Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

XEDE ecu: any updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM
max2000jp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by articfury
max,

It's interesting that you don't mention Al, the other "vendor." Shiv and Al know each other from the old WRX days. They have been having these heated discussions for a long time. That said, from my time on evom most people have put the blame for the ridiculous flame-wars squarely on the shoulders of Al. Then there is the whole Buschur Racing vs. Vishnu debate, which is mostly egged on by supporters from the two camps.

Before you speak about someone as if you know them, maybe you should meet him and talk to him yourself. He may stay in those arguments a little too long, but he also now is one of the most well known Evo tuners.

That said, Vishnu Racing, the company is a very good company. I have only heard of a few bad experiences buying from them, no more so than any other company. The products they produce are top-notch, a touch on the high price side, but they are usually worth every penny. On top of that, the dyno tuning days that Shiv travels out to and does across the country are a major selling point for me.

If I owned an Evo, I would have a hard time choosing between Vishnu and Buschur for a lot products.

Soooo, Shiv,

Any Updates? Got an FI Z at the shop yet?

D
I know Al eggs him on, but come on GROW UP. If his product does what he says , it will sell itself. You don't need to have flame wars going back and forth about this and that. State the FACTS once, and let it be. This isn't junior high. The way both handle themselves are very poor and shows a lack of knowledge in the world of business. You don't see Bill Ford and Bob Lutz arguing it out like fools. I would only buy Buschur parts because he is very humble and honest. Both might be great tuners, but lack something called CLASS.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:50 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Dave eggs Shiv on too. I once thought he wouldn't get involved.

Truthfully, I think that site has just gotten out of control. The mods should have shut Al down a long time ago when he first started all his chest pounding bs. They exercise little to no control over that site. You know Vic and the others wouldn't put up with that here. When people post all the stuff they do about several of the different vendors, buschur included, you can't help but expect them to respond if the mods aren't going to control it.

D
Old 02-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

klease guys please...lets not rehash what goes on on other boards..its bad enough to read every other post about it there!

The Shiv vs Al feud has been going on foreve and a day....both are frankly to much of an egoist to admit the other offers a valuable product, and as a result, I feel it dumbs down an otherwise productive board.

As for 60 pulls being overkill I would respectfully disagree. What was said above about the product being beta tested is the key here....60 pulls is nothing in tems of seeing how the stock ecu reacts to the various manipulations one is trying to make with the puggyback unit. For that matter, 60 pulls on a reflashed ecu, again to log and extract as much data as possible at different load points and different throttle positions, is not too many either.

What I am more interested in knowing is how the same car dynoes, say 4 weeks after the Xede install. Will it be comparable to what it was on day 1, or will the stock ecu overwrite what changes were made. Same holds true for the reflash....yes its maps physically hold, but does the car make the same power as it previously did over the course of time....to me, thats one of the kore important considerations of any of the fuel mgmt. options.

Adam
Old 02-06-2004, 08:12 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by max2000jp
If his product does what he says , it will sell itself.
This is the most false statement I have read online that I can recall at this moment. There are tons of ways to tune a car. If you do not stand up for it and speak out about it, your product will fall by the wayside and be forgotten about in a hurry especially in the early stages of its existence. And then, even if it does become known about, by keeping silent or by avoiding defense to criticism, you cannot differentiate your product from the others. If you cannot prove why people should by your stuff instead of other stuff, you're not going to sell any stuff. This holds true for ECU tuning to haircuts to condoms. Advertising is important. While it is true that no amount of marketing can save a bad product, a lack of marketing will limit the potential of a great product.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
This is the most false statement I have read online that I can recall at this moment. There are tons of ways to tune a car. If you do not stand up for it and speak out about it, your product will fall by the wayside and be forgotten about in a hurry especially in the early stages of its existence. And then, even if it does become known about, by keeping silent or by avoiding defense to criticism, you cannot differentiate your product from the others. If you cannot prove why people should by your stuff instead of other stuff, you're not going to sell any stuff. This holds true for ECU tuning to haircuts to condoms. Advertising is important. While it is true that no amount of marketing can save a bad product, a lack of marketing will limit the potential of a great product.
I am a marketing major myself, and I have never been taught that bashing another person's product is a good way to market it. Good tuning is good tuning, I don't know what to tell you. The way to prove a performance products worth is by dyno testing and/or track testing. Get the facts out and supply legit dynos and the product will sell. Word of mouth is HUGE on internet forums. Search this forum and see how many peoples opinions are swayed by certain members.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:58 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by max2000jp
I am a marketing major myself, and I have never been taught that bashing another person's product is a good way to market it. Good tuning is good tuning, I don't know what to tell you. The way to prove a performance products worth is by dyno testing and/or track testing. Get the facts out and supply legit dynos and the product will sell. Word of mouth is HUGE on internet forums. Search this forum and see how many peoples opinions are swayed by certain members.
I agree with your statement here of course. However, it does not defend your previous statement. In fact, saying as you have here that word of mouth is HUGE is a great fact that backs up my saying that you have to defend against criticism or word of mouth will kill your product. Not all word of mouth is true. Look at all the misinformation running rampant in this forum alone. Sometimes the record has to be set straight. Now, I have not read any of these arguments and they very well may be classless and pointless, but I am not defending that. If I was I would have quoted your entire 1st statement. I am defending the need to support and advertise your product. You cannot deny that. I also majored in marketing. A degree does not mean you know about that subject. It means that you remembered the professors words well enough to regurgitate them back onto paper at the appropriate time. Let life and logic be your guide.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:50 AM
John at J&S

We have found the best marketing tool is a magazine test report. Those are hard to get, though, especially if you don't buy ads.

The next best thing is to find a "champion", who will either recommend the product out of the goodness of his heart, or, more likely, market it himself.

We don't do exclusives, so that weeds out a lot of potential champions.

The internet has been described to me as "narrow casting". It seems like a great marketing tool, but people have to find your site, to read about the product.

The forums are good, but the members are always looking for the "next new thing", at the lowest price.

There is a phenomenom called "winner takes all". Basically, if there are several products competing for "market share", there will be one huge winner, and the rest will pick up the crumbs.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:57 AM
FLY BY Z

You're totally right that there are tons of Z owners who have not even heard of this specific website and there are probably products that are on Z's that we as members of this forum do not know exists yet. Hell, we can't even find the light bulbs we want! Anyways, there are a ton of customers looking for answers in a ton of unique places. This reinforces the importance of spreading your own word and then, yes, letting the users come to their conclusions.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

I just wish Shiv would get an FI Z in that shop and do some tuning. I am really interested to see if the Xede and our ECU play nicely together, along the lines of what Adam said.

D
Old 02-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Shiv@Vishnu

If anyone has a Supercharged/Turbo Z please give me a call at the shop to set up a time to come by and install the XEDE and do some custom mapping.

Thanks guys.

Brett Payne
Vishnu Performance.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:02 PM
skywalker

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
klease guys please...lets not rehash what goes on on other boards..its bad enough to read every other post about it there!

The Shiv vs Al feud has been going on foreve and a day....both are frankly to much of an egoist to admit the other offers a valuable product, and as a result, I feel it dumbs down an otherwise productive board.

As for 60 pulls being overkill I would respectfully disagree. What was said above about the product being beta tested is the key here....60 pulls is nothing in tems of seeing how the stock ecu reacts to the various manipulations one is trying to make with the puggyback unit. For that matter, 60 pulls on a reflashed ecu, again to log and extract as much data as possible at different load points and different throttle positions, is not too many either.

What I am more interested in knowing is how the same car dynoes, say 4 weeks after the Xede install. Will it be comparable to what it was on day 1, or will the stock ecu overwrite what changes were made. Same holds true for the reflash....yes its maps physically hold, but does the car make the same power as it previously did over the course of time....to me, thats one of the kore important considerations of any of the fuel mgmt. options.

Adam
Agreed,

The piggyback is like the unichip sold a long time ago for Subaru WRX's in the United States where those vendors selling the piggyback stated the great horsepower and torque gains from them, and how reliable they were. Yet to this day I don't see many of those vendors using or selling the unichip on a single Subaru anymore.

There are many options for tuning, and to my knowledge the most reliable is a relfash or a reliable stand-alone engine management unit.

Cheers,
Bill Knose
I-Speed USA
www.i-speed.us
Old 02-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Shiv@Vishnu

You gotta love the internet...
Old 02-13-2004, 11:21 AM
skywalker

It's a great thing sometimes.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Shiv@Vishnu

Only after you sift through the bs.

shiv
Old 02-13-2004, 01:02 PM
350zdanny

Hey shiv,

I'm not very learned about the XEDE ecu. Am I able to tune off the map you send me, or is all the tuning done in house?

Dan
Old 02-13-2004, 03:59 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Dan,

You can plug a laptop in and program the XEDE on your own.

More info can be found here: http://www.vishnutuning.com/xede0.htm

D
Old 02-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Shiv@Vishnu

That's right. It can be tuned by the user. In the case of the NA 350Z, you will be able to adjust fuel and ignition timing maps. For boosted 350Zs, you can adjust fuel, timing as well as boost. All maps presented in a 3D format (load on Y-axis vs. RPM on X-axis). Load can be represented by MAF, TPS or MAP. In the case of using MAP as a load determinator, one can hook up an external 1, 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor. Makes the XEDE very flexible. RPM and load breakpoints are also user-definable with map resolution up to 20x20.

Cheers,
shiv
Old 02-14-2004, 06:59 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

shiv,

do you have an FI car to test on yet? i would be willing to try it out, if you want!!

m
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shiv - if you need a beta tester east coast, let me know and I'll order one up - that way you have more maps to draw from

Adam
Old 02-16-2004, 12:23 PM
skywalker

From what I have researched of the CAN system that was created by Nissan, using a piggyback system of sorts with the CAN system is going to be pretty difficult. With the way the system was designed, being able to adjust just Fueling and Timing will be surely a tough task.

Good Luck,
Bill

Quick Reply: XEDE ecu: any updates