Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Skilled Tuner Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a nifty tool, makes mine look elementary LOL. What's it written in? Any chance of getting an on-line version?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:17 AM
balaguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Your tool was the inspiration. It's written in hackish perl and wrapped in shell scripts and badly needs to be refactored. It's all command line right now and runs in my Win32 Cygwin env and uses gnuplot for the graphs. There are some small Perl modules that are needed for the statistics. I don't have a webserver and it's been ~10 yrs or so since I did any professional programming so I don't know what sort of free web services are out there to use. I'd be happy to get it up and running on the web if you have some suggestions on how to do that. I'd probably need to rewrite it in some server side scripting language though. Last time I did that sort of stuff I did it in Perl/Mason and Java/XML/JSP. Seems PHP is what everybody uses these days.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 PM
djamps

Perl is fine for web scripting, in fact I'm 'old school' and started with Perl so it's like a 2nd language to me. I've written plenty of pure-perl web apps, check out the CGI libs and if you need a webserver let me know and it's yours gratis (I own a hosting company). To tell you the truth, I think perl is far better suited for this kind of thing.

Last edited by djamps; 10-31-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 AM
balaguru

Awesome. Will contact you via pm/email.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:47 PM
joeb1983

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to completely disable the rear o2's via OSIRIS for troubleshooting and make it so the ECU doesn't even look for them. See if that makes any difference. That way it wont have the conflict between the primaries & secondaries. We will see...
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by joeb1983
I am going to completely disable the rear o2's via OSIRIS for troubleshooting and make it so the ECU doesn't even look for them. See if that makes any difference. That way it wont have the conflict between the primaries & secondaries. We will see...
U might still need to unplug them. AFAIK the only thing you can do in osiris is disable codes, not the actual sensors.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
joeb1983

Originally Posted by djamps
U might still need to unplug them. AFAIK the only thing you can do in osiris is disable codes, not the actual sensors.
Your right. My Osiris tuner/cable can only disable codes, but an Osiris protuner/cable can completely disable the sensors. Confirmed via 3 protuners. Already have the edited ROM. Just need to load and flash. I'll post the results.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and you are sure its not air temp or coolant temp trims playing a factor?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:14 PM
joeb1983

Pretty positive... I had some well know tuners take a look at my tune and they say it's fine. I was throwing the same codes after my headers install before the ecu was ever touched, calibrated and or flashed.

Last edited by joeb1983; 11-07-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
joeb1983

Flashed the new tune that completely disabled the rear o2's. Within 10 minutes of highway driving on the way to work the AFR's started richening up on bank 1 as usual with bank 2 following shortly after. After getting lunch the SES light came on again for P2a00. Has to be an exhaust leak. Don't think it's a intake leak as vac looks steady and fine and I'm not loosing boost. Taking it to the shop next week.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
balaguru

If your NBs are disabled and your WBs are reading rich, why are you getting a lean error? Something is missing.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:05 PM
joeb1983

After clearing learned fuel settings, AFR's are spot on at both cruise and idle. 14.7ish give or take +/- .2 here and there.

After throwing a few miles on such as 10 miles or so on the highway the cruise AFR's start to richen up. 14.3, 14.1, 13.9, 13.8 and it looks like the ecu is trying to hit target because it will start fluxing back and forth between 13.7 to 14.3.

Continuing to drive it will throw a p2a00 bank 1, sensor 1 "range/performance" first, then if left long enough a p2a03 bank2 sensor 1 "range/performance". So both primary oem wide-bands in the headers. I am assuming its making the ecu upset trying to hit targets and not doing so.

Never mentioned a lean condition to my knowledge and if I did I apologize. I gave the rear o2 delete ROM a try today on the way to work and it acted exactly as it did with them enabled. Someone mentioned my primaries where reading "rich" and my secondaries where reading "lean". As far as I know that's exactly how it should be as the cat is doing its job... I ruled out any possibility of pre & post cat sensor bickering.

So, I clear the code(s) and learned fuel settings and boom bam, 14.7. Then the cycle begins again...

I do not believe it to be a injector or an intake leak as it did this before when I was NA. New injectors, new gaskets and EVERYTHING intake wise was torqued to spec. No fluxing on vac and no loss in pressure in/on boost.

Like I said, I started throwing these exact 2 codes after my Stillen header install 2 years ago. Most likely where the problem is. I personally cant find an exhaust leak. No carbon marks with a inspection mirror and led light, no noise with a stethoscope, or smoke from my ghetto rigged party smoke machine leak detector...

Winter is coming so I may take her to an exhaust shop or my local Nissan dealership. They are pretty chill and reasonable. If not I will mess with it in the spring. Just trying to figure this out.

I understand most common causes are:

Air fuel ratio sensor itself (fine, both new oem's)
Fuel pressure (fine, direct reading gauge, new walbro)
Fuel injector (fine, new ID 725's)
Intake leaks (as far as I know fine ^)
Exhaust leaks (?????)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you gone back into uprev and set your AFR targets to say 15:1, or adjusted your fueling table and see if that makes the car run leaner?

Take away 10% fuel with leaner targets and see what happens
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 AM
djamps

You can't raise the target above 14.7 in uprev.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:03 PM
philthethrill

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

updates? i have the same exact problem to the T. reset afr runs good then starts to richen up
Old 09-27-2015, 02:23 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by philthethrill
updates? i have the same exact problem to the T. reset afr runs good then starts to richen up
https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/6067...over-time.html

I made a thread on the same subject(I wish I would have found this thread sooner). I put the NB o2's in the test pipes w/o an extender and it seems to have fixed the issue, just as Djamps as said many times.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:21 PM
philthethrill

i have arts, i recently pulled the motor and found a leak at the passenger side art. same side im having code. took head off and found cylinder 3 valves tight as hell and some cylinder scoring....
Old 10-10-2015, 11:50 AM
joranginous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running lean

Has anyone had the opposite happen? I need to do more research on my old logs after my Dyno tune to check afr from last year(i checked and they were good running 12.5 or so). I have tried changing my ignition timing, fuel compensation and target table to try and get my car to run more rich all season. I cleared learned fueling. It would hit proper afr on idle but during wot it would run mid to high 13's and the lowest I got to was 13.2-5 until a couple nights ago. I noticed my fuel correction was at 105-7% to hold idle afr. I raised my k value to 29100 until my idle correction was around 100. I re logged and everything ran great and I hit the target afr! but then I looked at the log tonight and the fuel correction and afr was all over during medium load acceleration. Has anyone had to readjust there k value once set on a stock setup. My car is stock with intake, arts, and tdx2. Also, since I updated and reflashed my ecu, map switching is not working??? Anyone having this issue recently. I just updated a couple days ago and reflashed. Could the lean issue be cause by an exhaust leak? My car is also due for plugs, would better spark change this. I would think poor spark would end up rich not lean?

Last edited by joranginous; 10-18-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Delete this, I want to put it in uprev 101
Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 PM
philthethrill

Originally Posted by MatthewBouchard
https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/6067...over-time.html

I made a thread on the same subject(I wish I would have found this thread sooner). I put the NB o2's in the test pipes w/o an extender and it seems to have fixed the issue, just as Djamps as said many times.
how would i do this with my arts? switch my narrow and wide bands?

Last edited by philthethrill; 10-16-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:14 AM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by philthethrill
how would i do this with my arts? switch my narrow and wide bands?
I didn't touch the wide band sensors in the headers. I have no experience with art pipes; however if you would like to try, you could just get 2 bungs welded into the art pipes and cap off the existing o2 sensor bung.

If you have cipher, you can just monitor the NB o2s and if the readings are stuck below .45 .

Last edited by MatthewBouchard; 10-17-2015 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Skilled Tuner Question?