Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any advice?

Hey guys..

I run a 2008 350Z VQ35HR -- Mods are : mishimoto air diversion plate (meh.. just mentioning it for cooling .. will ask about this in a minute)

Mishimoto 3" intake tubes to Factory airboxes with dual K&N Hi-flow airfilters.

Mods that actually make a difference:

Invidia Gemini True Dual Cat-Back Exhaust

Berk Technology High Flow Cats

So.. I was fortunate to get Vince to do one last "Etune" as he doesn't do them anymore and is busy with live events,..

So I just got my "Version 2" of the Tune.. After I sent in a 3rd Gear 2k - 7800 (to rev limiter) WOT Pull:
And the best 1500-5k in 4th Gear at 10 percent (super slow steady acceleration) I could muster.
Plus a 90 second Idle after fully warmed up.

I'm fairly clueless with the tuning.. I'm trying to learn.. just not quick enough to learn it in a week before Vince gets done.

So I'd like your advice (if any is warranted).

As I'm on Version 2 now.. he wants one more set of logs.

Do the "type" of log run(s) matter? I mean.. Just another idle, 3rd WOT and 4th slow pull, as before,.. and done?

I only ask to see if there is something else advantageous to log for final tweaks, etc? But I guess he'd tell me otherwise?

The car runs much more powerful.. night and day -- Could feel that from the first ROM file that was just a "guess" I suppose based on my mods..

Question :

Should I clear my fuel logs each time I go to do a data log? I DID clear them on the first flash.. but drove the car a day or two before I got the data logs done the first time and did *not* clear again before those logs.. Hope that doesn't make a huge difference.

Should I start clearing them in Cipher before my logs now? (I'm thinking yes, just don't want to screw with results).

I'd like best MPG for the 93 Octane I always run .. but Vince basically said you can't do any economy map... Though I read on here someone said your 93 map should be your best MPG + performance? That true?

Seems I'm running about 18mpg or so now with the tune.. Perhaps 23-24 avg prior.

Not a huge deal, if that's the norm, so be it.

I guess if no tips before I send in the same logs and am done with the tune.. at least you can, perhaps, advise me on this question.

My electric fan comes on at idle 100% of the time now, and never goes off until I start moving. It didn't do that before. If the temps are 50F out.. does it.. if they are 80F out.. does it.

Vince said he pushed the fan to kick on at 88C (190.4F) -- From the datalogs it "looks" like it comes on around 188F.. I know it will stay on at idle, and get down to 186.4F and just keep running ..

Think I should get this bumped to 89 or 90C? While I like my engine cooler,.. is it right to have my electric fan on high at idle 100 percent of the time? Even in just normal driving?

Figures , right,.. most detailed question is a few degree's on the fan -

But I'll link the Logs I sent Vince for the First tune (the way the car ran off his Ver1 ROM file that was just based off my mods not data).. if that helps anything?

3rd Gear WOT 2k-7.8k (Is 7700-7800 factory Revlimiter in HR?):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqgtbf1evr...0RPM-RUN-2.csv

4th Gear Slow Accel 2k-5k
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v550tlhoy1..._RPM_RUN_1.csv

60-90 Seconds Full Op Temp Idle:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oab9wje8i...RED_G_IDLE.csv

Thanks for any tips/help/advice,
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 AM
350zsunshinefl

don't mean to hijack but do the 3" mishimoto intake tubes make a difference?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
It will make a difference in sound.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM
npr350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waldo36 showed some good gains with a 3" intake, and some intake manifold changes. Some others have as well. If you going 3" you should just go bigger though. Because all the tuning involved.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
Yes,.. I've run my stock map and logged and then back to my tuned map and they do actually help a bit. I didn't expect them to frankly, got them mostly for looks and to help heat -- But since they are larger and keep the air cooler (to some level) they help. We aren't talking 20 hp, but a 1-2hp, sure.

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
It will make a difference in sound.
It does.. but I keep K&N High Flow filters on both my factory 2008 Airboxes because I believe it's the best setup short of perhaps a good long tube dual intake system,.. So the sound isn't really noticeably in cabin. It does remove the Air resonator on the Driver side intake tube which can't hurt.

I would imagine connecting these to some conical filters would make a difference, but conical filters already make a fairly large sound difference

Originally Posted by npr350z
Waldo36 showed some good gains with a 3" intake, and some intake manifold changes. Some others have as well. If you going 3" you should just go bigger though. Because all the tuning involved.
Well I just went with the company I thought had the best offering/quality product at the time (now) for intake tubes for the VQ35HR motor.. And I liked Mishimoto. Stock tubes, IIRC, are 2.75 (2 and 3/4") .. So these are a Quarter inch larger. I'm pleased with them.

These are actually a 370Z product,. They fit perfect on the 2008 350Z .. but I just noticed they were for the 370Z on the box.

They do require some cutting (which silicone is actually harder to cut than I imagined,.. with a dremel anyways ).

Last edited by Chromatic; 04-10-2014 at 09:45 PM.