Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

The unichip is coming :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:52 AM
patdsaunders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm going to get flamed, but this is important for someone designing electronics for mods.

The intakes for the Z do little since the Z (unlike most cars) already has a cold air system stock, thus there would be little to no mapping difference.

The stock headers are not bad and after-market do little, but may affect mapping. However, few people have spent the money for the minimal gains.

Cat-back exhast is also a small effect on mapping, but possibly important.

Plenums should have a significant affect and should be looked at closely for the Z crowd.

Cats or test pipes have a large affect since the computer thinks there is a problem and leans the car.

Cams would effect all the mapping, but each differently.

any kind of boost or nitrous is in another catagory

If your only going to have a few maps then:
a) stock map
b) the most common mods that would effect mapping significantly for the Z are plenum, cats, and exhaust.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Headers can add 20rwhp, exhaust can 10-15rwhp, some claim intake adds 8rwhp (but I doubt it). Plenum doesnt add much more than any of these, nor does cats as far as I can tell, and this chip only adds 20rwhp average so yeah, you will probably get flamed for that post
Old 11-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Tex Willer

chip should make car with most common NA mods as effective as possible to gain max HP,

Gradually, order should be

1st - most common = intake and exhaust.

2nd - plenum, cats/pipes

3rd - headers

4th - less common = cams and head porting etc

something like that

obviously, since each item works a little differently depending on brand, some extra tuning is prob required.

Last edited by Tex Willer; 11-19-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:49 PM
IceY2K1Max

How does this compare(besides P-N-P) to the Perfect Power SMT6 or SMT7?

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp
Old 11-19-2004, 03:04 PM
G3po

Default Unichip ECU with multi maps

Originally posted by unichip
The North American Unichips have A and B maps. The B map has more agressive timing. The 350z has good A/F stock up to 5k rpms then goes really rich. By keeping the A/F at 13.1:1 we picked up 18-20whp peak IIRC. The Plug and Play does exist, there's one sitting in our Z on the dyno right now....
Im looking for an upgrade of the base unichip sold with the base APS kit. Is this ECU and harness the same physically as the unit sold with the APS base system? Or does it have extra Flash for the extra Map storage? I ideally need three maps. Street With CATs, Street peformance, and Track performance. Is there a way to wire simple swithes to select MAPs at boot boot-time?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:18 PM
tonio

Originally posted by aggie300zx
What about...
Intake+Exhaust+Plenum
Intake+Exhaust+HiFlowCats
Intake+Exhaust+HiFlowCats+Plenum

I mention this because it seems like Intake, Exhaust, Plenum, and HiFlowCats are the basic NA mods for folks not wanting to spend a lot on installation. It then seems like Headers is in the next tier because of the installation costs. But that's just my observations from this board and personal experience thus far with this car.
x2, I totally agree. For the cost a lot of people skip the headers
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not looking foreward to the header install

Which cats are causing CELs? Which aren't?

BTW we've done the G35 Autos already.
my kinetix h/f cats aren't. my setup is intake, plenum, cats, ypipe, and i'm very interested; keep me posted!
Old 11-20-2004, 03:48 PM
MustGoFastR

We're doing mapping for:
Stock
Intakes
Exhaust
Intakes+Exhaust
Exhaust+Headers
Intakes+Exhaust+Headers
Exhaust+Headers+Plenum
Intakes+Exhaust+Headers+Plenum

Is there anything else we should be looking at? For mods beyond the standard mapping we do a custom tune is recommended. The tuners can start with our base maps so the process is very quick in most cases.
How about just Intakes + Plenum?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:55 PM
o snap its eric

its ridiculous to set a ecu for certain mods. If your gonna proceed to just do the following then your going to loose a lot of customers.

I rather get a TS reflash than buying chip dedicated for certain mods.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:04 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally posted by o snap its eric
its ridiculous to set a ecu for certain mods. If your gonna proceed to just do the following then your going to loose a lot of customers.

I rather get a TS reflash than buying chip dedicated for certain mods.
Depends if they will have an upgrade policy. Going TS, you'd still need a reflash if you added more mods.

On another topic: It was ststed earlier that the Unichip would presumably be compatible with '04 ECUs; how about '03? Also will this work for Infinitis as well?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:44 PM
stillenchrgd_z

jason, would this benefit Stillen SC'd Z's?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Most import piece about this unichip is simply... can I tune it? IMO

Also if I was going to plop down over 5 bills for this chip, I have a question regarding the long-term investment in it..

Lets say I end up going with an APS TT setup down the road, can I just leave the existing unichip and not use the one provided with their kit?

Will the unichip still have the same features regarding controling the upgraded injectors, and down the road, the additional 6 injectors with their fuel system/tall boy plenum upgrade?

I suppose it would be nice to get an idea of how many features this particular unichip has/doesnt have over the APS unichip.

---

An example of na mods I have that would need to be tuned for are: intake, borla td exhaust, headers, plenum, cams, no cats.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:08 AM
SJTrackZ

I hope better R & D is done on the Z's unichip vs. the Acura CL-s's chip. The only people who saw the best gains were the local people who were able to go to unichip and get the chip tuned. The other people who received their chips weren't very happy with the final product. Some actually had to find a shop that could tune the chip for them.

I hope all the homework gets done and a different result comes about.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 AM
unichip

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
Depends if they will have an upgrade policy. Going TS, you'd still need a reflash if you added more mods.

On another topic: It was ststed earlier that the Unichip would presumably be compatible with '04 ECUs; how about '03? Also will this work for Infinitis as well?
The Unichip works on the 03 and 04 350z and G35. Our 350z is a mid 03.
We have an advanced exchange upgrade policy where we send you a replacement chip for $20+S&H with a return shipping packet and you just swap it out with no downtime and then drop the old chip in the a Fedex drop box and you're done.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:54 AM
unichip

Originally posted by Juztin
Most import piece about this unichip is simply... can I tune it? IMO

Also if I was going to plop down over 5 bills for this chip, I have a question regarding the long-term investment in it..

Lets say I end up going with an APS TT setup down the road, can I just leave the existing unichip and not use the one provided with their kit?

Will the unichip still have the same features regarding controling the upgraded injectors, and down the road, the additional 6 injectors with their fuel system/tall boy plenum upgrade?

I suppose it would be nice to get an idea of how many features this particular unichip has/doesnt have over the APS unichip.

---

An example of na mods I have that would need to be tuned for are: intake, borla td exhaust, headers, plenum, cams, no cats.
Currently programming can only be done by authorized dealers. The Unichip can handle additional injectors without any problems. The APS Unichip in their TT kit and the North American Unichip are functionally identical. Same capabilities same everything. We have some differences in how we build our PnP harnesses such as the A/B map switching but that's it AFAIK.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 AM
MustGoFastR

Any plans on having one available for the FX35? Same drivetrain as Z and G and lots of owners looking for mods...
Old 11-22-2004, 09:59 AM
unichip

Originally posted by MustGoFastR
Any plans on having one available for the FX35? Same drivetrain as Z and G and lots of owners looking for mods...
The PnP is done just need to build some maps.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
unichip

Originally posted by SJTrackZ
I hope better R & D is done on the Z's unichip vs. the Acura CL-s's chip. The only people who saw the best gains were the local people who were able to go to unichip and get the chip tuned. The other people who received their chips weren't very happy with the final product. Some actually had to find a shop that could tune the chip for them.

I hope all the homework gets done and a different result comes about.
We had one paticular program that gave us trouble with the CLs/TLs and we offered 2 free reprograms for all the customers that got it. In all fairness very few people dyno'd their cars to verify anything one way or the other. A lot of people assumed they were having the same issue. In any case we took care of all those customers quite some time ago and haven't had any issues since.

Last edited by unichip; 11-22-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:08 AM
G3po

Default Map swapping

Currently programming can only be done by authorized dealers. The Unichip can handle additional injectors without any problems. The APS Unichip in their TT kit and the North American Unichip are functionally identical. Same capabilities same everything. We have some differences in how we build our PnP harnesses such as the A/B map switching but that's it AFAIK.
So with this versoin of the Unichip pb controller could I have more than one "dealer tuned APS-type" maps which are switch selectable? Just 2 or , could I get more. My ideal is 3 maps.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 AM
unichip

Default Re: Map swapping

Originally posted by G3po
So with this versoin of the Unichip pb controller could I have more than one "dealer tuned APS-type" maps which are switch selectable? Just 2 or , could I get more. My ideal is 3 maps.
Currently just two timing maps are availalbe.

Quick Reply: The unichip is coming :)