Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev on a 03

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Lextech1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprev on a 03

So here's the deal. I've got a 03 Track z.
Motordyne 5/16ths plenum spacer
Invidia Gemini true dual exhaust
Injen CAI
Normal basic mods, and plan to get Motordyne ART pipes in the near future. I've read many threads stating with my current mods, I'm already running lean. Since I sometimes track my car and it sees sustained high RPM, I don't want it running stupid lean with the ART pipes installed.

So I am highly interested in uprev's tuning solution. Now, I know I cant data log without a wide band.Yet another drawback of the older Z's. Since I have the Invidia exhaust there's really no where to install a aftermarket wideband to measure both banks a/f. And the wide band setup is another 200 bucks.

So that leaves me with dyno tuning with a sniffer.
I live in Michigan, and I'm a solid 4 hrs away from a Uprev tuner in Chicago. Besides, dyno tyning and the drive to and from add considerable cost to tuning a mildly modded car. I'm not really willing to throw 800+ bucks (and a day of travel time) at tuning a NA bolt on car. To many other things to spend that kind of money on.

My question then is how good are the off the shelf tunes from Uprev? I assume at this point they have written hundreds of maps for vehicles with the same mods I have, so Uprev's got to have the base maps pretty close right? I know I wont be able to fine tune via e-tune, but how significant of a change is it from the preloaded off the shelf map to the fine tuned one? If it's close, that's good enough for me, and given the benefits of Uprev's software worth the 500 bucks. My car is not a dyno queen, nor a drag racer. Making the max numbers is not that big of a deal to me.I do however want the throttle response, and at least safe A/F ratio for my mods. A HP bump would be a plus as well.
Anyone gone this route? opinions?

Last edited by Lextech1; 03-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM
seymore4
Professional

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

It will be well worth it. IMO just removing the electronic throttle restriction is worth the $$.. plus you get access to cipher for all kinds of diagnostic functions, checking and clearing codes, etc. Also if you can get access to a dyno locally and just do a couple pulls you will be able to tweak the tune afterwards similar to an etune. Lots of places do dyno day specials for like $50-60
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 AM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty much wondering the same thing myself, except I only have the true dual exhaust with plenum spacer. The closest uprev facility is about 4-5 hours away, and they want 500 bucks. I'm probably going to get the osiris standard and use the mustang dyno at Street Tuned Motorsports around the corner from my house.
I'm only interested in running safe afrs, wide open throttle, and smooth idling. Any gains would be a bonus IMO.