Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

stand alone or piggy back??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Exemption

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stand alone or piggy back??

im searching the forums as we speak for an answer to this question.

Im planning to go FI next year but as of now i plan to stay NA with full bolt ons.

Should i piggy back or get a standalone ecu?

which would benefit most on NA for now
Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Neither -- Osiris.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Tricky-Ricky

Although i would agree that Osiris is probably a good choice for basic N/A mods and low boost application's, if you are going to run a built engine with serious boost, i would go for a stand alone management, as the std knock control is not very good, and so as i have seen Osiris cannot re program knock control?
also i am reliably informed that it in fact doesn't listen after certain RPM in open loop, which would worry me should you encounter some bad fuel, most decent stand alone's have very comprehensive knock handling, and a lager map grid for all parameters.

Last edited by Tricky-Ricky; 07-17-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky
Although i would agree that Osiris is probably a good choice for basic N/A mods and low boost application's, if you are going to run a built engine with serious boost, i would go for a stand alone management, as the std knock control is not very good, and so as i have seen Osiris cannot re program knock control?
also i am reliably informed that it in fact doesn't listen after certain RPM in open loop, which would worry me should you encounter some bad fuel, most decent stand alone's have very comprehensive knock handling, and a lager map grid for all parameters.
You can extend knock control all the way to redline. That isn't an issue... if he plans to make more than 500whp down the road it might make sense to go with a standalone... but the extra cost and caveats of going that route wouldn't make sense unless big time FI was in his near future. For N/A and stock block F/I nothing beats Osiris in terms of feel and price point.

Last edited by djamps; 07-17-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

For normal NA upgrades, uprev is the easiest solution / best fit. It can also be made to work with mild forced induction. The best solution for forced induction is most definitely a standalone due to more precise/reliable tuning and safety features (such as overboost protection on a turbo setup) that the stock computer is not capable of.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Exemption

Ok Thx for all the help guys. Ya the plan is a mild boost from super charging. I would assume that the stand alone would be a lot easier. However if osirus gives the best results for the Mula I shall read on !!!! Need to find an uprev spot
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Exemption
Ok Thx for all the help guys. Ya the plan is a mild boost from super charging. I would assume that the stand alone would be a lot easier. However if osirus gives the best results for the Mula I shall read on !!!! Need to find an uprev spot
Standalone would not be simpler than uprev. Nothing is simpler than Uprev, which is basically just plug into the diag. port and start tuning. No parts to install, no wires to splice, nothing.

Since you're plans are for SC which isn't prone to overboosting like turbos, the features of a full standalone are way overkill. Just get Uprev'd from an Uprev pro-tuner shop and call it a day.

Last edited by djamps; 07-18-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Tricky-Ricky

Originally Posted by djamps
You can extend knock control all the way to redline. That isn't an issue....
Really! is this a recent development on the part of Up-rev? the tuners i have spoken to have always complained that this was an issue when wanting to go FI.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, what are your power goals? Are you going to track the car or just play in traffic?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky
Really! is this a recent development on the part of Up-rev? the tuners i have spoken to have always complained that this was an issue when wanting to go FI.
not sure how long ago it was added, but you can log knock as well. To be honest anyone relying 100% on knock control is pushing the limits too much as it is. Even with (the old) 5k cutoff for knock control, a bad tank of gas or other mechanical issue will trigger the knock map far before 5k... the VQ knocks mostly in the 3-4k range. Not as much above 5k unless you've got a very serious issue.

Last edited by djamps; 07-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd spend the time and energy researching who will tune it over what they are tuning it with

Either can be made to work very, very well...or can be an absolute nightmare. It's all the hands of the person punching the keys
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Tricky-Ricky

Originally Posted by djamps
not sure how long ago it was added, but you can log knock as well. To be honest anyone relying 100% on knock control is pushing the limits too much as it is. Even with (the old) 5k cutoff for knock control, a bad tank of gas or other mechanical issue will trigger the knock map far before 5k... the VQ knocks mostly in the 3-4k range. Not as much above 5k unless you've got a very serious issue.
Thats good to know and while in theory i agree with you, i would still rather have some decent knock control/fail safes when running higher boost in FI application's, no matter what the motor, or how well set up in the first place, it only takes a slightly clogged injector, or ott charge temps, or high EGTs to give rise to a bit of knock, and the intelligent knock control of the better ECUs like Syvecs and similar, can save a motor, as the danger area on a high boost motor is WOT as well as peak torque, IMEX most serious FI problems/failure's take place at high RPM and WOT.

Last edited by Tricky-Ricky; 07-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
djamps

Obviously nobody is recommending Osiris for big boost as it lacks more comprehensive F/I failsafes -- but still nothing that can't be added externally (J&S, ect). Anything over 500whp is standalone time in my opinion. There just isn't enough resolution in the boost areas.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Exemption

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'd spend the time and energy researching who will tune it over what they are tuning it with

Either can be made to work very, very well...or can be an absolute nightmare. It's all the hands of the person punching the keys
i completely agree.

@Ruthless18x for show and some play in traffic. I go to a raceway near my city just do have some fun with friends on quarter miles. Few years down the road though the car will be tracking at laguna seca for some fun.