Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs
View Poll Results: greddy e-manage or technosquare reflash?
greddy e-manage
34.29%
technosquare reflash
34.29%
Other
31.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

greddy e-manage OR technosquare???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Utec= OVERKILL for most \ all N/A mods.

Reflash may do well but I like the adjustability of an EMS.

Go with a E-Manage Blue. That should be perfect.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savefatkids
too bad HONDAta is for hondas...
...so is uberdata, it is the knock off of hondata. Obviously i was joking but being serious, i voted technoflash.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:46 AM
pimpsahab

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
UTEC. Don't waste your time with the other junk.

+6747365743567342657498545465456456456456
Old 05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
savefatkids

how much more power would i make with the utec? since i probably wont be going FI anytime soon. i wouldnt want to spend an extra 500$ just for a few more hp
Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Fluid1

how much more power would i make with the utec? since i probably wont be going FI anytime soon. i wouldnt want to spend an extra 500$ just for a few more hp
then never, ever buy a N/A mod. Ever.

Go do some research.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Scootch
Ur All Gahbage

techno is a good chioce, i havent heard anything bad abt them and everyone thus far has been pleased
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Blu_Blur

You probably won't make over 8 extra hp with the UTEC IF ANYTHING.

UTEC is way too overkill for most N/A mods. A Greddy Blue oe reflash should do just fine. The biggest weakness of the reflash is that there is no adjustability. UTECs and Greddy Blues and EU's are like radios, they can be tuned for different paramters like when it gets hot or cold (weather) and if you use differnt fuels or if you want to add more power by adding some timing.

With a reflash, it is just a wam-bam-thank you-'mam type deal. Everything is set and it is harder to get custom settings because you have to reprogram your computers actual brain instead of reprogramming something that is attached to the brain.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NA: Reflash
FI & ur lazy : Reflash
FI & u got a ton of money: Reflash base maps & piggyback of your choice

there are benefits to to both.

however, if you can change the how the engine acts, why wouldnt u change the core computer rather than trying to trick it/bypass signals?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Blu_Blur

Because EMS systems are deisgned to be as tuneable as radios whereas I think it is harder to try and connect to the cars own ECU and make adjustments.

In addition, only Technosquare and one or twoother places are capable of doing that but many are certified to tune from a variety of different EMSs.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
You probably won't make over 8 extra hp with the UTEC IF ANYTHING.

UTEC is way too overkill for most N/A mods. A Greddy Blue oe reflash should do just fine. The biggest weakness of the reflash is that there is no adjustability. UTECs and Greddy Blues and EU's are like radios, they can be tuned for different paramters like when it gets hot or cold (weather) and if you use differnt fuels or if you want to add more power by adding some timing.

With a reflash, it is just a wam-bam-thank you-'mam type deal. Everything is set and it is harder to get custom settings because you have to reprogram your computers actual brain instead of reprogramming something that is attached to the brain.
You have NO idea what you're talking about. The Utec is an "investment" mod that even the best reflash cant top. But if you wanna keep spreading the false information like you know something then that just fine by me.
By the way... The third NA mod I purchased and had installed by AAM was the UTEC. Yes it make a HUGE difference even with the base maps before tuning. I'm very pleased with the fact that in the long run I saved money versus have to pay for a new reflash every time I added a new mod.
FYI. I'll have a different map for all different seasons and driving conditions. Can your reflash do that? The UTEC is at this time that most cost effective option as far as engine management is concerned. Reflash = Band-Aid

OH! And another thing... When it's time that take your Z in for warranty work it's feels good to know I wont have to deal with the drama of having to explain why all the ECM setting are different from stock when they connect it to their conZult reader (and they will) when I can just disconnect my UTEC and all is back to stock without nissan knowing the wiser.

Overkill my a$$.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
venommaxr33

UTEC is the way to go....if your NA or FI....if you have the bolt on mods like me ur probably running lean. i saw a dyno of a utec on an NA car he went from 256whp to 281whp just from a utec tune. becareful who you let tune the utec. its a dos based software so its a little more tticky to tune. but for the money its the best right now.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

I think this thread because it deals with two ecu mods I've been thinking about. But I want to compare the Greddy EU (which has recently modified their programming to directly change ign and a/f vs tricking maf signals) to something like UTEC.

Now if you want to tune yourself (ie.. not take it to a shop), then which is easier to self tune? I think the UTEC needs another piece of hardware do to this? While the emanage has this ajustability built in?

I've also read that the EU is having problems advancing timing? Is that true still?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
You have NO idea what you're talking about. The Utec is an "investment" mod that even the best reflash cant top. But if you wanna keep spreading the false information like you know something then that just fine by me.
By the way... The third NA mod I purchased and had installed by AAM was the UTEC. Yes it make a HUGE difference even with the base maps before tuning. I'm very pleased with the fact that in the long run I saved money versus have to pay for a new reflash every time I added a new mod.
FYI. I'll have a different map for all different seasons and driving conditions. Can your reflash do that? The UTEC is at this time that most cost effective option as far as engine management is concerned. Reflash = Band-Aid

OH! And another thing... When it's time that take your Z in for warranty work it's feels good to know I wont have to deal with the drama of having to explain why all the ECM setting are different from stock when they connect it to their conZult reader (and they will) when I can just disconnect my UTEC and all is back to stock without nissan knowing the wiser.

Overkill my a$$.
First and foremost, I am not a proponent of the re-flash. In addition, you don’t know me from a hole in the wall so don’t go telling me that I don’t know what I am talking about. Furthermore, my Z was and soon will be again boosted by my Turbonetics kit. Looking at the list of mods you have, you don’t even come close to what I did to my car so all-in-all I know perfectly what I am talking about.

To get into details, the OP asked what would be the best route for his current set up and if I remember correctly, he didn’t state anything in regards to future modifications therefore the UTEC is irrelevant and is STILL overkill. Waaaay overkill. For the list of his mods, a Greddy Blue or E-Manage will work fine. The reason you ask? His car will only be running a little bit more lean and I know that both Greddy units are capable of adjusting fuel and timing for the basic mods he has. He doesn’t have other parameters such as boost that an EMS like the UTEC handles hence, why the UTEC is way overkill Hell, I even used a Greddy EU for my boosted Z and in worked fantastically well. I was running in to detonation problems at high loads \ boost using the reflash. That is when I realized that the reflash isn’t what it is cracked-up to be for FI and if you paid attention to my post, you would see me saying that I am not a fan of the reflash.

The moment I had the EU installed by the best shop in the West and possibly in the country as well as tuned, the car picked up many more horses, torque, engine responce was noticeably quicker and the detonation was gone. I no longer had to ride around with a 5 gallon tank full of 100 octane in my car if I wanted to have fun because the ignition and fuel input had been modified to my specifications which GT Motorsports conformed to diligently.

As for you last argument point about warranty, do you think that any Nissan dealership is going to warranty a car with all of these aftermarket parts on the car. Do oyu think the dealer is gonna give a crap about if he has a UTEC or not when he sees all these mods. Yeah, there goes that argument.

Me: +1

You: -1

Get some real knowledge, a turbo system THEN come holler at me.

Last edited by Blu_Blur; 05-24-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Blu_Blur

Also Havoc, enlighten me.

I learned that the UTEC is only functional when boost comes on. It shares the operations of the car with the stock ECU but as I said, only when boost comes on. Since you don't have boost (snicker snicker) how does the UTEC know when to activate and take over?

Lastly, am I the only one that sees the redundancy in both reflashing the ECU and then getting an EMS?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
savefatkids

i really dont care about my warranty.. id prefer to fix somethign myself then take it to th dealership. all i want is to get more power out of my mods. what would be the average hp one woud gain with my listed mods after a tune or reflash?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
venommaxr33

the UTEC can be set to take over at a certain RPM. its not only for boosted applications. there are quite a few N/A cars running UTEC and it makes a huge diff.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
venommaxr33

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Now if you want to tune yourself (ie.. not take it to a shop), then which is easier to self tune? I think the UTEC needs another piece of hardware do to this? While the emanage has this ajustability built in?
the tuning program for the UTEC is DOS based so if you dont know what your doing i wouldn't attemot to tune it.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by venommaxr33
the UTEC can be set to take over at a certain RPM. its not only for boosted applications. there are quite a few N/A cars running UTEC and it makes a huge diff.

Thank you sir. Learned something new.

It's still overkill though.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:25 AM
venommaxr33

had to get the last word, i like that
Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Blu_Blur

Well, I strongly believe it is overkill. On top of the facts which I've already stated, some of the most powerful Z's use the UTEC, so why would some guy with some simple breather mods need it. Knaw'mean?

Regardless, you added another fold in my brain by enlightening me on some of the UTECs features, so I appreciate that.

A UTEC was actually used on my car to retune the system so it could pass the State Ref. I do appreciate what the UTEC can do but it's just overkill for the OP.

Quick Reply: greddy e-manage OR technosquare???