Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

UTEC Timing Map

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007 | 04:21 PM
KPierson
Banned

Default UTEC Timing Map

Please give me some feedback on this timing map:

It was given to me by a trusted tuner/sponsor of this site, but I'm not sure if that means anything.

My goal is to run a tuning map on the conservative side. I'm running an 8.6:1 compression motor (Arias pistions, Pauter rods) with the APS TT. I'm running a UTEC for control.

I don't know anything about where the timing should be, or what makes it conservative. I was told it was a great timing map to run, so I've run it for the past year or so. I'm now slowly upping the boost (at 10psi now) and want to make sure it is sufficient to do what I'm doing.

There are no UTEC/350z tuners within 6 or so hours of me, so I can't just drop in and have it tuned by a professional. I also don't really trust a 'non nissan' tuner to adjust my timing reliably.

Please give me some feedback!

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 04-17-2007 | 06:18 PM
al v

First I need to know what are the min and max value for maping????????
Old 04-18-2007 | 02:21 AM
KPierson
Banned

Starts at 1psi ends at 20psi
Old 04-18-2007 | 08:02 AM
QuadCam

kevin,

have you thought of updating to version 2.8? I noticed that I had some problems with the UTEC reading WAY ahead on 2.6.

.....and on the timing,...sorry. I have no input as i don't know what the appropriate timing would be for pump gas at 20 psi on 8.5:1 pistons.
Old 04-18-2007 | 08:16 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by QuadCam
kevin,

have you thought of updating to version 2.8? I noticed that I had some problems with the UTEC reading WAY ahead on 2.6.

.....and on the timing,...sorry. I have no input as i don't know what the appropriate timing would be for pump gas at 20 psi on 8.5:1 pistons.
At least to 2.7... 2.6 is all fubar..

Timing on a built motor isnt going to be all that different compared to a stock block.. The cars simply just dont make anymore power at a certain range..
Old 04-18-2007 | 08:33 AM
KPierson
Banned

I am at 2.8. Those were screen shots I took prior to upgrade in case I had any questions about my pre-upgrade settings.

So is there a 'safe' timing map floating around? I would love to see one. I'm not worried about pushing the timing, I just want something that is going to last, even if it means sacrificing 10-20whp.

Originally Posted by Kenk2
At least to 2.7... 2.6 is all fubar..

Timing on a built motor isnt going to be all that different compared to a stock block.. The cars simply just dont make anymore power at a certain range..
Old 04-18-2007 | 08:38 AM
KPierson
Banned

I don't have any intentions of going above 10psi for now, and possibly up to 12-14 later. I'm not looking for a high HP car, just something I can have some fun in.
Old 04-18-2007 | 09:05 AM
al v

Originally Posted by KPierson
Starts at 1psi ends at 20psi
The map doesn´t look so bad ,but have some issues in the 40% 50% and 60% column , too much timing.
First I would reduce 1 degree in the 70% 80% 90% and 100% column ,from 5000 to 6250 rpm range, then I would add 1 degree to the 60% 50% and 40% column , compared to the 70% column.I dont know if you understand me.........

Old 04-18-2007 | 09:09 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Kevin,

Check your PM
Old 04-18-2007 | 09:25 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Try the timing maps in these files. All depends on what octane your running.Also boost levels.Keep in mind on a lower boost timing map you may interpolate from cell to cell in a manner as I highlighted in the red, only reaching 60% of the scaling where as in a higher boost map you may interpolate much faster and into higher cells of the map as I highlighted in yellow.
Attached Thumbnails UTEC Timing Map-timing2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
tnetics550cc.txt (12.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: txt
APSTT550cc28d.TXT (12.1 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 04-18-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 09:55 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Julian,

The APS map you posted is corrupt..

Kevin, heres a map I did for you that has a great timing range and will probably get you in the 80% range of a tune.. Try it out and let me know..

Ken

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Try the timing maps in these files. All depends on what octane your running.Also boost levels.Keep in mind on a lower boost timing map you may interpolate from cell to cell in a manner as I highlighted in the red, only reaching 60% of the scaling where as in a higher boost map you may interpolate much faster and into higher cells of the map as I highlighted in yellow.

Last edited by Kenk2; 04-19-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 10:58 AM
KPierson
Banned

Thanks, I'll give this a shot tonight. When you say '80% range of a tune' do you mean it should be good up to the 80% load column or it should be about 80% to being perfect for my car/setup?

The map looks a lot smoother, and appears to have more timing in it, so hopefully I'll take a step in the 'safe' direction.

Thank you,

Kevin

Kevin, heres a map I did for you that has a great timing range and will probably get you in the 80% range of a tune.. Try it out and let me know..

Ken
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:18 PM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by KPierson
When you say '80% range of a tune' do you mean it should be good up to the 80% load column or it should be about 80% to being perfect for my car/setup?

Kevin
I think you will be 80% happy with the car and its tune. If you hit even the 100% column the map should be fine and the car wont lean out at all..

The timing is going to be alot smoother than your previous map so hopefully(fingers crossed) it gets rid of the hesitation you are feeling..

Also what might be of some concern is your fuel system.. What are you running and do you have a gauge in the cab so you can see where pressure is at?

Try and get some logs tonight, in 4th gear, starting at 2000 rpm's and not letting off the gas till you start bouncing off the rev limiter.. Roughly 6700 RPM's Make sure the TPS is at 100 +.. My logs I want my TPS at 102, 103 and 104.. If you are in a rural area, that is better as you can not get into much traffic.. but make sure you floor it all the way to redline to get accurate logs.. Then, if you like, pm or AIM them to me and I will break it down for you..
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:56 PM
KPierson
Banned

I think you will be 80% happy with the car and its tune. If you hit even the 100% column the map should be fine and the car wont lean out at all..

The timing is going to be alot smoother than your previous map so hopefully(fingers crossed) it gets rid of the hesitation you are feeling..

Also what might be of some concern is your fuel system.. What are you running and do you have a gauge in the cab so you can see where pressure is at?

Try and get some logs tonight, in 4th gear, starting at 2000 rpm's and not letting off the gas till you start bouncing off the rev limiter.. Roughly 6700 RPM's Make sure the TPS is at 100 +.. My logs I want my TPS at 102, 103 and 104.. If you are in a rural area, that is better as you can not get into much traffic.. but make sure you floor it all the way to redline to get accurate logs.. Then, if you like, pm or AIM them to me and I will break it down for you..
I've done all my fuel tuning myself, that isn't a problem. I just don't know enough about the cars timing to even know if the timing maps are decent. My fuel maps need to be slightly tweaked at this point since I just started a new tune with a lower base fuel pressure.

I do not have an in cab fuel pressure guage, but the last time I was on the dyno (two weeks ago) we hooked a fuel pressure guage up and logged fuel pressure. It is staying fairly constant until high RPM then it starts to drop off a few PSI. I just installed a fuel pressure sending unit, but I don't have the guage portion of it completed yet (going with a custom setup).

I am running a Walbro 255, return system, rising rate regulator, and Duetschmark 650cc injectors. I honestly don't think I have any fuel problems, as I can run the car as rich as I want at my current level.

I'm excited to try this timing map out and see what it will do! Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2007 | 01:06 PM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Kevin,

If you want me to merge your fuel map with my timing map, let me know.. I can do that.. Chances are the tune will be much better if we did it that way..

Lemme know.

ken
Old 04-18-2007 | 02:17 PM
KPierson
Banned

I'll manually enter the timing data. I don't have much faith in the 'import' feature through hyperterminal!

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007 | 05:48 PM
KPierson
Banned

Here is a log from tonight.

Got the timing adjusted to the table posted above.

Still have the hesitation.

I raised my knock threshold a bit since I've always had false knock. I was hoping with the new firmware it would go away. I'm still getting knock in the 0% column under no load. I'll have to put them back to where they were.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/images/log.htm

Last edited by KPierson; 04-18-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 05:55 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

kevin, take some timing out man, try taking out two degrees off your whole map and see what happens, make power with boost, not timing...
Old 04-18-2007 | 06:04 PM
rcdash

In lieu of a dyno, using a tool like a GTECH-RR or even Cipher to perform power output calculations seems in order to figure out if a change is better or worse, no?

Either that or identify peak EGT or CHT?

Isn't this all blind otherwise? I don't get how you can make timing changes, log UTEC-only data while on the road and come to conclusions on whether the timing change was for the better or worse
Old 04-18-2007 | 06:14 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by rcdash

Isn't this all blind otherwise? I don't get how you can make timing changes, log UTEC-only data while on the road and come to conclusions on whether the timing change was for the better or worse
Well, in this case, there is something noticably wrong with the car. If I changed the map up completely and the hesitation goes away then I would say it would be safe to say that the new timing is better.

Quick Reply: UTEC Timing Map