Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris Tune Twin Turbo Greddy 404HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/\ You still dont get it man.. We know it does work but for some of us it lack the safety feature that Utec provides..

1. You are comparing it to a much stronger motor (HR>DE)
2. A fresh install doesn't indicate it is safe/reliable
3. Still doesn't give us the safety feature like overboost protection, active knock control, third party WB support for self tuner...

What happen if the owner of that car accidentally get a bad tank of gas and the wastegate fail or vacuum line failed and the boost shoot to 25psi? BBOOOMMMM now how will Osiris protect you from that?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 PM
S&R Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I am not against the UTEC in any way. I do however think the Osiris software will get better. Just like the entire EVO and STI open source software did.

There are good features Osiris can offer such as throttle control and cam phasing that can play a big role in performance.

We tune a lot Shelby’s and Cobra’s that even don’t come with knock sensor and we build some serious high horse power Stangs in the ball park of 23 to 25lbs of boost with out any kind of knock control and there done open source.

If you have to always check your knock because have your timing is on the edge of disaster. Chances are you are not making any more power than if you back it down a degree or two and be safe.

The point I was making was I am making more power with less boost. I am making more bottom end power…Thanks to cam phasing. More top end power …thanks to Throttle control.
Stay tuned when I put 600cc injectors and make 430hp with only 8.5 lb’s of boost

I don’t see how Osiris is more expensive. You have one time fee $400.00 and a tune for 350. UTEC is 900 new plus your tune.

I’m personally a AEM fan and would love to see this in a Z.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S&R Performance
I don’t see how Osiris is more expensive. You have one time fee $400.00 and a tune for 350. UTEC is 900 new plus your tune.
For DIY'ers, the UTEC is much cheaper. They have come down in price quite a bit, and you can find them used for around $500. You don't have to pay money every time you make a change to your car and want to change the tune, and you don't need to buy an aftermarket MAF.

If I lived close to a good tuner who has knock equipment on-hand, and I don't plan on making any changes to my car, I would think about going with Osiris. But for the DIY route (especially with an '03) it's just not an option.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by athenG
Now for self tuner, do you want to keep going to a dyno just to tune your car? Utec has 3rd party support for WB, I dont care what they say but I wont trust the OEM 02 sensor to be accurate below 11.5:1, for self tuner then Utec is still better IMO. Utec does also log knock so you know where to make adjustment on the tune, I dont know if Osiris has knock logging capability but if it did then how accurate coz ECU dont monitor knock on the higher rpm. How can you do a street tune without knowing if you are detonating already?
UpRev's Osiris Tuner Pro gives anyone that buys it the ability to tune their car whenever they want. Just liike you do with your UTEC. UpRev is adding support for non-OEM wideband units, but you are correct... it's not in there yet.

There will be "helper apps" written for Osiris, just as there are for the UTEC environment... IMO.

There are things that the OEM ECU can do that the UTEC can't do. I don't believe a UTEC can change cam shaft timing... intake or exhaust. Not sure if a UTEC will work on a HR, but I don't think so. I think the EMS future is true standalones (Haltech, FCon) for the high boosted multiple power adder cars, and Osiris OEM ECU tunes for normally aspirated and simple turbo or supercharged cars. No doubt many people will keep their UTEC's for quite a while, but it seems to be a dead product.

I'm not hating on the Osiris, I just want to correct some of the reflash nuthugger saying that people are just brainwashed to use Utec. There is a reason why some still prefer Utec.
I know exactly what you mean...

I'm currently dealing with a UTEC NutHugger myself...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 AM
athenG

/\ Yes if Osiris indeed find a way to add the third party WB support and Knock control then only then I will start favoring Osiris over Utec. I'm willing to give up the overboost cutoff protection and the boost control that utec offer. I wish Osiris will be able to control knock more on a rpm/load basis instead of switching to a High Det Map. I love Utec knock control coz you are in control on how much timing to retard and only on a specific RPM and Load, this allow you to keep your tune the entire time so you still have a chance to win the race. When knock is detected with Osiris, the ECU basically just switch to a much much conservative map so the over all tune is changed. Also, I hope Osiris will be able to distribute fuel map coz it's going to be a pain to tune the fuel from scratch...

The bottom line Osiris future is promising but until they deliver then UTEC IS STILL GOING TO BE THE TOP DOG IN THE SUB $1000 EMS. Utec also promised so many upgrade like version upgrade, launch control..etc and look what happen. I'll be monitoring Osiris and hopefully it can keep all its promises.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 AM
diwun67

Originally Posted by frankie945
Utec Osiris I'm sticking with my Utec for awhile....
+1, I think I'm gonna stay on the fence yet for a WHILE longer and keep my UTEC. For one, I can't see selling it to get Osiris tuned and expect a big enough return horsepower-wise for the $$$ spent. If it ain't broke don't fix it

What if down the line I want to do a water/meth injection kit with an rpm-based on-off switch? I doubt Osiris will EVER be able to do that.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

/\ Yes if Osiris indeed find a way to add the third party WB support and Knock control then only then I will start favoring Osiris over Utec. I'm willing to give up the overboost cutoff protection and the boost control that utec offer.
No need to give up something that works well for you until the new product can meet all your needs.

You have a well thought out engine management system tailored exactly to your needs. I think you are probably fairly unique in that respect.

I wish Osiris will be able to control knock more on a rpm/load basis instead of switching to a High Det Map. I love Utec knock control coz you are in control on how much timing to retard and only on a specific RPM and Load, this allow you to keep your tune the entire time so you still have a chance to win the race. When knock is detected with Osiris, the ECU basically just switch to a much much conservative map so the over all tune is changed. Also, I hope Osiris will be able to distribute fuel map coz it's going to be a pain to tune the fuel from scratch...
UpRev has plans for online forums where information and map sharing will be supported. All of this is taking longer than they originally planned. UpRev is a very small company.

The bottom line Osiris future is promising but until they deliver then UTEC IS STILL GOING TO BE THE TOP DOG IN THE SUB $1000 EMS. Utec also promised so many upgrade like version upgrade, launch control..etc and look what happen. I'll be monitoring Osiris and hopefully it can keep all its promises.
I'm running out of things to argue with you...

You have defended the UTEC well. UTEC's are time proven products that have been tested through time... a mature product. Osiris is the future for some/lots of VQ engined cars. I think it's a win/win for VQ owners. Good luck with your car...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by __jb
You have defended the UTEC well. UTEC's are time proven products that have been tested through time... a mature product. Osiris is the future for some/lots of VQ engined cars. I think it's a win/win for VQ owners. Good luck with your car...

Amen to that!!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
UpRev
Banned

Now that you two have kissed and made up.

Utec will never have the driveability that Osiris offers for the simple fact that there always will be a switch over. You can cure most that issue on the Utec by using Osiris along with the Utec though. Many customers have that setup right now and are able the way the car runs stock, just with more power.

Osiris is not the end all be all of tuning. We're a choice that you have. We do not integrate third party sensors, we don't do boost control. We do however have a way to safely control boosted vehicles. Measuring things like boost level doesn't tell the whole story, measuring volume/density/temperature of air is far superior, and that is one thing we have over most piggyback/stand alone units. We also have options because one size does not fit all. Our products go head to head with companies like Technosquare, COBB, TurboXS, BullyDog, Superchips, etc and range from $244 to $900. We can't be all things to all people, but we're fairly good at being most things to Nissan and Infinity owners.

The other thing we do have an advantage in, is support. We continue to further our product, where companies like TurboXS have basically stopped all R&D on the Utec, and they have no plans to support the HR. As far as adding to the sensor network on the vehicle, anything is possible, and the newer vehicles are coming with more and better sensors, so we'll see.

I think more than anything, our results speak for themselves, all arguments aside. We're a small company that has nearly doubled our supported vehicle list in the last 9 months and that continues to grow, with HR and 08 Titan coming in the next month. We've finalized Osiris Tuner for customers that want more control themselves. Doubled the number of Pro Tuners, and there are many more on the way shortly. Rebuilt our website from the ground up. The list keeps growing.

Another thing no other company that you guys deal with has done, is listen. What other manufacturer has actually taken any of their time to discuss the product, or actually helped anyone here when they had an issue. Maybe you've had help from a reseller, but it's rare that any manufacturer has come to these boards to discuss anything.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Rich, I sent you guys a email and still haven't gotten a response. Can you please respond to it. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
weslutes

/\ You still dont get it man.. We know it does work but for some of us it lack the safety feature that Utec provides..

1. You are comparing it to a much stronger motor (HR>DE)
2. A fresh install doesn't indicate it is safe/reliable
3. Still doesn't give us the safety feature like overboost protection, active knock control, third party WB support for self tuner...

What happen if the owner of that car accidentally get a bad tank of gas and the wastegate fail or vacuum line failed and the boost shoot to 25psi? BBOOOMMMM now how will Osiris protect you from that?
I addition to a stronger motor:
GTM used the HKS EVC Boost Controller which controls boost & has the overboost protection.
I'm sure they hooked up an HKS knock amp for a conservative tune.
If there is a bad tank of gas, I bet the ECU/Osiris will sense in the early rpm & go to their safety map.
GTM has seemed to have put out a lot of great/reliable cars, that is why I had Sam tune mine.

I'm currently using Utec & am installing the tuner reg tomorrow. Both products should work great if you set them up right. I like that the Utec has all the features in one unit. My Greddy e-01 along with the Utec has eliminated boost spike & doubled the overboost protection.

We're all learning more by the sec. Hopefully this product does turn out to be the superior product.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:54 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by weslutes
If there is a bad tank of gas, I bet the ECU/Osiris will sense in the early rpm & go to their safety mat.
Yes the ECU will switch to the safe map when knock is detected but sometimes you can just be cruising with a bad tank of gas and not knock. Detonation may not appear until you hit full boost and higher rpm, by then you are in trouble if you are in the higher rpm coz the ECU is not monitoring it. This happened to me, I was fine until I hit 4+ psi.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 PM
weslutes

Yes the ECU will switch to the safe map when knock is detected but sometimes you can just be cruising with a bad tank of gas and not knock. Detonation may not appear until you hit full boost and higher rpm, by then you are in trouble if you are in the higher rpm coz the ECU is not monitoring it. This happened to me, I was fine until I hit 4+ psi.
I see what you're sayin.
Does the Utec use active knock control that will not just monitor but will also react & retard timing when knock is detected or does it just cut the motor?

Last edited by weslutes; 01-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
athenG

I see what you're sayin.
Does the Utec use active knock control that will not just monitor but will also react & retard timing when knock is detected or does it just cut the motor?
Utec monitor and also react when knock is detected. You can also adjust the knock sensitivity and you can specify how much timing you want to pull when knock is detected, the timing being pulled is also in increment so the more knock it see the more timing it will pull. This is great coz there is no point of pulling 10deg of timing if you can just pull 3deg to eliminate the knock. Utec will only pull timing on the rpm/load site where you are knocking.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 AM
k6750gsxr

Is there any update on the injectors for this car?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
tiguy99

Wow I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. A lot of good information in here.

Has anyone ever done a UTEC vs. HKS F-Con IS comparison? Pros/Cons etc?

As for the Osirus/UTEC combo, I think that would also be a great idea as an alternative for folks who don't want to spend the bigger $$$ for standalone EMS systems.

But like the guy said on page one...its all about the tuner and what they prefer that will keep you in a safe place
Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i love this thread
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Wow I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. A lot of good information in here.

Has anyone ever done a UTEC vs. HKS F-Con IS comparison? Pros/Cons etc?

As for the Osirus/UTEC combo, I think that would also be a great idea as an alternative for folks who don't want to spend the bigger $$$ for standalone EMS systems.

But like the guy said on page one...its all about the tuner and what they prefer that will keep you in a safe place
I think Osiris by itself is the better idea for folks that don't want to spend the bigger $$$.

Actually, I think Osiris by itself is better in most ways... especially if you're NA... and doubly especially if you have a RevUp or newer VQ engine...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:16 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The HKS EVC's overboost protection -- It's far too slow to respond to sudden boost spike and cannot protect from a mechanical malfunction leading to overboost. Only an ECU based fuel/ignition cut is going to offer you real protection.

I addition to a stronger motor:
GTM used the HKS EVC Boost Controller which controls boost & has the overboost protection.
I'm sure they hooked up an HKS knock amp for a conservative tune.
If there is a bad tank of gas, I bet the ECU/Osiris will sense in the early rpm & go to their safety map.
GTM has seemed to have put out a lot of great/reliable cars, that is why I had Sam tune mine.

I'm currently using Utec & am installing the tuner reg tomorrow. Both products should work great if you set them up right. I like that the Utec has all the features in one unit. My Greddy e-01 along with the Utec has eliminated boost spike & doubled the overboost protection.

We're all learning more by the sec. Hopefully this product does turn out to be the superior product.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 AM
tiguy99

Have there been any Osirus updates since this thread came out? I'm shopping for an FI based EMS and where I live, the tuners can tune well with either choice.

Another question: what things are tuners doing to get around the knock protection on the Osirus tunes cars?

Like if I go in and ask for an Osirus tune, will they sell me some other stuff to protect against knock?

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-20-2010 at 06:25 AM.