Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

how urgant is it to tune??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM
armintheman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow how urgant is it to tune??

so if im running the following mods how soon should i tune the car? am i endangering the car right now with stock tune or am i ok a tune will just make it better?
My mods:
jwt intake
kinetix upper plenum
tb bypass
mrev2
underdrive pulleys
grounding kit
hks exhaust

im trying to see if i should get my wheels right now or tune first. i dont race my car i rarely get the rpm past 4500-5000 so thats why i ask if its urgent.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just get a tune when you're done with power mods.

NA modifications like yours won't hurt without a tune. A tune will just help you make better use of your mods.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the latter.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 AM
gabez33

I would get a tune if i was you, who knows how your factory crap tune came and now you opened up the engine significantly, i bet your running pretty lean. I had your breather mods basically and decided to get a tune over tires(uprev tune) and thank god my afr was 14.5-15! now am running at a cool 13.0 and my car thanks me for it, runs like a champ. A tune is the best NA mod next to gears for the Z
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should definitely get a tune first. Your car is almost certainly running lean with those mods on a stock tune. Mine was running at about 14.4 AFR with almost that same setup before I got my tune.

A tune is the best NA mod next to gears for the Z
Gears only make a difference in straight line performance when starting in first gear. Afterward, the increased acceleration is offset by the shortened gear length in comparison to stock gearing. Gears, in my opinion, are one of the most misunderstood mods on the market.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Urgant
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
armintheman

awesome man thanks! but even if im running lean if im not really pushing the car i think it should be ok for another month...what do you think? also did you get it dynotuned or just got the preloaded tune from uprev?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Never get a tune.. Its worthless..
Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Unique_Z33

I vote tune! You bring your car to a shop that has experience tuning with Osiris. Tell them to do work! This equals a smile on your face as well as your Z's.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by onagao
You should definitely get a tune first. Your car is almost certainly running lean with those mods on a stock tune. Mine was running at about 14.4 AFR with almost that same setup before I got my tune.

Gears only make a difference in straight line performance when starting in first gear. Afterward, the increased acceleration is offset by the shortened gear length in comparison to stock gearing. Gears, in my opinion, are one of the most misunderstood mods on the market.
I understand gearing completly, thnx i still believe gears and tune are the best NA mods for the Z
Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like your completely misunderstanding gears sir.

Last edited by 0jiggy0; 03-17-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Brrcats

If you're planning more power mods, I would complete those first before getting a tune
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Complete the mods and then get a tune. You will love it!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by armintheman
awesome man thanks! but even if im running lean if im not really pushing the car i think it should be ok for another month...what do you think? also did you get it dynotuned or just got the preloaded tune from uprev?
I got a dyno tune, but the preload from uprev are excellent, those guys are top notch with the VQ
Old 03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
It sounds like your completely misunderstanding gears sir.
While I don't want to derail this conversation, I can tell you that I most certainly am not misunderstanding them. I have done numerous simulations and calculations comparing the stock gearing with final drive swapped gearing in the process of deciding whether or not it would be worth my money. Putting it simply, while you get a greater torque multiplication comparatively for each gear, and thus each gear accelerates more quickly, the end result is ultimately nullified if you start a race after first gear due to the fact that the geared car must shift to a higher gear (less torque multiplication) 10-15% sooner than stock gearing. While the geared car moves on to a gear putting less torque to the ground, the stock gearing remains in that previous gear, putting more torque to the wheels. Look at my graphs, charts, and what not in the latter portion of the 4.08 gearing sticky for a more thorough explanation, if you're interested.

If you want a poor-man's confirmation of this, pop in Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo and test it out for yourself. Or grab a computer simulation program such as Cartest if you want to spend more time on it.

I'm not saying they're useless; they're not. However, unless you start your race in first gear or want the shorter gearing for track/autox, you're not getting better straight-line, multiple-gear acceleration. Each gear is quicker, yes. But the fact that each gear is equivalently shorter negates this positive effect. This isn't some retarded, misguided opinion. This is a conclusion based upon unbiased mathematical calculation.

/hijacking thread

Last edited by onagao; 03-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
350ztttt

While I don't want to derail this conversation, I can tell you that I most certainly am not misunderstanding them. I have done numerous simulations and calculations comparing the stock gearing with final drive swapped gearing in the process of deciding whether or not it would be worth my money. Putting it simply, while you get a greater torque multiplication comparatively for each gear, and thus each gear accelerates more quickly, the end result is ultimately nullified if you start a race after first gear due to the fact that the geared car must shift to a higher gear (less torque multiplication) 10-15% sooner than stock gearing. While the geared car moves on to a gear putting less torque to the ground, the stock gearing remains in that previous gear, putting more torque to the wheels. Look at my graphs, charts, and what not in the latter portion of the 4.08 gearing sticky for a more thorough explanation, if you're interested.

If you want a poor-man's confirmation of this, pop in Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo and test it out for yourself. Or grab a computer simulation program such as Cartest if you want to spend more time on it.

I'm not saying they're useless; they're not. However, unless you start your race in first gear or want the shorter gearing for track/autox, you're not getting better straight-line, multiple-gear acceleration. Each gear is quicker, yes. But the fact that each gear is equivalently shorter negates this positive effect. This isn't some retarded, misguided opinion. This is a conclusion based upon unbiased mathematical calculation.

/hijacking thread
That post was win.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by 350ztttt
That post was win.

+1 I base all mods purchases off of video game simulators. Gears have been proven a good mod for NA cars in real track situations/track times and most people are more concerned about that than video game racing . Put down the keyboard and get in the real world.

OP I had similar NA mods to you and I was running a little lean but it was nothing to worry about.

PS out of anyone here listen to the guys @ Z1 they are on top of the NA game.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-17-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
+1 I base all mods purchases off of video game simulators. Gears have been proven a good mod for NA cars in real track situations/track times and most people are more concerned about that than video game racing I had similar NA mods to you and I was running a little lean but it was nothing to worry about.

PS out of anyone here listen to the guys @ Z1 they are on top of the NA game.
And the guys at Z1 haven't denied anything I just stated. Again, what I expressed was a mathematical conclusion based upon hours of calculation and numerous simulations. I guess it's easier to focus on the video game reference than to actually think about what I said, though.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-17-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

And the guys at Z1 haven't denied anything I just stated. Again, what I expressed was a mathematical conclusion based upon hours of calculation and numerous simulations. I guess it's easier to focus on the video game reference than to actually think about what I said, though.

or what I said track times real world.

Quick Reply: how urgant is it to tune??