Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

UTEC Tuning on APS TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Madelinot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTEC Tuning on APS TT

Hi,

In preparation to swap to a built block soon, I just switched from Unichip to UTEC recently and I'm in the process of tuning it now. I've read almost all the threads about this since 2006. My car has the APS TT with TD exhaust and test pipes and water/methanol injection (stock block for now). The TurboXS BCS and MAP sensor are both attached to the UTEC as per instructions and threads on this site (red and blue wires of BSC connected to 12v, black to Molex PIN 2).

Everything is going good do far, but I can not boost more than the standard spring pressure of the APS TT, which is around 6-7 PSI I beleive. That leads me to beleive that the BSC is not working like it should, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Plus the BSC is constantly ticking at idle, somethat like valves ticking. Is this normal? I know others reported the same ticking issue.

I started from the basic maps and parameters found on the TurboXS Website (APS TT 550cc). As expected since I'm using APS injectors, I had to add a lot of fuel (duty cycles) to the fuel map and I reduced timing a bit for now for safety reasons (2 degrees throughout). I am now running pretty consistant 11.0-11.5 A/F ratios and ~800C EGTs, which is about where I want to be.

Also, should I simply start to increase numbers within the boost table now (they're all zeros right now and I'm using closed loop control as can be seen below) ? Will that start to increase max boost under load?

Here are the special parameters setting:

Here are the Fuel parameters:

And here are my fuel and timing maps:

I would pay a visit to a UTEC tuner, but there are none less than about 8 hours away. Plus, I really want to learn all this stuff, be able to share it with others and be able to retune after I swap my block. Anything that I'm doing wrong? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Madelinot; 05-21-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 AM
athenG

/\ Yes you have to increase the value of your boost map else it will just run of your wastegate pressure. I'm not familiar with the close loop value but they are higher than Open Loop. My wastegte spring is around 6psi and I had to put the value 30 from 70%-100% column to get 1psi over as a starting point. I have a rear-mount turbo so it could be a litter different but just start in small increment and make sure set the boost cut off to be safe.

why do you have 3(psi) as your min map value and open loop threshold psi? So you are letting the ECU take control below 3psi?

Last edited by athenG; 05-22-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i'll installing the same setup as yours, so can you please tell me more about the software ur using ?(UTI.NET)
i'm a noob when it comes to UTEC
Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Madelinot

http://www.jeffsoftware.com/

Well worth it. That should come from TurboXS. I'm surprised that they didn't buy out Jeff's software...

I did some more testing and by adding some numbers to the Boost map, I was able to up the boost to about 8.5psi when I add 75 all over the boost map (closed loop). I will change the min MAP value to zero and rework the maps to see what that does. I just took what TurboXS provided with their parameter file. However, up to 3psi, the stock ECU can easily adjust to the demand.

I still have that ticking sound at idle coming from the BCS. Is this normal?

Also, I'm curious to see if others had to add that much fuel to get their O2 values to low 11s. That seems like a lot to me. The APS injectors are just about maxed out at 8.5 psi (96% IDC).

If anyone can provide an answer to the ticking sounds from the BCS, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM
athenG

Are you familiar with the delay on the A/F #'s with UTI? I have never trusted the UTI since it is very hard to get them in sync. Last thing you want is change the wrong RPM and Load column. You have to check the raw files with UTI and use the Inj. Duty Cycle, TPS, RPM Load to figure things out how much is the delay...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Madelinot

Yes, I know, that's one of my main issue right now. I'm using a Zeitronix for logging parameters and it's hard to make the translation from that to the UTI logs.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Madelinot

Ah, I think I found out why it is ticking. I should probably leave the 0% column of the boost map to zeros. That should do it. I will report back later.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by Madelinot
Ah, I think I found out why it is ticking. I should probably leave the 0% column of the boost map to zeros. That should do it. I will report back later.

I thought you have all the column on "0" before? If you put value on the 0 column then yes the BCS will tick. All you need is really populate the 70-100 column coz Boost Map is using RPMXTPS and not load. Just set everything below 50 to "0" since you are most likely cruising below 50% TPS.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Madelinot

Yes, that fixed it, I should have thought of that sooner.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 AM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What A/F are u shooting for during spool up and WOT with the WI kit ?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Madelinot

11.0-11.5. So far so good, I'm still playing a bit with fuel and timing, especially for part throttle... If anyone wants my maps for comparison purposes, please let me know.

I'm still curious to see what some other people have for fuel numbers. The fuel duty cycles i had to input to get to the target A/F seem really high to me.

Later,

Last edited by Madelinot; 05-23-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
athenG

what is the temp right now in Canada? The colder weather and denser air makes you add a lot more fuel, as the weather warm up you can just use Utec Temp Compensation to subtract fuel. As a Guide, I was tuned around 40C Deg and when the weather is below freezing (Air Intake Temp <1) then I had to add around 14% more fuel and when the AIT is between 1C-10C then I end up adding around 9% more fuel. Just make sure you injector is not getting maxed out.