Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

My experience with Osiris :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 PM
G35Soul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Osiris :)

Osiris

I don't want to bore you all with another "YAY FOR OSIRIS!" thread, but I'd like to share my experience with it today.

Received a flash & tune today, and I can honestly say that I am very pleased with how easy this program is to tune with. I moved over to the VQ motor a couple of months ago to build on a new platform after spending 10yrs in the honda-tuning scene. Unlike the honda world where cheap, easy & extremely reliable tuning software is easy to find... I was getting pretty frustrated in trying to find something that was relatively cheap, easy & reliable for the VQ until I played with Osiris.

I have an '03 Track edition. Motor is pretty much stock, besides a 5/16" plenum spacer, K&N filter, test pipes & true dual exhaust. It's hard to see my a/f ratio untuned, but it was DANGERSOULY lean! (around 17 at 4k rpm YIKES~!). I was pretty skeptical when I heard of how "lean" the VQ can get with minor simple bolt ons. However, seeing my base run almost gave me a heart attack!

With Osiris, I got a very even 13.7 A/F @WOT throughout the entire powerband, and able to gain an average of 4-6 whp & 4-5ft/lb through the midrange.

I'm a avid road racer/HPDE'r, so I wasn't looking to gain MAXIMUM horsepower. I was looking for a reliable tune to carry me through 20min, 6.5K rpm track sessions, with a smooth & powerful midrange powerband.

The throttle response & silky smooth powerband I received from tuning with Osiris will make next year's track season FUN!

Thanks Uprev
Fred

(red line = untuned, blue line = tuned w/ Osiris)

My '03 track ed. on the dynojet:

Last edited by G35Soul; 11-22-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have expected a much better gain like others though. That is a low gain.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I would have expected a much better gain like others though. That is a low gain.
There is no magical gain number. You gain what your car has left. Tuning only allows for better efficiency, your car will make what it is capable of.

Solid looking gains, is that the base flash or after an eTune? Or is it a custom tune?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Thank you for the input.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:11 PM
G35Soul

Originally Posted by UpRev
There is no magical gain number. You gain what your car has left. Tuning only allows for better efficiency, your car will make what it is capable of.

Solid looking gains, is that the base flash or after an eTune? Or is it a custom tune?
This was a custom tune. Lawrence at Intec helped tune it for me. Overall, the car just felt solid. Great throttle response, and a smooth powerband. Before the tune, 4-6.5krpm felt very unstable....lots of dips in the power band. Osiris fixed all of that Can't wait to put down some lap times at Pacific Raceways!

Just to reiterate what UpRev stated, there really is no magical gain number. Tuning gives you peice of mind that you're not hurting your motor, and ensures its longevity. I couldn't believe my a/f was at 17 at 4k rpm. We also checked my cruising a/f before the tune, and at one point it hit 18.1-18.2 Scary to think that I was doing damage just from DAILY DRIVING!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by G35Soul
This was a custom tune. Lawrence at Intec helped tune it for me. Overall, the car just felt solid. Great throttle response, and a smooth powerband. Before the tune, 4-6.5krpm felt very unstable....lots of dips in the power band. Osiris fixed all of that Can't wait to put down some lap times at Pacific Raceways!

Just to reiterate what UpRev stated, there really is no magical gain number. Tuning gives you peice of mind that you're not hurting your motor, and ensures its longevity. I couldn't believe my a/f was at 17 at 4k rpm. We also checked my cruising a/f before the tune, and at one point it hit 18.1-18.2 Scary to think that I was doing damage just from DAILY DRIVING!
This isn't the car that had the rat living under the plenum was it?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM
G35Soul

lol...no it isn't. Thankfully! I'll have to ask Lawrence about that story!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 or 3 hp can be seen just between runs. well within the noise on a dyno.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 AM
twin001

Originally Posted by str8dum1
2 or 3 hp can be seen just between runs. well within the noise on a dyno.

but throughout the entire powerband? I would agree with that statement if the two lines criss-crossed at any point, but they don't.

OP, nice looking gains. I can't wait to get my e-tune back and go back to the dyno. UPREV has the best customer service to back their great product too
Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

All depends on the tuner as well guys. One tuner might be more agreesive over another one to know where he can really pull more out of the car. But the MEAN average of his gain is good as you can see by the graph. PEAK is not always something you want to look at.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by G35Soul

I doubt you were doing any damage cruising at 18 afr - cylinder pressures are low under vacuum so chance of detonating is low. I'm sure it feels better at 14.7 though! Max power NA usually equates to an AFR in the range of 12.6 to 13 flat, but if you dyno'd at 13.7 for peak power then no arguing that (could be wideband was reading a bit lean or that's just what your car liked).

I too have been impressed with Osiris. I have no idea how they figured all this crap out because the way the stock ECU works is just a bit odd (compared to the standalones out there). UpRev folks are wizards!

Last edited by rcdash; 11-24-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Tatakai

Lawrence tunes for a happy medium between performance and reliability. Many tuners just go straight for power, and brag all day about how much power they make. But, their motors dont last long. Lawrences' tunes last forever. If the motor blows, its by operator error/lack of maintenance.

oh, and the rats nest thing was in a orange 350z, we were tuning it and for some reason couldn't get a knock sensor reading.... popped the intake and found some dead homies.

Last edited by Tatakai; 11-25-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:50 PM
civic4982

Originally Posted by Tatakai
Lawrences' tunes last forever. If the motor blows, its by operator error/lack of maintenance.
That's the most retarded attempt at a knowledgable statement I've yet to see in this tuning subforum. Congrats.

I highly doubt this man is as perfect as you would like to portray.

One thing I've learned about the aftermarket auto industry is everyone of these folks makes large gaping mistakes and frankly they make them much more often than your car manufacturer. They all have skeleton's in their closet and they've all screwed up enough times to hopefully learn from it.

If the motors blow, it's usually the tuner's error as opposed to operator error and lack of maintenance. Frankly the folks who have their cars actually tuned heavily maintain their cars. They do this moreso than the average automotive owner or even the average automotive enthusiast. People who pay others to tune their cars are dishing out serious money usually and won't be the kind of guys (or gals) to say "oh I think I'll just turn up the boost today" as opposed to being the types of folks to say "I think I'll have my tuner make a new map for me for higher boost."

Get over yourself.