Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AccessPORT does not support real-time tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would bet they believed the same things I did. I swear when you read that manual your led to believe it does RTT. I'm pretty upset that it doesnt.

If I lived somewhere warmer I probably would have been making a post about why arent my changes taking effect.

Why in the manual does it tell you to enter a command to initiate RTT?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uuugh.... I don't consider myself to be illiterate and take pride in being good with my hands and love to work on my car...... but I need a tune bad. Please verify the following for me guys:

-AP: you have to reflash every change during your tuning and then reflash the final map
-Osirus: you can make changes while on the dyno in real time with out reflashing every change. Then when everything is finalized reflash ONCE and your done.
-Reflashing many times hurts the ECM/ECU??? or are people just annoyed at how long the reflash takes...

Again there are 4 threads up today (3/19/10) about the COBB AP and I just read through them and thats where I am at..... I'm about to buy a haltech for my '08 from injected and then I won't have to buy it when I go F/I.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

MOAR information.....
Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blck350z
uuugh.... I don't consider myself to be illiterate and take pride in being good with my hands and love to work on my car...... but I need a tune bad. Please verify the following for me guys:

-AP: you have to reflash every change during your tuning and then reflash the final map
-Osirus: you can make changes while on the dyno in real time with out reflashing every change. Then when everything is finalized reflash ONCE and your done.
-Reflashing many times hurts the ECM/ECU??? or are people just annoyed at how long the reflash takes...

Again there are 4 threads up today (3/19/10) about the COBB AP and I just read through them and thats where I am at..... I'm about to buy a haltech for my '08 from injected and then I won't have to buy it when I go F/I.
You seem to have a good grasp on the differences now like me finally.
Yes reflashing too many times can negatively effect the ecu, from what I read. The time to reflash is not horrible but if you need to do it everytime to see if X change is better for the tune. Suck. Then the possibility to have a issue during reflash freeze up etc. just got more likely.

I will say this though, I am a guy that believes in street tuning vs dyno. The importance of RTT capability if your letting a shop dyno tune your 350z drops dramaticly, not really a big deal then to me.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:54 PM
niZam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how accurate is street tuning? I've done it but not with logged data. How does it compare to a dyno tune?

I've always preferred a load dyno like the Mustangs over a dynojet.

The diminishing returns on RTT makes sense if your street tuning. Data log a few runs, then go tune and flash. Repeat.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by Blck350z

Osiris does offer some amount RTT by moving certain parameters from the on board flash memory to the ram. IIRC it's the total amount of available RAM onboard the OEM ECU, that limits any further parameters from being loaded for RTT (my reasoning could be mistaken).

I think the number of flashes the ECU can undergo is a limitation of the memory chips. They have a limited number of write cycles, before they can no longer reliably store data (probably similar to a USB stick).
Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 AM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by niZam
how accurate is street tuning? I've done it but not with logged data. How does it compare to a dyno tune?

I've always preferred a load dyno like the Mustangs over a dynojet.

The diminishing returns on RTT makes sense if your street tuning. Data log a few runs, then go tune and flash. Repeat.
Street tuning has worked fine for me so far. There is a little left on the table, but we are talking 3-5 hp(could be dyno error margin its so close) in my past experiences. I would street tune, then finally go to have a dyno tune and the tuners would always say you were just about dead on.

It is all fuel and timing, so although you have no way of seeing power curves, getting those close is all you need to make the tune safe. Setting these in the real world vs load dyno with big fan gives me the know that the afr is were I want it. I drive and run my car hard in the real world not a dyno. The big down side is if you want to have a smooth log to tune from you will need to break the speed limit to get it. I have this really nicely paved road here that is out in nowhere land.

See this is the importance of the RTT, I will be far from home in nowhere land and if I have to reflash all the time and something F's up, I am stuck with a nice tow bill. Use RTT get the tune close come back home and flash, live to log another day.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can understand what your talking about. Tuning the fuel was pretty simple in this car, The timing I only adjusted a few points so I'm not done yet.

But trying to properly calibrate the MAF for my intakes is taking some time, and the fact that I have to reflash at every step kinda sucks. Maybe Cobb can give us a real life time frame IF they plan on adding it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
I can understand what your talking about. Tuning the fuel was pretty simple in this car, The timing I only adjusted a few points so I'm not done yet.

But trying to properly calibrate the MAF for my intakes is taking some time, and the fact that I have to reflash at every step kinda sucks. Maybe Cobb can give us a real life time frame IF they plan on adding it.
Yeah adjusting LTFT's and having to reflash everytime will be a pain. Get them withing +/- 5 or so and leave them be. These numbers will always sway from time to time, given the climate you adjusted in. I try not to get to caught up with the LTFT adjustment part of the tune, but I do address them first. Again this is something I prefer to set on the street.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM
COBB Tuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot give you a timeframe for realtime tuning. At this time we only offer realtime tuning on the Subaru platforms. Each ECU is different and this is even more true for Nissans that have 10+ roms for each year of vehicle. Nissan likes to change things up, often. That said, if and when we do bring realtime tuning capability to the AccessPORT, we will do so as a seemless integration into the software and not as a kluge. Until something is working smoothly and as desired, we will not realease it. That said, we have no ETA or specific information to offer.

Travis
COBB Tuning