Will 370z have that "black box"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:30 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myG35zx
All 2009 Nissans.
Incorrect. Most current Nissans since as early as 2004 have the EDR BlackBox. The GT-R has a revised version of the blackbox that records parameters all the time. The current blackbox in the current Nissans records parameters at the time of airbag deployment.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 10-03-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Where is ours located? I'm gonna remove that bish. lol
You can't remove the EDR, it's interegrated into some major systems of the car to prevent you from removing it. It also is not the ECU.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 AM
GodSendsDeath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
You can't remove the EDR, it's interegrated into some major systems of the car to prevent you from removing it. It also is not the ECU.

I take it you have not seen 2fast 2furious
Old 10-03-2008, 07:49 AM
myG35zx

Incorrect. Most current Nissans since as early as 2004 have the EDR BlackBox. The GT-R has a revised version of the blackbox that records parameters all the time. The current blackbox in the current Nissans records parameters at the time of airbag deployment.
Autoweek, Black box on board
New standards for automotive big brother take effect in 2012

"...Today, every 2009 Nissan sold in the United States is fitted with an EDR, and along with nearly every automaker selling EDR-equipped vehicles, Nissan records or will be able to record the 30 data points that the federal government will require of all EDR-equipped vehicles by 2012.

U.S. automakers remain at the forefront of EDR proliferation, which isn't surprising given that General Motors pioneered EDRs in race cars in the 1970s and '80s and installed the first rudimentary black-box recorders in passenger cars in its 2000-model-year vehicles. GM vehicles equipped with OnStar tap into onboard black boxes to diagnose operating systems. With the owner's permission, OnStar will use that data to notify the owner of pending service needs.

German makers tend to avoid EDRs, partly because strict German privacy laws limit the use of such recording devices and partly because the companies tend to view EDRs as having questionable value for customers.

"We have not viewed that feature as necessary or beneficial for the brand or our customers," explained Rob Moran, a spokesman for the U.S. arm of German automaker Mercedes-Benz.

Cost-conscious Korean companies such as Kia and Hyundai haven't installed EDRs, instead using sensors to deploy airbags but skipping the added cost and complexity of EDRs.

What's the state of the art? EDRs in today's cars begin recording data as early as five seconds before a crash, and they save information such as vehicle speed, throttle position, engine speed, brake action, whether stability control was on or off, steering input and whether antilock brakes worked. At the time of a crash and immediately after, other data are added, including change in vehicle velocity, seatbelt use, airbag status and how the airbags performed in the accident. Some data also are recorded for as long as five seconds after an initial crash, including secondary impacts and vehicle roll angle...."

According to above, it records as early as five seconds before a accident, the airbag is milliseconds (guessing) before the accident. What triggers the recording then? My guess is a culmination of data from the 30 monitored points, one being the airbag.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

EVERY Nissan, meaning all models. NOW. The 350Z has had it since 2004 and most other Nissans. And thank you for agreeing with me on how the EDR works on current cars.

"...Today, every 2009 Nissan sold in the United States is fitted with an EDR, and along with nearly every automaker selling EDR-equipped vehicles, Nissan records or will be able to record the 30 data points that the federal government will require of all EDR-equipped vehicles by 2012.

U.S. automakers remain at the forefront of EDR proliferation, which isn't surprising given that General Motors pioneered EDRs in race cars in the 1970s and '80s and installed the first rudimentary black-box recorders in passenger cars in its 2000-model-year vehicles. GM vehicles equipped with OnStar tap into onboard black boxes to diagnose operating systems. With the owner's permission, OnStar will use that data to notify the owner of pending service needs.

German makers tend to avoid EDRs, partly because strict German privacy laws limit the use of such recording devices and partly because the companies tend to view EDRs as having questionable value for customers.

"We have not viewed that feature as necessary or beneficial for the brand or our customers," explained Rob Moran, a spokesman for the U.S. arm of German automaker Mercedes-Benz.

Cost-conscious Korean companies such as Kia and Hyundai haven't installed EDRs, instead using sensors to deploy airbags but skipping the added cost and complexity of EDRs.

What's the state of the art? EDRs in today's cars begin recording data as early as five seconds before a crash, and they save information such as vehicle speed, throttle position, engine speed, brake action, whether stability control was on or off, steering input and whether antilock brakes worked. At the time of a crash and immediately after, other data are added, including change in vehicle velocity, seatbelt use, airbag status and how the airbags performed in the accident. Some data also are recorded for as long as five seconds after an initial crash, including secondary impacts and vehicle roll angle...."

According to above, it records as early as five seconds before a accident, the airbag is milliseconds (guessing) before the accident. What triggers the recording then? My guess is a culmination of data from the 30 monitored points, one being the airbag.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 AM
myG35zx

EVERY Nissan, meaning all models. NOW. The 350Z has had it since 2004 and most other Nissans. And thank you for agreeing with me on how the EDR works on current cars.
I was never disagreeing with you. But if it allows you to have a better weekend. I think you mistakenly took my original response as to answering his question about the GTR. I was correcting the statement about that ALL Nissans have EDR’s. I then questioned if your statement saying that the airbag solely triggers the recording is correct because of the article. Not that I’m saying you’re wrong, but it differs from Autoweek.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
All Nissan's have EDR's. Will it have a system like the GTR? I assume if it has an automated gearbox like the GTR, then yes. If they fit it with a conventional auto and stick, I'd say no.
All 2009 Nissans.

"...Today, every 2009 Nissan sold in the United States is fitted with an EDR, and along with nearly every automaker selling EDR-equipped vehicles, Nissan records or will be able to record the 30 data points that the federal government will require of all EDR-equipped vehicles by 2012. ….

Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I was never disagreeing with you. But if it allows you to have a better weekend. I think you mistakenly took my original response as to answering his question about the GTR. I was correcting the statement about that ALL Nissans have EDR’s. I then questioned if your statement saying that the airbag solely triggers the recording is correct because of the article. Not that I’m saying you’re wrong, but it differs from Autoweek.
The Airbag does trigger the system to save the last 5 seconds of the data that was recorded.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 AM
in.the.dark

The Airbag does trigger the system to save the last 5 seconds of the data that was recorded.
You are right. There is a constant stream of data and when the buffer fills up, it deletes the information as it records the new information. If the bag deploys, it signals the program to save the previous and next five seconds. Simple. With the warranty issue, what they do is have a preset flag that gets set off when a parameter equals or exceeds a certain predetermined value. When you go in to get service, the system tattles on you.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Silent9o8

wow time to keep it old school then F new cars!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys are getting mixed up in your details and names. All 2009 Nissans have an Event Data Recorder (EDR) that typically records based on an accident or near-accident event. The GTR comes with a second Vehicle Status Data Recorder (VSDR). The VSDR is the one that constantly monitors and records what's going on in the car - that's the one watching VDC and launch control, etc.

The OP is asking whether the 370Z will include a VSDR, it's a given that it will have an EDR.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 PM
CLETUS

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
You guys are getting mixed up in your details and names. All 2009 Nissans have an Event Data Recorder (EDR) that typically records based on an accident or near-accident event. The GTR comes with a second Vehicle Status Data Recorder (VSDR). The VSDR is the one that constantly monitors and records what's going on in the car - that's the one watching VDC and launch control, etc.

The OP is asking whether the 370Z will include a VSDR, it's a given that it will have an EDR.

correct! EDR's monitor (among other things) crash event data, while the VSDR is to monitor how the car is driven for warranty purposes. On Dodge diesel trucks we can look at how hard the engine was used (rpm range and torque output) and for how long. EX: it shows in minutes and seconds how long the engine was at 10%, 20%, 30% power output etc.... On the scan tool we use it to determine if the engine was abused to determine warranty status. Even though we have this ability, I personally have never seen this feature used to deny a warranty claim, but i am not saying it has never happened.

I have pretty much decided that I will not buy a new car past 2011.....but thats ok cause i love my Z!!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 PM
mthreat

The Uprev guys need to come up with a product that defeats this "black box" you speak of.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,266 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
the "black box" will be federally mandated by 2012
Negative. The law that goes into effect in '12 sets a standard set of guidelines for what an EDR must record. The law DOES NOT require automaker to install EDR's.

That's what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by mthreat
The Uprev guys need to come up with a product that defeats this "black box" you speak of.
If you disable it, your airbags won't work.

Last edited by i8acobra; 10-03-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Sunset350ZR

So if I were to get the Cobb AP which uses their shelf tuning but reset the factory settings before taking car back to dealer for a problem, The dealer would know everything that has been done to my car and how I drive it? Can someone please tell the actual limits of what Nissan has now and what they plan for the future? That Genesis just might be looking better all the time.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Which would automatically void the warranty making the whole thing pointless. You don't want something to monitor your behavior so your warranty isn't voided so you defeat it which automatically voids the warranty that you were trying to save.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 AM
CrownR426

Nissan better not put VSDR in the 370z!
I hope they don't...
*Crosses Fingers*
T:
Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Silent9o8

Thx basically cleared it up =) lets jsut hope 370z doesnt have VSDR then
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
J. Dub

K so where is our EDR aka Black box on those of us with a 350z?