Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

looking for a simple breakdown of osiris

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM
TurTLe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a simple breakdown of osiris

I finally got my HFC and its time to start looking into tuning.

Obviously Osiris is the way to go, that is the given.

From what i read so far on this board and other boards. We have a local tuning shop that is authorize tuner for uprev stuff. Shop is GRD, in villa park, IL. They sell you the license for about $500 and they you pay for a dyno tune at a discounted price. You get a much better tune then a simple/generic E-tune obviously but you dont get the cable to use cypher. This is because they use their own tuner cable that has like 20 licenses on it. I pay $500 and don't get cypher.

Now i look on uprev's site and I can buy the standard version for $500 and the tuner version for $700, if i wanted to do my own tuning. I dont want to nor know how to. But if i buy the standard for $500, i get the license, 3 free etunes and cypher. If i wanted to go get a dyno tune, would they be able to tune for me if i had the standard version or do i need the tuner for a shop to tune me.

That is my main question.

I also heard, if I pick up a standard now I can always upgrade to the tuner version later for $200.
We can have a total of 5 different maps. Say I wanted a 93octane tune, a valet mode ( rev limter set like at 3k and 35mph max) and fuel economy tune. Would that be my 3 etunes or 1 because the valet and fuel tunes are pretty simple and quick.

Is there support for the 2nd gen sedans and FX yet? This might be traded in down the line.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Czarrr

In for info.
I too would like to know the "All I Need To Know" things about Osiris FAQ class.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice. I need the same info.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time that I checked, there was a guy selling the Osiris Tuner cable in the Private Marketplace for $600. Also, check with our vendors in the Vendor Marketplace because sometimes they have deals on the Tuner version. I bought the Osiris Tuner cable for $100 more than I would have paid for the Standard version - just because the $100 more was worth it to have some flexibility for the future. Now, I'm learning to tune my own car.

If you have the Tuner version you can:

- have a copy of your ROM files to look at and work with yourself (to learn)
- easily change from one shop/tuner to another since you have the cable & tune files (without a start from scratch approach)
- have one of the maps for "playing" and not touch the dyno tune maps that you paid for
- see the before and after of exactly what you paid your tuner to provide (if you aren't satisfied, discuss it with others on here to make sure you got what you paid for)

Without the tuner version you can't do those things

I looked at it as paying %20 more to have twice the capability. I'm also biased, because I would love to have more people participating in our DIY Osiris tuning thread (https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/5188...ing-101-a.html ).

Also, if you're planning on having the car dyno tuned, the included e-tunes really don't have any value for you. It's not like you're going to invest in a full dyno tune and then later decide to only use e-tunes. That's because it takes a dyno tune to get the power out of your timing and other areas that an e-tune can't target.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 08-21-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 AM
TurTLe

i'm not into tuning it at all by myself. lack of time and interested. A couple years back i had the time and interest and attempted to tune via emanage on my SR20DE-T. That didn't go too well. So i scrapped it.

Obviously a dyno tune> etunes.

This is my thought method. Right now get the standard with 3 etunes. Use that for the year or so. If i feel the need or want for more HP, i'll look into getting it dyno tuned to see if i can get more peak or power under the curve.

Right now the standard is $500 with the 3 etunes. From what i heard/understand, it shouldn't cost anything for a shop to do a custom dyno tune (other then me paying the shop for their time). Thats all i really need to know. Because 1 guy mentioned for me to run a shop's tune, i have to upgrade to tuner version for $200 more and then pay for dyno.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^Turtle, the $200 upgrade to tuner version would only be required if your tuning shop is not an Uprev Pro tuner, because they would have no way to access the tuning portion.

Also, for what it's worth... Friday we had a customer drive in for an Uprev retune. He was currently running on an etune for his 06 350Z. It was overly rich (11.5afr NA), and overly advanced to the point it had slight knock. We ended at 248whp, up from 233whp on his etune after dyno tuning fuel, ignition and intake/exhaust cam timing.

Dyno comparison:

Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting. Keep us updated on how GRD does if you decide to go through with them. My Z's currently at their shop right now to get a few minor things worked on.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:20 AM
jmahad01

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Also, if you're planning on having the car dyno tuned, the included e-tunes really don't have any value for you. It's not like you're going to invest in a full dyno tune and then later decide to only use e-tunes. That's because it takes a dyno tune to get the power out of your timing and other areas that an e-tune can't target.
Good point.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I tried, twice, to get an appointment with GRD.. They took my calls, and told me to email someone for a tune appt; then never responded to my emails.

That's my tune by Hal above.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 AM
TurTLe

Originally Posted by thekinn
I tried, twice, to get an appointment with GRD.. They took my calls, and told me to email someone for a tune appt; then never responded to my emails.

That's my tune by Hal above.
Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Interesting. Keep us updated on how GRD does if you decide to go through with them. My Z's currently at their shop right now to get a few minor things worked on.
they are one busy *** shop. I guess its a good thing. I'm not sure how many tech they have but I think they only have one tuner and at times he is busy working on cars as well.

Thanks hal for the info.

Good to know, it will only cost me dyno time. With your given example, would you say its better to have an e-tune or not. I mainly have a 5/16 spacer (which doesn't really need a tune) and a HFC, combine i think a tune is needed. I would add more stuff but rarely anything fits on a G35x, in terms of proven, lower priced, bang for the buck mods.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Get a tune after you've done all the bolt-on mods you want to do. Otherwise, you'll need another tune down the line.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM
TurTLe

there isn't much i can/want to. which is a good and bad thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Get a tune after you've done all the bolt-on mods you want to do. Otherwise, you'll need another tune down the line.
it is smart to do your tune after all your bolt ons, but im buying what money lets me ATM, so if it took a year 1/2 to get all my bolt ons, would i ever be running to rich? for example, ive had my z for a year and some change. ive got headers, test pipes, intake, and a plenum spacer, my exhaust will come soon, then i'll have to wait a few months to do cams... what i'm saying is, if i'm running really rich could it be dangerous sometimes to wait till after ALL bolt ons are finished?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

The ECU makes minor corrections anyway so you will be fine without a tune. Once you do cams, which I doubt you'll do as most people only talk about it and never actually go through with it, you'll want a tune for sure.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry, there is no "danger to manifold" doing bolt ons without a tune - you're just leaving a lot of performance at the table without a tune to compensate for your changes. To avoid wasting money, you'll be best off getting a tune after you're 100% finished with bolt ons versus retuning each time.

Also, like 350 said above, most don't go through the cost and labor of cams unless they're also going to upgrade their other internals as well.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 08-24-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Don't worry, there is no "danger to manifold" doing bolt ons
I chuckled.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
RandyK1

I went to ProjectX a few weeks ago to get a shopping list for my spring Vortech install. They told me that If I pay the $500 at the Dyno I will get the tune but no cable, they said it is better for me to buy the $500 UPREV myself. That way I get the cable so I can still do e tunes if I want until I make it to the Dyno next spring. I can also turn off caution lights and check codes if I have the cable. It was a no brainer, I just ordered UPREV last night
Old 09-17-2011, 10:13 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get ahold of Vince at R/T Tuning he can do E-tunes better than uprev themselves and doesn't make you wait.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
TurTLe

Originally Posted by RandyK1
I went to ProjectX a few weeks ago to get a shopping list for my spring Vortech install. They told me that If I pay the $500 at the Dyno I will get the tune but no cable, they said it is better for me to buy the $500 UPREV myself. That way I get the cable so I can still do e tunes if I want until I make it to the Dyno next spring. I can also turn off caution lights and check codes if I have the cable. It was a no brainer, I just ordered UPREV last night
SEE that is exactly the info i wanted. But now i'm half and half on UPREV or UNICHIP. Only reason being its easier to remove and put on another car or sell. Unichip is add on piggyback, costing $5-700. similiar gains can be achieved, GRD is a tuner. If i sell/crash the car, i can remove this easily and sell for $3-400 on the spot or put in next car. UPREV, well you can but its a hassle and plus you need to find a nissan owner and they have to pay like 100$ to register it and blah blah. I'm still a couple mods away from tuning, so i'm still doing homework on this stuff.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurTLe
SEE that is exactly the info i wanted. But now i'm half and half on UPREV or UNICHIP. Only reason being its easier to remove and put on another car or sell. Unichip is add on piggyback, costing $5-700. similiar gains can be achieved, GRD is a tuner. If i sell/crash the car, i can remove this easily and sell for $3-400 on the spot or put in next car. UPREV, well you can but its a hassle and plus you need to find a nissan owner and they have to pay like 100$ to register it and blah blah. I'm still a couple mods away from tuning, so i'm still doing homework on this stuff.
^^^ If you have an Osiris standard and flash your vehicle the License is on the ECU. If you crash your car, as long as you have access to it you can reflash the ECU back to stock and put the license back on the cable. Then you can sell the cable, there is no extra licensing fee or anything.

Quick Reply: looking for a simple breakdown of osiris