Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Tuning and Elevation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 PM
bchalks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning and Elevation

Hey guys,

I have an 04 G35 with an intake and exhaust. Im planning on getting a spacer soon and ART pipes sometime in the future.

I want to get tuned in the near future but I am moving from Seattle to Denver in August and I'm not sure how the altitude change will effect my tune.

I'm driving down through California and then over to Colorado in the beginning of August and since there are a lot of reputable tuners there, I figured why not get tuned while I'm there.

My main question is, if I don't tune my car will the altitude change negatively effect my car (besides just being slower) and should I get a tune at sea level from a really good tuner? Or wait till I get to CO then tune it?

I'll still be making trips to the west coast, so my car will see all sorts of elevation changes. Any advice is appreciated
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 PM
jookyshank

Hey there, and pre-welcome to Colorado

I moved here with my '05 G coupe with uprev tune from Intec in Seattle 2 years ago...so way to stalk me! lol jk

You can feel the decrease in power up here in the 6000ft mark much less if you go cruising with us in the mountains 14K'rs an all.

I never had any "negative" effects aside from the lost step which was noticeable. I did however get a nice bump in MPG ...was avg around 27mpg on the power tune so that was neat.

Anyways, there are quite a few tuners around here with good reputations and will of course be able to adjust best for our altitude, MAC auto is the most expensive but the most professional/clean/no bs tuning shop I have EVER seen...PERIOD. You might start there.

also as many things the group around here is mostly facebook...Mile High Infiniti Car Club check em out...the guys are always willing to help
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,304 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Love me some colorado…

Are you running a aftermarket tuning device now? I would get to colorado, install your remaining mods then get a tuning device and have your car tuned here.

it wont hurt you to drive here with your sea level tune...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
bchalks

Thanks guys!

I was considering going with Shawn Church to tune my car because I've seen that he seems to be one of the better tuners around...But you guys think I should just wait until I'm in colorado to tune it?

I have already done some research on MAC autosport, and they were my top choice for getting a tune in CO
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,304 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I would do it locally - I don't know Shawn Church and I am sure he'd do a great job. But being local, I believe, would be the biggest advantage. MAC has a good reputation, I'm not sure who else to recommend though…

Are you on Colorado Nissan Owners Club (CONOC) or High Altitude Imports (HAI) - CONOC is pretty good HAI is mostly honda/acura guys...
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 AM
TopgunZ

Well that makes 3 of us that moved from Seattle to Denver. I just hit my 3 year mark a week ago.

There is another shop that Ive had tune my car. It is called Speed Image performance. There is a guy named Mo there that is good and also Kevin. Im positive they have the most experience on the VQ engine around. Everytime im there, there are like 4 Z's or G's in the shop plus Mo has owned both a Z and G and did some crazy stuff. They know the VQ better than anyone IMO.

He even tuned my twin charged Z off a utec and it never blew!!..lol.. I just had my Powerlab kit tuned by them also.

Id say 100% wait for altitude before you get tuned for it. Those shops at sea level cant similate altitude.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 PM
jookyshank

Gunz...hit up the Infiniti Mile High Car Club (yes I know it says infiniti, but it's a good group of VQ'ers in there ...that goes for all you Co folks! I am angling to trade/sell my G sedan for a Z soon so you won't be left out hehe
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM
TopgunZ

Jooky,

Just checked out the facebook site. I added it to my interests so hopefully ill get notifications of events. Looks like it would be fun.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:42 AM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jookyshank
Gunz...hit up the Infiniti Mile High Car Club (yes I know it says infiniti, but it's a good group of VQ'ers in there ...that goes for all you Co folks! I am angling to trade/sell my G sedan for a Z soon so you won't be left out hehe
You in the mile high club shank? Curious on the requirements for joining...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
jookyshank

Good stuff gunz and don't worry Seymore ...I'll give you the full "rundown" when you get here