Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

anyone been tuned at GRD near chicago

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 AM
TurTLe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone been tuned at GRD near chicago

I'm considering getting my car tuned there. Its N/A mild bolt-ons (rev-up intake box, MD 5/16, HFC, Y-pipe) not sure if anything else is worth my money. I'm a DE motor.

Seems like their inhouse tuner is someone by the name of Andrew.

Couldnt pull up anything thru google.

Just wanted to hear reviews on this guy before he gets a chance to put hands on my car

Last edited by TurTLe; 11-27-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know andrew but Tuan was the tuner when I went. The guys working there were really nice but Tuan blew my head gaskets on my build engine and the shop didn't pay for it.

i drove 6 hours, got a hotel, they started tuning my car and took all day. He had problems keeping it idling and said something was wrong with my car (even though it was the same engine that was perfectly tuned over at injected performance the previous year).

After not finishing the tune the shop was closing so he said he couldn't finish it. He said he set it "conservative" and it was safe to drive home. This was on a vortech with built engine and heads. Very simple to tune a vortech.

So I took the car and on the way home got into boost (because I was told the car was safe) and instantly the head gasket blew. When I checked the maps he had timing set to 28* on just 93 octane. To me that's not safe. I had to call my parents to bring my truck trailer up and tow my car home. The shop denied everything even though I have the map with 28* timing and the logs showing it was at 28* timing when the head gasket blew.

After fixing the car myself I took it to injected and Hal tuned it perfectly. So I asked the shop to at least pay for the parts to fix my car. I would have liked the money I spent on my tune back but I didn't wan to be greedy. They stopped answering my calls and wouldn't answer my emails.

So , Irfan and Tuan from GRD are bad people and I would never let them even touch my crappy work truck.

Go to Sound performance. You get what you pay for. Mistakes happen and I understand that but I expect decent shops to own up to the problem they caused.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Old Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurTLe
I'm considering getting my car tuned there. Its N/A mild bolt-ons (rev-up intake box, MD 5/16, HFC, Y-pipe) not sure if anything else is worth my money. I'm a DE motor.

Seems like their inhouse tuner is someone by the name of Andrew.

Couldnt pull up anything thru google.

Just wanted to hear reviews on this guy before he gets a chance to put hands on my car
In 2008 I had them UPREV similar bolt-on's. Tuan was the tuner then. I had no issues from the tune, but they dinged my driver's side door during a cat-back install. I recently called them for an UPREV tune for my N2O and they never scheduled me or called back. I hear the shop has turned folks over as Irfan does not work there anymore I believe, and now sounds like Tuan may not be tuning. They also use a Dynapack which I always thought my numbers were inflated and now they focus on audi/VW and euros I hear.

In Chicago I suggest Project X Customs in Schaumburg. Ask for Eli or Larry. They rent dyno time from other providers with Dynojet\Dynamics in the area. High percentage of their work is 300\350\370z specific.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Lots of shops in the Chicago area: GRD, Sound Performance, AMS Performance, Project X Customs, CJ Motorsports..

No tuning experience at GRD but I get a few small things done there. I dealt with Keith and he provided me with great service and charged me a very reasonable price (for a shop that size, imo), all with great turn around time.

I also got a few wiring issues sorted out by Eli at Project X. It's a small shop but Eli will take care of you and their prices are good (but cheaper than most other shops). They tend to be the favorite amongst the Chicago locals because of history, price, and service.

With that being said, when it comes to tuning, I'd find somebody who you know for sure you can trust and is competent. Price and distance (all within reason, of course) shouldn't be main determining factors, imo.