Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

how urgant is it to tune??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
or what I said track times real world.
I'm not saying they're useless; they're not. However, unless you start your race in first gear or want the shorter gearing for track/autox, you're not getting better straight-line, multiple-gear acceleration
We can continue this, or you can hop off the merry-go-round of inanity for a moment and read what I said.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onagao
We can continue this, or you can hop off the merry-go-round of inanity for a moment and read what I said.
not sure what inanity is maybe a condition you suffer

So if I understand what your saying....If you race from a dig they are an advantage? If you autocross they are an advantage, if you road race they are an advantage? but if you race in a straight line from a roll they are a disadvantage?

Time to go back to your video games 98% of racing situations they are an advantage thanks for pointing out the 2% they are not. Even then I would say they keep you in the optimum power band so they improve times and unless YOU have actually tried a different gear set i would say YOU can't argue other wise.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP- a tune can only help, so I would definitely have that done before moving on to anything else.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
onagao

not sure what inanity is maybe a condition you suffer

So if I understand what your saying....If you race from a dig they are an advantage? If you autocross they are an advantage, if you road race they are an advantage? but if you race in a straight line from a roll they are a disadvantage?

Time to go back to your video games 98% of racing situations they are an advantage thanks for pointing out the 2% they are not. Even then I would say they keep you in the optimum power band so they improve times and unless YOU have actually tried a different gear set i would say YOU can't argue other wise.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of logic, reason, argumentative construction, and shorter final drive gearing as a mod for cars. Track and Drag racing are the ONLY reasons why purchasing a mod like this is justified. The drag racing advantage only comes in first gear, assuming you can keep traction. The track advantage only comes in the form of strategic gearing for a particular course.

Most people live with the misconception that a shorter final drive improves the overall acceleration by 10-15%. This is fundamentally incorrect. Driving the car after 1st gear (98% of what most people do with their car, since we're making up percentages here), the car will certainly *feel* quicker, but won't actually be. Each gear will accelerate more quickly than it did and by an amount around 10-15%, but the overall acceleration of the vehicle will not change. I'm not going to derail this conversation further. Either read the extensive research I've conducted in the form of calculations and simulations on the aforementioned thread, or stop talking about this.

This is not our thread.

Last edited by onagao; 03-17-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

This is not our thread.
Yet you keep replying and talking about all of your research on Forza II you win, now back to your video games...or maybe your mom needs her nails trimmed tonight. i picture you as a skinny pasty little white guy that lives in his moms basement and spends 100s of hours researching mods that he can afford to do anyway
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It needs a tune, it's running very lean.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
onagao

Yet you keep replying and talking about all of your research on Forza II you win, now back to your video games...or maybe your mom needs her nails trimmed tonight. i picture you as a skinny pasty little white guy that lives in his moms basement and spends 100s of hours researching mods that he can afford to do anyway
None of what I documented in great detail in the other thread had anything to do with video games. And please do excuse me for actually researching potential modifications so that I have an understanding of what they do to my car before dumping thousands of dollars into them.

... Stop trolling.

Last edited by onagao; 03-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

... I know this is almost certainly going to be too hard for you, but stop trolling.
Another jab if you wanted me to stop you quit throwing your lame little jabs. PS look up the def of trolling, you are the one that started the trolling gear boy I laughed at you suggesting video games as a credible source of mod researching and said I see real world gains from a gear swap your the one that went from there but if you think your video games are still an accurate method or research clearly you are doing research over my head, anyway I have an actual engine that I have to use wrenches (not keyboards) that i have to go work on tonight you win

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-17-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 PM
onagao

Another jab if you wanted me to stop you quit throwing your lame little jabs. PS look up the def of trolling, you are the one that started the trolling gear boy I laughed at you suggesting video games as a credible source of mod researching and said I see real world gains from a gear swap your the one that went from there but if you think your video games are still an accurate method or research clearly you are doing research over my head, anyway I have an actual engine that I have to use wrenches (not keyboards) that i have to go work on tonight you win
Yes. Once again, you focus on the brief and inconsequential mentioning of a racing simulator as a "poor man's test", clearly distinguished as different than the testing I actually performed - far easier to focus on that than to actually consider what I said. The depth of your ignorance baffles me.

How's that engine of yours running these days, by the way?

Last edited by onagao; 03-17-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

The depth of your ignorance baffles me.
It dosent take much to baffle you by the sound of things.

Y

How's that engine of yours running these days, by the way?
Very strong actually over 600whp on pump gas installing some new cooling mods and then maybe go for some big power on race gas, thank you for asking

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-17-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

or what I said track times real world.
Depends on the track.

Stop it now, and get this thread back OT. Deliberate over it in the dedicated thread. I suggest you start reading onagao's view of it here through the end: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...talled-30.html

I won't take sides on the argument in this thread so that it stays on topic, but I've read through all the pages of the dedicated thread as I prepare to make my own decision.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
armintheman

come on guys lets not get away from my post! ok so get it tuned first then move to wheels. so am i still in a danger zone if im shifting before 4k rpm? i thought running lean at full throttle is harmfull or at high rpm...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
onagao

Originally Posted by armintheman
come on guys lets not get away from my post! ok so get it tuned first then move to wheels. so am i still in a danger zone if im shifting before 4k rpm? i thought running lean at full throttle is harmfull or at high rpm...
I really wouldn't worry about it too much; it's not like you're driving a time bomb or anything. With the mods you're running, you are most likely running lean and in need of a tune, but not to the point where it's going to destroy your engine. As long as you're easy on the car and aren't going WOT everywhere, you can rest assured that no harm will come to it.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
gabez33

yeah your not driving a time bomb, but my rec is a tune over wheels for sure. let me also put it like this, you know those few glorious days where your car seems to drive great and pull hard and well in every gear? Well a tune makes that day, everyday
Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Cheap solution: https://my350z.com/forum/engine/4793...ml#post8227860
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM
athenG

awesome man thanks! but even if im running lean if im not really pushing the car i think it should be ok for another month...what do you think? also did you get it dynotuned or just got the preloaded tune from uprev?
You mentioned you hardly go above 4500rpm and you dont push your car right.. If you are not going to push your car then you should be ok for awhile. A tune is a must but if you are mainly cruising then you should be ok because you will always stay in close loop. Only when you WOT that you will go to open loop. Close Loop use 02 feedback so you should be ok. complete your perfomance mod and get a tune....