Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

how important is it that i get a newer z that has the wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
snake123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how important is it that i get a newer z that has the wideband?

how important is it that i get a newer z that has the stock wideband? I was thinking about getting a 2003 350z but they dont have the wideband. I was thinking I would like to do a turbo in the far future.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

don't qoute me but i don't think it would be much of a problem. There are alot of 03 z's on this site that are turbo'd pushing high hp numbers.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Considering that 350Zs have significant differences such as motors, narrow band - wide band sensors is way down the list of important features.

Last edited by davidv; 02-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The stock widebands are not adequate for FI. They just don't read rich enough accurately. There are other issues (transmission comes to mind) that you may want to look into.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

oh lord, hraes is unbanned, may the newb slaying begin. you guys have been waaaayyy too generous so far.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Suck him off some more why dont you.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on FI, you should plan on aftermarket widebands regardless of which year you purchase - so it is a non-issue. The only time I would give weight to the oem-wideband issue is people wishing to stay NA and wanting to do a reflash e-tune.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesnt matter, thats not something to be concerned with ...wow what a question..
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
If you plan on FI, you should plan on aftermarket widebands regardless of which year you purchase - so it is a non-issue. The only time I would give weight to the oem-wideband issue is people wishing to stay NA and wanting to do a reflash e-tune.
Uprev wouldn't be able to reflash an 03 without a wideband?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rich2342
Uprev wouldn't be able to reflash an 03 without a wideband?
There is no problem reflashing an 03, but when Etuning, consider the quality of a narrowband log vs wideband. A reflash dynotune would not have this problem, as the dyno will have a wideband to use while tuning.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no problem reflashing an 03, but when Etuning, consider the quality of a narrowband log vs wideband. A reflash dynotune would not have this problem, as the dyno will have a wideband to use while tuning.
Understood..

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
lanceccs

My ride is 03 NA and is still on narrowband.

If I am getting it dyno tuned *tuner has wideband*, should I still replace the narrowband with wideband sensors? I know it won't make any diff when tuning as the tuner will be using the dyno/wideband, but will it make any diff when the tune is completed and its running off the tuned ECU and reading from the narrowband?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ No, that is not necessary. Also, it is not as easy as just replacing the sensors for widebands... it is wiring harness and ecu too.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
lanceccs

^ No, that is not necessary. Also, it is not as easy as just replacing the sensors for widebands... it is wiring harness and ecu too.
If I am using Haltech ECU, would the wideband sensors from haltech be plug n play then? Will there still be any harness or ecu complication?

If I choose to stay on narrowband for now after dyno tuning the haltech ecu with tuner's wideband, and subsequent I decide to put in the haltech wideband, do I require a retune or is it PnP?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ You should have mentioned you were on standalone before... The Haltech Wideband controller kit (including sensors) is a complete addon including the sensor(s), wiring, and controller. You can have the car tuned without and add at a later date - but I would advise you add everything first and then visit your tuner.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
lanceccs

Thanks for your advise.

I am looking at your website for the haltech 2x wideband and 1x guage going for 349.

Shouldn't there be 2 guages to see the readings from the 2 wideband? With only 1 guage there, is a button to switch the readings between the right and left wideband?

http://www.injectedperformance.com/e....aspx?ID=10518

^ You should have mentioned you were on standalone before... The Haltech Wideband controller kit (including sensors) is a complete addon including the sensor(s), wiring, and controller. You can have the car tuned without and add at a later date - but I would advise you add everything first and then visit your tuner.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ An additional gauge can be ordered, but the reality is no one can watch and analyze two wideband readings, tach, street, etc all at once. The dual widebands are best used for two things: haltech bank-specific fuel trims, and tuning. When tuning - you will have the ECU manager open displaying/logging both wideband readings, so again you don't need dual gauges. A switch can easily be configured to toggle between which sensor the gauge reads out if desired.

In the end, a pillar or console mounted gauge is best used as a quick check during a pull to ensure everything is still running proper, thus only requiring one gauge.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 AM
lanceccs

^ An additional gauge can be ordered, but the reality is no one can watch and analyze two wideband readings, tach, street, etc all at once. The dual widebands are best used for two things: haltech bank-specific fuel trims, and tuning. When tuning - you will have the ECU manager open displaying/logging both wideband readings, so again you don't need dual gauges. A switch can easily be configured to toggle between which sensor the gauge reads out if desired.

In the end, a pillar or console mounted gauge is best used as a quick check during a pull to ensure everything is still running proper, thus only requiring one gauge.

Thanks Hal! One more question if you don't mind.

I have Sprint Booster fitted (The one that amplify the throttle signal or something of that sort). Do you think it will interfere with the Haltech Dyno tune? Should it be taken off prioir to the tune? Should the tuner be aware that this item is fitted to the car?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ No, the sprint booster only effects the drive by wire system and accelerator position. This will not be a problem with the Haltech so long as you keep it consistent (tune with it installed, drive with it installed). If you decide to remove it, it will still be very close, but may be have very slight difference in the transient throttle.