Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Do I need to get tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
mike_eee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need to get tuned?

Hello Folks. I am going to have these bolt-on's installed on my Rev -up 35th aniv Z ...do you think I can get away with out an uprev tune and wait till I get more bolt-on's or should i to get it...whats ur take?

Existing Mods

Injen SRI

XO2 Exhaust

Mods that's pending to be installed this month

5/16 spacer
Mrev 2

JWT oil Spacer

ART v1 PIPES

not related mods

Hotchkis Sways

Arc Strut bar

Powder coated top plenum.
I tend to collect all parts and do all the install in one shot..Now all these parts in boxes is taking up space in garage..need to install this month
Attached Thumbnails Do I need to get tuned?-dsc06926.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Trigo_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ounce you have the Mrev2 , 5/16th , ART pipes on , you should get a Tune
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

ive been running full bolt ons for about 4 months now and i've been fine..
Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 PM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trigo_
Ounce you have the Mrev2 , 5/16th , ART pipes on , you should get a Tune
This.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Viksz33

Just make sure you buy all the bolt ons you plan on getting before the tune.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
mike_eee

Originally Posted by Viksz33
Just make sure you buy all the bolt ons you plan on getting before the tune.

I have all the bolt -ons in my garage..I just need to go to ZCG and do the job.

is there any other bolt-on I am missing? I wont do headers now. How abt any pulleys? etc..Once I got FI (vortech supercharged) I will go with JWT flywheel and clutch.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK see you after the list is installed not going to have.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get all your breathing boltons (exhaust/intake related), then tune it. (Minus the headers, cost/labor vs gains makes it difficult to justify doing) Pulleys are parasitic gains, free's up lost parasitic power. I could be wrong but I don't think a tune will be effected by it much if at all.

Last edited by JERZ350; 12-13-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by JERZ350
Get all your breathing boltons (exhaust/intake related), then tune it. (Minus the headers, cost/labor vs gains makes it difficult to justify doing) Pulleys are parasitic gains, free's up lost parasitic power. I could be wrong but I don't think a tune will be effected by it much if at all.
This.

The only benefit I could even imagine you getting from a tune AFTER pulleys would be to smooth the power out a little more.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

look at all the replies. haha

OP, you can use a tune on a STOCK 350z.

AND for the others... all your bolt ons that have no tune running them are NOT making you any useable power, period, period, period, end of story.

at WOT at the highest rpm possible, you may see a touch of gain because its all out at that point.. but the losses you suffer at every other point are amazing, and everyone wants to act like its the elephant in the room... its so crazy to me, it really is.
Your car with test pipes, planum spacer, intake and exhaust is not really any faster than a bone stock Z.. it just feels different as you ruin the AFR readings, curves, and expected torque of the car. ( blah blah, im not going to get real technical or wtch my words, so please dont argue them here either. im just sayin)
You need a tune to take advantage of those mods, period.

Why am i always the only one who will admit to this?

BUY A TUNE.. or continue searching until more ppl tell you its not necessary.

Last edited by bmccann101; 12-13-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

HR's especially with mods pick up a ton of power with a reflash. I'm not going to link any articles because I don't think they have any of our sponsors in them... But search around and see what I'm talking about.

And with the headers, leave them oem unless you want to fork out for long tubes. Those are the worst to install, but IMHO sound focking epic.

Do all your lil bolt on's and get a reflash! I'd go to a place with a dyno just to see how much you pick up. Plenty of shops here in California can do that for you (osiris tune).
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
mike_eee

Originally Posted by bmccann101

AND for the others... all your bolt ons that have no tune running them are NOT making you any useable power, period, period, period, end of story.

at WOT at the highest rpm possible, you may see a touch of gain because its all out at that point.. but the losses you suffer at every other point are amazing, and everyone wants to act like its the elephant in the room... its so crazy to me, it really is.
Your car with test pipes, planum spacer, intake and exhaust is not really any faster than a bone stock Z.. it just feels different as you ruin the AFR readings, curves, and expected torque of the car. ( blah blah, im not going to get real technical or wtch my words, so please dont argue them here either. im just sayin)

Thanks All, I am going to go with UPREV tune then Will be contact Z car garage soon for an appointment..now is there anything else I should buy or forgot as bolt-on to add power? headers out of question..anything else?

Last edited by mike_eee; 12-13-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you for intake mods, but with other mods there are gains to be had without tuning (especially test pipes) assuming you're pig rich from the factory like most VQ's. Not saying you shouldn't get tuned (not getting tuned after a slew of bolt on's is retarded at best) but to say there are zero actual gains to be had without a tune is plain wrong.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
nathanwl2004

its true, in many cases you will actually lose power over time without a tune. the ecu was programmed with not only minimum target values but maximum ones as well in order to keep emmisions in check and such. in other words the ecu was designed with a sort of "sweet spot" where all of the values read by it's hundreds of sensor are within a limited range of accepted values. if you throw bolt-ons on the car it often times screws with these values and confuses the car. in an effort to bring these values back to normal it will often adjust other parameters. everyone would like to think that if you add more air through an intake the car will respond with more fuel and therefore more power but this is often not the case. often times it will actual pull values rather than add them and attempt to bring the car back into "normal operating condition".

by tuning the car you redefine for the computer what it's "normal operating condition" should look like. this is the only way you will ultimately gain any appreciable power and not have a car is constantly cheating it's self out of power or running like poo.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
SE5spd

just an FYI once you contact rob itll be about 3 weeks before you are in there actually getting tuned
Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
its true, in many cases you will actually lose power over time without a tune. the ecu was programmed with not only minimum target values but maximum ones as well in order to keep emmisions in check and such. in other words the ecu was designed with a sort of "sweet spot" where all of the values read by it's hundreds of sensor are within a limited range of accepted values. if you throw bolt-ons on the car it often times screws with these values and confuses the car. in an effort to bring these values back to normal it will often adjust other parameters. everyone would like to think that if you add more air through an intake the car will respond with more fuel and therefore more power but this is often not the case. often times it will actual pull values rather than add them and attempt to bring the car back into "normal operating condition".

by tuning the car you redefine for the computer what it's "normal operating condition" should look like. this is the only way you will ultimately gain any appreciable power and not have a car is constantly cheating it's self out of power or running like poo.
I understand what you're attempting to get at, but honestly your post has very little technical credibility and sounds mostly like your just rambling on without much 1st hand knowledge. Have you actually tuned an OEM Z33 ECU via Uprev or similar?

Last edited by djamps; 12-14-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 AM
LJ.Z

So true!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Eno

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
ive been running full bolt ons for about 4 months now and i've been fine..
Pray tell... what exactly does "been fine" mean?

I look through your list of mods and do a rough estimation of the money dumped into them... "been fine" isn't exactly the result I would want.

The car "comes alive" with the tune. When I had mine done on full bolt ons- it wasn't exactly like I'd installed an FI option or anything... but it trims out so many different aspects of your car designed to accommodate the soccer mums and retirees that want to have a sporty car.

Sure, you can be "just fine," or you can get some money's worth from your mods. It's tough to substantiate the money- then again for many it's tough to substantiate the substantive cost in mods. Clearly you have your head around why we spend money on mods... so the tune is a no brainer.

Uprev is a great option... but like with any other tuning option you have to make sure you take it to someone who knows the software.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have found that it is different from ECU to ECU depending on how bad you will need a tune. HR's seem to do really well with bolt ons and no tune as the ECU's are more adaptive. here is a post from another forum we are on showing the benefits of a tune on a 2005 350z. He was running with all the common bolt ons on this vehicle for a few months and the ECU just never seemed to adapt...

Another 350z tuned today. Not a record breaking or even a F/I car. Just a 2005 350z with all the popular bolt on's. You can see how poorly the car was running and all the retarded timing and knock control being applied. Customer was complaining of some excessive oil consumption and other driveability issues since all the mods were put on and before the tune. Got the vehicle up to spec and dialed it in with an UPREV tune