Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Accidental UpRev map-switch with 6MT stall ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Accidental UpRev map-switch with 6MT stall ???

Just happened to me about an hour ago. I was lost and ended up boxed in this small parking lot bunch of speed bumps and construction crap. Anyway, I was all pissed and not paying attention, so I accidentally stalled the car. I quickly re-started it and got going and immediately the car started bogging down; lots of noise from the exhaust (Bhlap-Bhlap-Bhlap!!!) and the strong burnt-odor (clutch-gas-who-know-what). It all sounded pretty bad, so I pulled over to the side as soon as I could, shut it down and looked below the car and in the engine bay. Nothing exploded or burning.

Started it again and tried to roll a few feet and it does the same ishhh. I'm having bad thoughts at this point. Then I think of the map-switching, as the car seemed to be cutting out at 2.5-3K rpm. I immediately flipped to the stock-map and gave it some gas in neutral...all sounds good! I then switched to my tune-map and gave it some gas. Good too!...I drove home for 20+ minuets with no problems.

So it looks like me stalling the car caused the car to switch to my valet-map. I'm 100% sure I did not manually switch it (my #3 map) in the process of stalling/re-starting.

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Anything I should do at this point / be concerned about?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This isn't 'expected' behavior. I'm guessing the active map could have gotten corrupted some how. Switching maps reloads the map into RAM memory from ROM -- kind of like rebooting. I'd check all your grounds and make sure nothing is loose or damaged under the car.

Originally Posted by jv350z
Just happened to me about an hour ago. I was lost and ended up boxed in this small parking lot bunch of speed bumps and construction crap. Anyway, I was all pissed and not paying attention, so I accidentally stalled the car. I quickly re-started it and got going and immediately the car started bogging down; lots of noise from the exhaust (Bhlap-Bhlap-Bhlap!!!) and the strong burnt-odor (clutch-gas-who-know-what). It all sounded pretty bad, so I pulled over to the side as soon as I could, shut it down and looked below the car and in the engine bay. Nothing exploded or burning.

Started it again and tried to roll a few feet and it does the same ishhh. I'm having bad thoughts at this point. Then I think of the map-switching, as the car seemed to be cutting out at 2.5-3K rpm. I immediately flipped to the stock-map and gave it some gas in neutral...all sounds good! I then switched to my tune-map and gave it some gas. Good too!...I drove home for 20+ minuets with no problems.

So it looks like me stalling the car caused the car to switch to my valet-map. I'm 100% sure I did not manually switch it (my #3 map) in the process of stalling/re-starting.

Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Anything I should do at this point / be concerned about?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
This isn't 'expected' behavior. I'm guessing the active map could have gotten corrupted some how. Switching maps reloads the map into RAM memory from ROM -- kind of like rebooting. I'd check all your grounds and make sure nothing is loose or damaged under the car.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.

I did notice my diff-bushing bleeding, which explains the bounciness I had noticed lately. good thing I looked.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Killing the engine then restarting immediately could have flooded the cylinders causing a misfire. After enough burned off the plugs the misfire could have corrected itself.