Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Unichip? Worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM
raditz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
ROFL!

And yes, the Unichip is a pile of garbage, and a marketing gimic. And this is coming from an authorized Unichip tuner. If it's included in a kit, then fine, but I would never consider purchasing one seperately.
Why do you think that Sharif? here in Spain is becoming very popular the Unichip for the 350Z... I'm tired of hearing that it is far better than the UTEC, and as a UTEC owner/user, can't defend myself please help!!!

They say that a piggyback is ok because the ECU only makes corrections when it runs in closed loop mode (below 3000 rpm and 25% gas). When you run at WOT or near it, the stock ECU runs in open loop mode with a fixed fuel table and doesn't makes corrections at it...all of this is true?

Last edited by raditz; 06-18-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350ZNME
1) it was a joke, 2) im not racist just thought it was funny since im part asian my self, and 3) go ahead and get me baned becasue i could give 2 ***** about a forum
1.) It was not a joke if you thought it was.
2.) You are racist because you thought it was funny, but it wasn't; even
though you consider yourself part Asian...
3.) Getting banned from this site is the biggest mistake aside from being a racist.
So we wouldn't give a rat shiet about you.
4.) Hookedonphonics is in order, if you know what that is.
5.) Your grammar sucks.
6.) In conclusion, you are not Asian.

Last edited by Changvi; 06-19-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
ROFL!

And yes, the Unichip is a pile of garbage, and a marketing gimic. And this is coming from an authorized Unichip tuner. If it's included in a kit, then fine, but I would never consider purchasing one seperately.

i believe you 100 percent...you are a reputable tuner here. i actually had a tuner in the frisco area tell me to sell my utec and get the unichip. glad i read this post....not that i would have but that is saying alot if you are a tuner and say its garbage. just goes to show you how some tuners just want your money
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Changvi

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
1. You have no sense of humor
2. Your sarcasm sucks
3. You suck at grammar and spelling so there is no way you are Asian.
+1
Old 06-19-2008, 07:23 AM
gothchick

My vote:

He's not asian, but possibly from Mongolia.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by raditz
Why do you think that Sharif? here in Spain is becoming very popular the Unichip for the 350Z... I'm tired of hearing that it is far better than the UTEC, and as a UTEC owner/user, can't defend myself please help!!!

They say that a piggyback is ok because the ECU only makes corrections when it runs in closed loop mode (below 3000 rpm and 25% gas). When you run at WOT or near it, the stock ECU runs in open loop mode with a fixed fuel table and doesn't makes corrections at it...all of this is true?
Unichip's main source of revenue is the PnP units they sell for 100's of different vehicles. I have tried a couple of plug and play units on the Titan trucks, for instance, and recieved ZERO power gains. Also tried one on an 05 spyder and recieved no gain at all. However, their marketing indicates 10-50whp improvement depending on the application. After custom tuning, we did pick up a standard 10-15whp, but not the higher power claims that Unichip had indicated.

With respect to the unit included with the APS TT kit, it has a couple of major limitations: 1) scaling large injectors 2) getting consistent tunes since its offset based on timing and fuel. 3) sporadic issues with limp modes at high boost. Maybe I was a too harsh, but there are much better systems out there, that offer better safety, control, and consistency.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 06-19-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
05Z33

Having owned both a Unichip and a Utec; I must say that the Utec out performed the unichip in all aspects. I'm not saying that the unichip didn't work, for it did, but when compared to the utec; the Utec was far superior. It was a noticable difference. Also the resale on a unichip is horrible; where as the resale on a utec is reasonable.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Changvi

Originally Posted by gothchick
My vote:
He's not asian, but possibly from Mongolia.
I'd say he's from Tibet.