Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Re-Tune Needed after motor swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM
ChuckD05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Tune Needed after motor swap ?

I have an 03 g coupe, the motor went on it at 110,000 hard miles and 40k of eating tons and tons of oil.... I picked up a motor with 32k out of a 04 auto Z and got it installed ... The shop used the other motors injectors and left the other motors plugs in for now. I am going to swap the plugs shortly to new ones , before i tune of coarse to be safe ...

The bolt ons are all the same as they were except that i did not re-use my UR crank pulley, and i have now installed a competition stage 2 clutch and flywheel ....

The car still feels like it did but I did not drive it for 2 weeks so I am not sure ...

Do you think it is necessary to get it re-tuned asap ?? I eventually will get it on their dyno to see the a/f , etc... but does anyone in there think it could be completely thrown out of whack ????

I'm guessing yes, but they said i should be okay but wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at it...

I am still breaking in my clutch and working on my first oil in this new"old" motor and on its first new batch of oil , so I am going to wait until at least after the break in, a fresh oil change, and some new plugs are in there but if you guys think it should be g2g ill save my money for a little longer before i go and check it out ....

I'm very curious to see what comes of this though, because my other motor was a very strong DE and i am curious to see what this new one gives me compared to my old motor ...

Last edited by ChuckD05; 08-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
*Boose*

Has a compression test on the new motor been done? Also how did the last motor go? Before you go and get a tune I'd replace the plugs, oil again, filters, etc. Why go the cheap route and not already do this makes no sense?

Last edited by *Boose*; 08-08-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tecnosquare does a ECU flash without ever seeing the motor. As far as they are concerned one motor is the same as another.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 AM
ChuckD05

no , no compression test on new motor... it came from a reputable engine source i did not ask for them to check the compression, they may of and not told me though... The other motor went due to Oil Consumption Issues that got out of hand, eventually it got really bad to the point where quarts of oil would be gone in a matter of 400-500 miles ... It eventually began to knock and some time later took a turn for the worse and began to sound like pots and pans were dangling in my engine . And what cheap route are you speaking of, all motors get shipped with no oil in them, theres brand new Motul Synthetic in there right now, the plugs were fine when they pulled them, but i will change them anyway, the shop builds Zs that most will drool over and there mechanic said the plugs were fine, but I'm not cheap, lol, and I am going to change them myself anyway. Keep in mind i needed my car back and i dropped my car off at 1 PM Thursday, my engine was back in with new clutch and flywheel by 10am the following day, AC back opperating, hood intact and ready to be picked up by 1pm Friday, only 24 hours later when they close at 6.... Car runs like a dream right now im just curious about the tune, but i hope that answers your questions about my "cheap route" .

i am def going to replace the plugs and oil like i said. the Air filter is a brand new aem filter with under 2000 miles on it, still new so thats all good....

technosquares mail in re flash to me is a little out dated. always a good idea to tune on the dyno....

any other opinions?

Last edited by ChuckD05; 08-08-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckD05

technosquares mail in reflash to me is a little out dated. always a good idea to tune on the dyno....
I said the same thing once and got berated by a SCCA national champion with 30 years of tuning experience. Br careful.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:37 AM
ChuckD05

Originally Posted by davidv
I said the same thing once and got berated by a SCCA national champion with 30 years of tuning experience. Br careful.
lol... thanks for the heads up, but i just done foresee how one can fully tune the car properly without repeated runs on the dyno monitoring A/F and fuel parameters in their system .... I'm sure its a step up from no tune, but if you lived next store to TS you cant tell me you wouldn't advise to go in there for a dyno tune with your car on their dyno instead of just bringing your ECU in there.

Last edited by ChuckD05; 08-08-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 PM
ChuckD05

any other opinions... do you think my tune is still g2g ?????
Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

When my friend swap out his motor on S2000, ( stock to stock ) he didn't retune the car. But he sold it after couple months tho. I don't see any heavy mods on your car, if your car runs fine now, wouldn't worry too much about retune it yet. But It's just my two cents tho.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Big Woo

This is off topic for the thread, but not the contents.

Quote:
Yep you must be right, what could I have possibly learned in the past twenty plus years building engines for and working with CART, IRL, IMSA, SCCA, and world of Outlaws teams. It must be all in my head, even the changes in throttle responce, must be figments of my imagination. You continue on with your efforts to be yada, yada, yada!

davidv:
A little off on the 30 years, and not a SCCA champion, just someone who has worked in motorsports for most of my life, and mostly in engine development (hard parts not tuning). I would agree to the berating part, and in hindsight I was wrong to do so, therefore I apologize. In defense it was my first post on this site and objected to the tone that was set, thin I know but I try not to deal in ambiguity.