Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

uprev step 2 tuning dilema?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 PM
manny1274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uprev step 2 tuning dilema?

so I'm getting my z car tuned next week and I've just been watching videos of how some 350z have been bouncing at certain "rpms"? or switching "maps" can someone explain that to me like i see people switching there maps by using the controls on the steering wheel but my 350 has the steering wheel without the switches so how would i go switching maps? please just explain it thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 09:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You will need a steering wheel with switches to do that
Old 01-31-2016, 12:22 AM
Squishyface

Originally Posted by terrasmak
You will need a steering wheel with switches to do that
any more info on this? does it require the map switch on launch? feels kinda janky to me.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:34 AM
John_B

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Squishyface
any more info on this? does it require the map switch on launch? feels kinda janky to me.
Yea you would need the cruise control switch to toggle through the map. W/o it you would need a laptop to switch it manually.

I have 2step on Map 5 set at 4k RPM. I then toggle to Map 1 (Using the cruise control) and release it at the same time I let go of the clutch. It's hard to use really, I'm installing N2MB WOT box soon and should eliminate toggling through maps.

http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox
Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by John_B
Yea you would need the cruise control switch to toggle through the map. W/o it you would need a laptop to switch it manually.

I have 2step on Map 5 set at 4k RPM. I then toggle to Map 1 (Using the cruise control) and release it at the same time I let go of the clutch. It's hard to use really, I'm installing N2MB WOT box soon and should eliminate toggling through maps.

I too have a 3500 rpm 2 step set up with uprev. It makes my engine run like crap when I launch, being turbocharged. It's really no help at all and I'm not a fan whatsoever because it is so iffy.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:07 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The cruise buttons are just two wires with different resistance values for each button. The resistances are listed in the FSM.

I've been throwing around the idea of wiring a relay with a resistor to the clutch switch to mimic the Coast/Set switch.

Roll up to the line, hold Coast/Set, tap cancel to select your two step map. Release Coast/Set to enable two step map.

Press and hold clutch (mimics Coast/Set), tap cancel to select regular map.

Floor gas with clutch held. Car will run on two step map.

Release clutch (mimics releasing coast/set) car will switch to regular map.

The only issue I see with this is you would not be able to bump up to stage while on the two step.... hmm

Just an idea to share.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by 350Z_Al
The cruise buttons are just two wires with different resistance values for each button. The resistances are listed in the FSM.

I've been throwing around the idea of wiring a relay with a resistor to the clutch switch to mimic the Coast/Set switch.

Roll up to the line, hold Coast/Set, tap cancel to select your two step map. Release Coast/Set to enable two step map.

Press and hold clutch (mimics Coast/Set), tap cancel to select regular map.

Floor gas with clutch held. Car will run on two step map.

Release clutch (mimics releasing coast/set) car will switch to regular map.

The only issue I see with this is you would not be able to bump up to stage while on the two step.... hmm

Just an idea to share.

This is a cool idea, you could do it in about 3 seconds so bumping up shouldn't be an issue really.

I wonder if anyone else has issues like I do when trying the two step. My engine backfires and runs like hell when I switch back to the regular boost map. It really doesn't like it. My tuner is reputable and the car runs great, it just doesn't like me trying out the two step map. NA, no doubt this would be great. Anybody else have similar problems?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 AM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yosip1115
This is a cool idea, you could do it in about 3 seconds so bumping up shouldn't be an issue really.

I wonder if anyone else has issues like I do when trying the two step. My engine backfires and runs like hell when I switch back to the regular boost map. It really doesn't like it. My tuner is reputable and the car runs great, it just doesn't like me trying out the two step map. NA, no doubt this would be great. Anybody else have similar problems?
I haven't played with the map switching on the fly like that yet. Relocated my cruise switches but haven't extended the wires yet lol..

I wonder if there is a bit of a delay/stumble while the ECU switches maps.. Maybe somebody else could comment
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
John_B

Originally Posted by 350Z_Al
I haven't played with the map switching on the fly like that yet. Relocated my cruise switches but haven't extended the wires yet lol..

I wonder if there is a bit of a delay/stumble while the ECU switches maps.. Maybe somebody else could comment
There's no delay in between maps. It's all in the timing when releasing the "Cancel button" and feathering the clutch to have a successful launch.
I would just install a WOT box and call it a day.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:45 AM
Squishyface

There's no delay in between maps. It's all in the timing when releasing the "Cancel button" and feathering the clutch to have a successful launch.
I would just install a WOT box and call it a day.

when you ran the n2mb box.. what did you do about the 2 step cancellation switch? theres an issue where you have to flip the switch to get it out of two step mode after launch. Any suggestions on this other than running a Fast and The Furious style nitrous button to toggle the two step mode?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 AM
John_B

Originally Posted by Squishyface
when you ran the n2mb box.. what did you do about the 2 step cancellation switch? theres an issue where you have to flip the switch to get it out of two step mode after launch. Any suggestions on this other than running a Fast and The Furious style nitrous button to toggle the two step mode?
WOT box doesn't have a switch to activate 2-step.
It's program to activate when you press on the clutch and gas at WOT or else it won't engage or accidentally engage while driving. It's program via-laptop.
You can also 2-step while driving to build up boost.

UPREV 2-step require you to switch maps for it to work and sometime it doesn't switch at all.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:22 AM
yosip1115

WOT box doesn't have a switch to activate 2-step.
It's program to activate when you press on the clutch and gas at WOT or else it won't engage or accidentally engage while driving. It's program via-laptop.
You can also 2-step while driving to build up boost.

UPREV 2-step require you to switch maps for it to work and sometime it doesn't switch at all.
Any WOT boxes available to build boost without a standalone ECU? It's a stretch... I know
Old 02-16-2016, 12:18 PM
John_B

Any WOT boxes available to build boost without a standalone ECU? It's a stretch... I know
Yup, the one I posted above. Just need to solder and connect some wire and you'll be set.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM
yosip1115

Yup, the one I posted above. Just need to solder and connect some wire and you'll be set.

But will it build boost?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:29 PM
John_B

But will it build boost?
I'm not boosted yet, but it should.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wot+...+boost&tbm=vid
Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
yosip1115

I'm not boosted yet, but it should.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wot+...+boost&tbm=vid
My uprev 2 step map does not build any boost. I believe it may have something to do with turbo sizing, and cam/fuel adjustments. Not really sure... New to boost.