Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Idle air volume and reflash

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
BristishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle air volume and reflash

Well finally got the car runing well after the clutch and flywheel change, except for one small problem. The car idles at about 400 when hot and will die when driving if you let the rpms drop to quick. I have talked to several dealers and they say it just needs a reset of the ECU and the idle relearning. I have tried doing the relearn without a consult 2 and it doesnt seem to help. It idles fine when the car is cold, but as soon as it gets warm it dies all the time when dropping to idle. Would the light weight flywheel cause this and the fact that i had the battery unhooked for days cause this? i would hate to spend $100 bucks to fix nothing. Other than the idle, the car drives really well. so i cnt think there is anything else wrong with it. it has all the bolts ons like test pipes exhaust and plenumspacer with a cold air intake.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible that the ECU cant keep up with how fast the RPM's drop, it has to learn and adjust. Lower weight flywheel = less inertia/rotational mass, so you have alot less rotational mass keeping the engine turning, therefore lower RPM idle. I would assume the ECU would adjust for this.

Im not familiar with the flywheel in respects to our VQ per say, but i know your prob is very common with lightweight flywheels in general.

I dont understand how a reflash comes into play here.... did you get a reflash tune after installing the clutch/flywheel? Tuner can set idle RPM via tuning software.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 06-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:14 PM
BristishZ

Well I was wanting to take it to fail safe performance in Tulsa about an hour away. That would be the same as getting the ecu reset. I would rather do that just don't have the money yet. I have talked to dealers today and they have said it's what it sounds like. If you have the battery unhooked for a long time it can cause this. I was just wondering whether other people have experianced this after installing a light weight flywheel
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Z PHAT Z

I got the same problem when my car was out for a long time waiting for the engine to be built. I did tried the idle relearn stuff and it didn't help, reset ecu..blah..blah and no luck. So I sent my ecu out to get reflashed to raise the idle up and it been ok since.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
BristishZ

I drove the car today and it seemed a little better. It was really trying to stay running when ever I down shifted and let in the clutch at about 1k rpms. It would really struggel and sometimes stay running but other times just die. It will idle now but at like 400 rpms I'm pretty dang sure it just needs a tune and the idle turned up, maybe to like 800 rpm or so. Other than that the car drives really well, very responsive and much faster acceleration
Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
karletto66

For ONLY idle rpm you don't need a "full" tune, Cipher soft&cable alone is able to raise it.
Only as a "note"...