Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

When tune is needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile When tune is needed.

Im sorry if this is a repost, and I searched for about 40 min and could not find anything. I installed a SRs catback exhaust. Nothing else is done to the car, yet. When would you guys recommend I get the car tuned? What I mean by that is if I can run the exhaust and plenlum spacer( in the future) without a tune, or is it recommended to tune once a spacer is installed?

Thanks guys! ( again sorry if repost)

( I wasnt sure if this should go in the Tune section or the Exhaust section so MODS please move if I messed it up TNX)

Last edited by Z33Garage; 03-10-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: ninja edit
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get gains after inserting the plenum spacer, so worth a tune. If you've got more mods planned, perhaps wait until you're done before tuning if the cost is an issue.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Bober'z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^+1 if you have more mods planned, I would make the tune one of the last so you can get the most out of everything else you already put on
Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
You can get gains after inserting the plenum spacer, so worth a tune. If you've got more mods planned, perhaps wait until you're done before tuning if the cost is an issue.
Thanks for the response. Well I don't know when I will have money for the next mod. I'm very strapped ( till my Fiance is out of school). For now I'm just on the lookout for used parts (spacers, plenlum, res-testpipes). I got the exhaust used and so far its great, but I have no idea how much wiggle room the ECU has for mods before a tune is needed. Also I don't know how much tunes usually cost( like Osirus).
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by Bober'z
^+1 if you have more mods planned, I would make the tune one of the last so you can get the most out of everything else you already put on
Yeah I just don't want the ECU to start messing up because of the mods. I wanted to see how much wiggle room the ECU has when it comes to staying stable with mods, before a tune is needed.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

WIGGLE ROOM? stable?

the ecu will try to return everything to factory parameters in a very short period of time regardless of what mods you do.

Tune is neccessary on a STOCK 350z, let alone any mods.. if you search for when to tune a 350z for 40 minutes.. im curious what your search terms were, its a repost of a thousand reposts.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Suwaidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest getting a tune after you're done with all your planned mods for a period of time. The cost will be the Osiris license + tune time on the dyne (varies from tuner to tuner). If you get your car tuned now, and you install a bolt-on in let's say two months, you MIGHT want to get a re-tune, which would add $ since it requires some time on the dyno.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by bmccann101
WIGGLE ROOM? stable?

the ecu will try to return everything to factory parameters in a very short period of time regardless of what mods you do.

Tune is neccessary on a STOCK 350z, let alone any mods.. if you search for when to tune a 350z for 40 minutes.. im curious what your search terms were, its a repost of a thousand reposts.

I may be wrong but isnt "factory parameters" a range in which the ECU can tune the cars various components? My question is about clarifying if a catback is going to cause the ECU to flip its S%@# OR if it can alter the way the car performs without needing a tune. I browsed through some of the articles in the "tuning section"( KEY TERM IS BROWSE). I havent been able to find a exact answer to "my situational" question. Hence why I posted. I searched terms such as " tune with exhaust", "when a tune is needed" etc both on google and forums. The answers were inconclusive.

I am new to the Z, but not new to cars, so where can I read about your claim ( or Z people known fact) that the stock Z needs a tune? ( im guessing you knew mine was an 05 perf manual that needs it)

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
I would suggest getting a tune after you're done with all your planned mods for a period of time. The cost will be the Osiris license + tune time on the dyne (varies from tuner to tuner). If you get your car tuned now, and you install a bolt-on in let's say two months, you MIGHT want to get a re-tune, which would add $ since it requires some time on the dyno.
I see, I guess since a tune runs from 500-600 dollars +200 for possible retune, I will wait on the other mods and just work on cosmetic aspects of the Z ( spacers, Drop, wheels etc)

Thanks guys for the help, and for not flaming.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Just buy a cobb ap used n skip the dyno.. if ur on a budget try to find one versus an Osiris and a full dyno tune
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Z33Garage

Just buy a cobb ap used n skip the dyno.. if ur on a budget try to find one versus an Osiris and a full dyno tune
Thank you, I think this will be my route.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Hard to find but be patient..ull find one.. I was FAR MORE than happy w the results of mine..
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Z33Garage

Hard to find but be patient..ull find one.. I was FAR MORE than happy w the results of mine..
I will start lurking the net to find one THX
Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically,a tune will get the best out of the mods you do to your car.
A good tune is not cheap---500-700 bucks.Of course,if you have the expertise to buy& use a coob ap,thats not a bad approach.IMO,you have not done enough to your car
to warrant a tune(cost effective).Even with a plenum spacer(I would assume you have a CAI?),this may not be enough.Now,if you get into test pipes &headers(headers are a waste of $$),you may want to get a tune.Honestly,alot of guys get a tune so they can get a printed graph of before&after.Makes e'm feel good plus lighter in their wallet.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll be fine with basic mods, some things won't give you any gains after it's learned it's way around the mod, hence the retune requirement.

However, unless you're messing with a pop charger or something, it'll not hurt the car.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Last april I had my intake/spacer/headers/test pipes put on. then in october i had my exhaust put on and just got my car tuned last night

not the smartest thing in the world... but you will be fine.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Please read the Top 100 FAQ:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

https://my350z.com/forum/2487452-post8.html

Q: I got an intake, exhaust, headers, plenum spacer, and/or other mods. Do I need a reflash / tune?

A: Most people *will* benefit from either a reflash or tuning, even if you are lightly modded. THE BEST OPTION IS TO FINISH ALL OF YOUR BOLT-ON MODS BEFORE GETTING TUNED!!

The best way to get a tune is to purchase an engine management system and take it to a reputable tuner. There are several options. The most popular option is the TurboXS UTEC. The UTEC seems to have the most powerful combination of features for the money. The Greddy Emanage Ultimate, for example, is another good option for air/fuel tuning, but it does not have good over timing. Your best bang for your buck when tuning is usually going to be a reflash, but reflashes do not have nearly the customizability as the UTEC.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Please read the Top 100 FAQ:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

https://my350z.com/forum/2487452-post8.html

Q: I got an intake, exhaust, headers, plenum spacer, and/or other mods. Do I need a reflash / tune?

A: Most people *will* benefit from either a reflash or tuning, even if you are lightly modded. THE BEST OPTION IS TO FINISH ALL OF YOUR BOLT-ON MODS BEFORE GETTING TUNED!!

The best way to get a tune is to purchase an engine management system and take it to a reputable tuner. There are several options. The most popular option is the TurboXS UTEC. The UTEC seems to have the most powerful combination of features for the money. The Greddy Emanage Ultimate, for example, is another good option for air/fuel tuning, but it does not have good over timing. Your best bang for your buck when tuning is usually going to be a reflash, but reflashes do not have nearly the customizability as the UTEC.
Yes I read this, and its like I said inconclusive. That is a general description of when to tune the ecu. I just have an exhaust so it doesn't apply to my case 100%, nor does it mention anything about what "benefits" one can expect to see. I am not really posting this to ask fpr benefits, I just don't want my ecu to do something stupid because I have mods on. I have dell with ecu issues on other cars where just due to headers the ecu auto set the bank 1 to rich and bank 2 to lean. Lots of headaches I'm trying to avoid. Don't mistake my post for one of these " help I crashed my car on thanksgiving" threads. I need actual answers not generic guides to keep people from posting. Thanks though
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by go7roo7
Im sorry if this is a repost, and I searched for about 40 min and could not find anything. I installed a SRs catback exhaust. Nothing else is done to the car, yet. When would you guys recommend I get the car tuned? What I mean by that is if I can run the exhaust and plenlum spacer( in the future) without a tune, or is it recommended to tune once a spacer is installed?

Thanks guys! ( again sorry if repost)

( I wasnt sure if this should go in the Tune section or the Exhaust section so MODS please move if I messed it up TNX)
Originally Posted by go7roo7
Yes I read this, and its like I said inconclusive. That is a general description of when to tune the ecu. I just have an exhaust so it doesn't apply to my case 100%, nor does it mention anything about what "benefits" one can expect to see. I am not really posting this to ask fpr benefits, I just don't want my ecu to do something stupid because I have mods on. I have dell with ecu issues on other cars where just due to headers the ecu auto set the bank 1 to rich and bank 2 to lean. Lots of headaches I'm trying to avoid. Don't mistake my post for one of these " help I crashed my car on thanksgiving" threads. I need actual answers not generic guides to keep people from posting. Thanks though
I'm not a mind reader....

If you're looking for tuning benefits you can read this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html

or even here:

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/2490...ct-please.html

I answered your question as you originally asked it regarding when you should tune