Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Variable Intake/Exhaust Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
TunerMax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Variable Intake/Exhaust Tuning

Some searching didn't give me much in this regard.

My car since Test pipes has had a misfire/pulse sound from the exhaust, 2 times while Tuning with Haltech I had a "0011 and 0021" code for the Intake Valve actuators being over-advanced.
These codes are coupled with O2 sensor codes - High Voltage. I don't think this is actually wiring related, but rather possibly a very lean condition that doesn't match what the engine expects to see.

To clarify, this misfire seems most prominant at 2400 RPM, load or no load doesn't matter. Intermittent rough idle happens with the Stock computer every once in a while.
Everything but the rough idle happens with JUST stock computer hooked up, OR with Haltech PB hooked up, doesn't matter, the issue remains.

So my thinking is that this could be related to the Intake Valve actuators, but before i do that testing with the Haltech, I wanted to know what you guys have done with the Valve actuator maps?

here's the Base-tune Intake map:

Old 09-02-2012, 05:24 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never known a cam advance to cause any misfires. Something else is going on. With the haltech a lot of people get the cam codes only because haltech changes the cam angles and it pisses off the oem ecu. Other than a code it does nothing. Some of us are lucky and don't get the code.

I would look at other areas. Injectors, fuel, vac leaks, etc to find what the issue with the misfire is.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM
binder

also, o2 sensor codes happen from the test pipes and don't mean anything as well. You can get 18mm spark plug non-foulers and put them on the rear o2 sensors and that will stop throwing those codes. I did that for the longest time then after I switched over to a turbo system the o2 codes just went away completely.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 AM
TunerMax

Thanks Jeff. The O2 codes are not from the test pipes unfortunately, they're for the Primaries. I've got non-foulers in the rear (secondaries).
Whatever the deal is with the Cam advance codes it's directly related to the O2 sensor code or vise-versa. They trigger at the same time, with the O2 sensors being pending.

Hmmmm so the stock computer/haltech are having a disagreement eh... that sucks but it's good to know! I tried setting the Haltech to 0 and got the same code (intake over advanced) shortly after, so that makes sense that it's more of a glitch I guess, maybe I'll throw it at Matt @ Haltech and see if there's something I can do about it.

Either way, yo'ure 100% right dude, this mis-fire/hiccup isn't from those valves I don't think, cutting them to '0' made no difference, but it was nice to be able to troubleshoot with the Haltech on that one.

Oh well the hunt continues, there's a bunch of stuff it could be, but it's so random and intermittent it's tough to track down. Checking plugs and Compression, then Fuel pressure check is next I think.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I say it's an electrical issue. Intermittent steady misfire is typically caused by loose pins or shorts on connections. No amount of cam advancement or retard should cause that.

The upper o2 codes are also a problem because when those codes are thrown you lose cam advance -- it's a semi-limp mode.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM
TunerMax

^Thanks dude. Yeah one time it went into limp mode hard on me I thought the engine was going to pop, that's kind of what spawned this whole thing.

I find it odd that it only does it under a semi-certain load point, and mostly around 2800 RPM while accelerating. it's like there's one 'glitch' in a MAP or something where things just calf out for an instant.

I agree with the likelyhood of electronics being at play, most intermittent things are, I think it's the fact that it only does it intermittently at one or two points that is most strange and makes me wonder about something else.

Fuel pressure is next on the hit list, need to figure out what I have to pick up to gauge it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What do your exhaust cam tables look like?

There may be some sort of default in the stock PCM to limit intake action based on exhaust valve actions, since you said you had them at 0 and you still had the same problem.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
TunerMax

int/ex both set to 0 no diff. though the haltech maps variable exhaust, i didnt know this engine had that.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TunerMax
int/ex both set to 0 no diff. though the haltech maps variable exhaust, i didnt know this engine had that.
Sorry, was thinking HR

What oil are you using? I noticed when I switched to a heavier oil, I would get strange camshaft actuation until the motor warmed up fully. Again on an HR, but they are sensative to it, and it was right around that rpm range. You could hear the car swinging the cams all the way out and back when I was just driving normally, usually right after pulling out of the parking lot. Once the car warmed up at all it went away though.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
TunerMax

Strange.
I'm just running dino 5w30 for a couple more miles, wanted to change the oil after some rich-tuning runs so I put cheap stuff in.
Swapping back to Synthetic 10w30 in a couple days.

I'm starting to wonder if my particular issue could be due to a lack of timing (timing is retarded), but it seems somewhat unlikely. It's on the list of things to check, the list is too big though, lol.

either way, i'm putting in some more diagnosis this weekend, including Oil pressure and temp gauge/sensor installs, compression test, plug inspection. Going to check for a fuel pressure gauge kit as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 AM
binder

Too low of timing will cause just as many problems as too high. The only weird part about that is you said it does it while cruising as well and if you have the map set to "C" (copy through) on the vac map then you have no control over that timing and it shouldn't have any issues.

I had huge misfire problems when I set my timing too low with my base map for e85. Once the timing started coming up all my misfires on the dyno went away. That only applied to the boost portion of the map though. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the cam timing. I know the codes are considered "normal" with haltech but there are a few of us that don't get the cam codes. They don't affect the function at all so I would just put it at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM
TunerMax

My thoughts as well about timing. The only way it could resonably be that is if the MREV, ztube, baffless intake, test pipes and LWFW would actually cause that big of a necessary difference in tuning that it could cause an intermittent issue, which I find extremely unlikely.

On a side note, this issue has kind of disappeared, but I've been driving just normal cruising, no hard driving. It seems to like to lean-idle after a hot-run which seem strange.

Also, I haven't tuned with the Haltech since this started really, and was over-fuelling during tuning. Wonder if it could be as simple as some fouled O2's that have cleared up.

I'll know that if this issue pops back up because I jut did some more purposefully rich tuning today.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 AM
TunerMax

I'm also trying to figure something out, and I'm unable to check it properly because my base maps aren't set properly because of these issues.

The question is how timing effects AFR if the initial ratio is the same (14.7). Retarding the timing gives less burn time which you'd think would equal Richer AFRs, but if the mixture isn't combusting fully, couldn't this actually show LEAN AFR's because the fuel isn't fully mixed with the Oxygen, hence, excess Oxygen in the exhaust?

I know Mis-fires traditionally read Lean for that reason, but we're talking about a cylinder actually firing, so I dunno how to gauge this. It's more somthing I just want to know