Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

No one uses Megasquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Corbic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No one uses Megasquirt?

Did a search, found like three threads...

So no one uses the $300 stand-alone wonder around here?

Has anyone used it on a 350Z yet? I notice it's also rather rare on 240 builds as well. (Friends and I have used it on several applications to date).
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
SoldzMyZ

The folks at 2gnt.com (nonturbo 95-99 mitsu eclipse) used it and it was a godsend since we didn't have the ems systems like the 350z and honda's have. I think it will take time for the MS to tricly down since its a pretty diy project and most guys here tend to pay others to do there tuning...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Jime
Banned

Most people have too much money and too little knowledge to setup a Megasquirt.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Jime
Most people have too much money and too little knowledge to setup a Megasquirt.
The amount of time you need to devote and not to mention the tuning required is just not practical for just fuel control. Fuel tuning alone is not enough. At that price with tuning and all the time you have spent is just not practical!! I believe Megasquirt II control timing but that is around $400-$500 and not to mention there will be no base map so you have to tune from scratch!! Oh, what about the cost of other sensor needed? You can go get an Osiris w/ a full tune without the headache and that gives you control with fuel and ignition. For FI application you can also get a Utec and also have full control of your fuel and ignition!! Also newer car has smart ECU so not sure how well can it work, you cant really remove the ECU on our car coz it control other feature so it need to work with it side by side.

Last edited by athenG; 04-01-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:03 PM
etx

I build and setup a MegaSquirt in my 420a powered 2gnt. I loved it, and when I decide to setup something for fuel and spark MS will be it for sure. It's not easy to install, but tuning is straight forward if you understand how to tune a car.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
UpRev
Banned

I don't see why you COULDN'T use a MegaSquirt. But why WOULD you?

There are better options, with more control already on the market. The MegaSquirt was a fair enough option on OBDI cars but with the technology in todays stock ECU there isn't a reason to worry about it.

By the same logic, why isn't anyone running Bias Ply tires on their cars anymore? Better options with more control.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Corbic

Originally Posted by UpRev

By the same logic, why isn't anyone running Bias Ply tires on their cars anymore? Better options with more control.
Yes... because a full standalone EMS for less then $300 that is completely customizable is the exact same thing as using 50 year old tire technology...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
GenPac

I don't see why you COULDN'T use a MegaSquirt. But why WOULD you?

There are better options, with more control already on the market. The MegaSquirt was a fair enough option on OBDI cars but with the technology in todays stock ECU there isn't a reason to worry about it.
MSII would be a good DIY solution for vehicles that have little to NO computer controls... I am considering running this for fuel and spark on my project '69 Chevelle. It is very flexible, almost to a fault, it would seem. Lack of sequential injection is an issue for some.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
cmoose11

this is big in the saab world. tons of people had it on there c900.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops it's not AG forum... i am so dirty !!!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by GenPac
MSII would be a good DIY solution for vehicles that have little to NO computer controls... I am considering running this for fuel and spark on my project '69 Chevelle. It is very flexible, almost to a fault, it would seem. Lack of sequential injection is an issue for some.
Correct, you're taking a stone age vehicle (carburetor) and bringing it into the future. You're probably also not going to run Bias Ply tires on it, like the ones it came with.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by cmoose11
this is big in the saab world. tons of people had it on there c900.
OBDI or older cars yes.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM
*Boose*

I wouldn't say just the OBDI cars as alot of people in the neon world tuned OBDII on MS and had alot of success with it. I had the program installed on my laptop from my Neon days and it wasn't as bad as most people think. Just very time consuming. Very cheap alternative to Greddy E-manage or the only few other options that were available. For $400 bucks you could tune ignition, spark, fuel, pretty much everything you could do with a full EMS but alot cheaper.

Also the 2gnt cars have Neon DOHC engines with reversed heads. Fun fact.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Corbic
Yes... because a full standalone EMS for less then $300 that is completely customizable is the exact same thing as using 50 year old tire technology...
Not full standalone EMS. You're not talking about a MegaSquirt in a Nissan vehicle newer than 2003. Not completely customizable, it has very defined limits.

Prove me wrong, show me a Nissan 2003 or newer running on a $300 MegaSquirt that doesn't have some issue. Even the Sentra guys hate it on their QR25 motors, but it's all they have besides the SAFC stuff. They use it because they have no choice, then know it sucks and it's not safe, which is why they keep grenading motors.

$400 will get your stock ECU a full flash thats far safer than the MegaSquirt running as a piggyback because it can't run as a full standalone, unless you want to give up your gauges, ABS, etc etc.

If you want to go FI on your Nissan, then $400 + dyno tuning will get you everything you need to run up to the limit of the MAF. Add $224 to get the upgraded MAF and you're safe to the limit of the motor/fuel system up to 1000-ish HP. $900 gets you a full tuner system if you want to tune it yourself for whatever reason.

No wiring needed. No hoping the stock ECU doesn't adjust itself and screw up the tune you spent time dialing in on your MegaSquirt.

The only thing that was remotely neat about the MegaSquirt was the autotune function. You could give it a go and as long as your car wasn't that crazy/bleeding edge then it would do some basic adjustments. It's not a very fast processor (MSII is like 1/4 the speed of an 03 350Z ECU) but it worked decent enough. Only thing it did was keep you from having to build and keep base maps to get the car started and running before you tuned it. Neat, but not a good place to start your full dyno tune from. Most tuners still started with known values and built their tune from there.

And the comparison to Bias Plys is very valid. EMS doesn't mean it has capabilities. The newer generation EMS stuff that is coming out has technology from OEM ECU's of 5-10 years ago. An EMS company doesn't have the money to develop bleeding edge designs. OEMs build million plus units in an ECU run, the money they spend developing a single ECU generation at Nissan is multiples of the combined money spent by all aftermarket ECU manufacturers to date. There have been 7 generations on Nissan ECU since the 2003 model year. The way a current OEM ECU calculates and adjusts is far more complicated than a simple EMS like the MegaSquirt. There is a huge difference in technology and ability, as there is between BiasPly and Radial tires.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by NoWin
I wouldn't say just the OBDI cars as alot of people in the neon world tuned OBDII on MS and had alot of success with it. I had the program installed on my laptop from my Neon days and it wasn't as bad as most people think. Just very time consuming. Very cheap alternative to Greddy E-manage or the only few other options that were available. For $400 bucks you could tune ignition, spark, fuel, pretty much everything you could do with a full EMS but alot cheaper.

Also the 2gnt cars have Neon DOHC engines with reversed heads. Fun fact.
Being able to adjust a few base parameters is nice. But the resolution of the data, the amount of compensation and the speed at which these things happen is far more important. You could have 8x8 resolution on an EMS that runs 20,000 samples a second that would be far safer than 16x16 resolution at 4 samples a second.

Also in a world where you have no other choice, it may be an option. If there are better safer faster choices, then why take a step backwards in technology?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$400 will get your stock ECU a full flash thats far safer than the MegaSquirt running as a piggyback because it can't run as a full standalone, unless you want to give up your gauges, ABS, etc etc.

No wiring needed. No hoping the stock ECU doesn't adjust itself and screw up the tune you spent time dialing in on your MegaSquirt.

Some of these statements are false. I have had great succses with Megasquirt as a standalone, contoling fuel and ignition. My setup had 3 ignition drivers and it worked great with coilpacks. Megasquirt can be used as a full standalone (removing your stock ECU) and it has been done on OBDII cars like the one I had.

Maybe not on a 350z but it has been done. Tuning it is just like any aftermarket piggyback/standalone, and IS MUCH BETTER THAN A REFLASH IMO. I know many that have turned a mid 15's car in to a high 11's car with a turbo and Megasquirt, never having any issues.

This is my favorite:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/W...mpg_641894.htm

14psi on a 2.5L Mazda KLDE engine, powered by Megasquirt.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 04-01-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Maybe not on a 350z but it has been done.
False statements? Please explain since you seem to be so knowledgeable on the subject what a Flash cannot do?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
BoostedProbe

False statements? Please explain since you seem to be so knowledgeable on the subject what a Flash cannot do?
I never said that there are things a reflash can't do. I just stated that in my oppinion, MS would be better than a reflash. Again, maybe not in the case of a 350z. It is just my point of view. There are many cars out there, where a reflash is simply not available and MS does the job just fine.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I never said that there are things a reflash can't do. I just stated that in my oppinion, MS would be better than a reflash. Again, maybe not in the case of a 350z. It is just my point of view. There are many cars out there, where a reflash is simply not available and MS does the job just fine.
LOL yes you did and you edited your post. At least be honest.

And thats not the point in this thread. He is on the my350z board asking about running a MegaSquirt on a particular car.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
BoostedProbe

LOL yes you did and you edited your post. At least be honest.

And thats not the point in this thread. He is on the my350z board asking about running a MegaSquirt on a particular car.
Sorry but I didn't edit my post, that is me being honest. If you can tell time you can see that yourself.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 04-02-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: No one uses Megasquirt?