with UTEC are what have been in the back of my mind.......

Thanks Dave....
Old 03-13-2007 | 12:34 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
Very refreshing to hear a clear concise seemingly impartial review of both units.........that doesn't happen very often around here.....The little hiccups with UTEC are what have been in the back of my mind.......

Thanks Dave....
NP. I always strive to tailor performance upgrades to my customers current and future plans for their exact needs. This make me think about these things and put them into clear concise laymans terms. The UTEC is an awesome component for its price and it has its place in the market. If the budget allows always try to get the best you can. Ultimately it does two things. Makes you happier you got the right stuff and generally brings less headaches down the road.
Old 03-13-2007 | 09:12 PM
MethodRN
For Sale
Premier Member

I understood from a phone conversation with Mark, there are still some issues with FCON iS, before he'd recommend it as a lower cost alternative for a built/FI motor. Man, I'm confused.
Maybe so for a built/FI motor. But I'm still on stock block and car runs real smoothly w/ no issues.
Old 03-14-2007 | 05:27 AM
Javierg35

For your the amount of power(550whp) and $$$$$$$$, UTEC should be a good option , search here for members running utec and 500whp and ask about drivability (ALBERTO runs high 500whp with utec tunned by SHARIF).they should give you a good information about your choices.

If money and finding a hks dealer is not a problem for you , just go with HKS VPRO you can not go wrong there.Like have been said before , HKS is superior to UTEC ,but for your power goals go UTEC.
Old 03-14-2007 | 06:35 AM
BrianLG35C

^^^Thanks!
Old 05-07-2010 | 08:55 PM
Tsukuba-Z33

nice read
Old 05-07-2010 | 09:00 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Good job bumping a 3 year old thread to say nothing useful