Notices
Upcoming Events Upcoming 350z/370Z/G35/G37 Events

ZdayZ 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Holy crap! Did this thing speed up??? I'm not ready!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 PM
TSG-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Registered!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by pulpz2
Google maps is recommending that we take I-75 S, to I-275 S, to US-441 S to I-74 W, to NC 28 N.
I'm assuming this is because of the rock slide on I-129.
There are a couple closures causing this. I-40E and RT 129.

Google Maps is not reading I-40 East as being open at the TN / NC state line. It had a major rock slide last year and should have opened this weekend. So instead, it is trying to take you through Knoxville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge (a tourist trap with go cart tracks, mini-golf and Dollywood), up to Gatlinburg, cutting through the Smoky Mountain National Park, down to 74 and over to 28.

This is a scenic route but honestly it will take a very long time. After 8+ hours of driving, some folks will just want to get there. Traffic in Pigeon Forge shouldn't be too bad but it's hit or miss. My major concern is the stop and go all the way from Knoxville to Gatlinburg. Taking a caravan through stop and go could mean we get split up. I'd hate to have some folks lost or seperated.

But I think I-75 S, to I-40 S, to US-129 E, to NC 28 N. Driving the Dragon on the way in to FVR really builds the hype.

Is there a problem with taking US 129 even though it open during the day, or should we stick to US-441 as recommended by Google Maps?
RT 129 can only be entered from the TN / NC state line. I assume there is a turn around at the Tab Cat bridge. So hitting the Dragon on the way is a no-go. But we can still have fun on other roads to get the blood pumping.

Here my suggestion to have fun and keep the group together as much as possible. This is the same as your first route except we pickup 74 West off of I40 East. (Skipping Knoxville)

1) I-75 South to I-275 / I-40 East.
2) I-40 East should be open by then. The road headed to Asheville is gorgeous. Have video cameras ready. The hill is steep going down so watch for NC State Troopers in Dark Grey Chargers. It's tempting to run flat out down this hill but it'll cost you.
3) Take Exit 27 - This leads onto 74 West. Stop and refuel if needed.
4) Take 74 West

You have an option here. If you're itching, you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway North to 441 and cut back down the 74-W again. The BRP is a nice road. If folks are tired, skip it but go back to it sometime during the weekend. This will add time to the trip.

5) 74 West to 28 North which leads to the Fontana Village Resort. 28 North is also a fun road. (As are most of the roads in the area)
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Google Maps is not reading I-40 East as being open at the TN / NC state line. It had a major rock slide last year and should have opened this weekend. So instead, it is trying to take you through Knoxville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge (a tourist trap with go cart tracks, mini-golf and Dollywood), up to Gatlinburg, cutting through the Smoky Mountain National Park, down to 74 and over to 28.

This is a scenic route but honestly it will take a very long time. After 8+ hours of driving, some folks will just want to get there. Traffic in Pigeon Forge shouldn't be too bad but it's hit or miss. My major concern is the stop and go all the way from Knoxville to Gatlinburg. Taking a caravan through stop and go could mean we get split up. I'd hate to have some folks lost or seperated.

RT 129 can only be entered from the TN / NC state line. I assume there is a turn around at the Tab Cat bridge. So hitting the Dragon on the way is a no-go. But we can still have fun on other roads to get the blood pumping.

Here my suggestion to have fun and keep the group together as much as possible. This is the same as your first route except we pickup 74 West off of I40 East. (Skipping Knoxville)

2) I-40 East should be open by then. The road headed to Asheville is gorgeous. Have video cameras ready. The hill is steep going down so watch for NC State Troopers in Dark Grey Chargers. It's tempting to run flat out down this hill but it'll cost you.
4) Take 74 West

You have an option here. If you're itching, you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway North to 441 and cut back down the 74-W again. The BRP is a nice road. If folks are tired, skip it but go back to it sometime during the weekend. This will add time to the trip.

5) 74 West to 28 North which leads to the Fontana Village Resort. 28 North is also a fun road. (As are most of the roads in the area)
Guys, thanks for fielding these questions. I've been swamped.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM
pulpz2

Agreed.

4) Take 74 West

Im' with you, I think we need to take the most direct route, 40 E to 74 W.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

You guys are totally confusing me now. What exactly is closed and where?

If I'm caravaning with the Midwest crew and we're coming in on either I-75 or I-40, are we going through Knoxville? In the past, I've always driven through Knoxville to get to Maryville until I follow 129 to 28.

Last edited by SmoothZ; 05-04-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
You guys are totally confusing me now. What exactly is closed and where?

If I'm caravaning with the Midwest crew and we're coming in on either I-75 or I-40, are we going through Knoxville? In the past, I've always driven through Knoxville to get to Maryville until I follow 129 to 28.
LOL - Sort of, we'll go past Knoxville on I-40 instead of getting off the interstate and going through Knoxville.

Don't worry. We'll pass out step by step directions and maps to everyone in the caravan. The route should be easy.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

LOL - Sort of, we'll go past Knoxville on I-40 instead of getting off the interstate and going through Knoxville.

Don't worry. We'll pass out step by step directions and maps to everyone in the caravan. The route should be easy.
I'm not worried about getting lost. Last time I went, I used paper maps and memory while the Chicago crew used GPS technology. Guess who got lost.... not me.

I was reading this last page over and over trying to follow what you guys were posting. The most confusing part was the fact that people kept stating that the TN/NC line was open. That made no sense to me if you're on the 129 since that's closed at night.

I like the idea of going through Pigeon Forge down to 74, then heading west to 28.

I don't know how many miles it is from the 66 exit to the 81/40 split, but it seems like that route is going to add a lot of time. I don't know... never went that way before.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not worried about getting lost. Last time I went, I used paper maps and memory while the Chicago crew used GPS technology. Guess who got lost.... not me.

Leave it to the technology to screw somebody up. I don't have enough fingers to count how many times google maps has goofed on the location of places. Most of the time it says it's on the right side of the intersection when it's on the other.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I might bring my GPS just for trips down to NC during the weekend. I've got a pretty good memory when it comes to locations and driving. I barely used the maps I had my second year going there.

Anyway, I guess we'll figure something out in the next 2 weeks.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will have to make it down there one year.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Phreakdout

There are two different closures.
1) The Dragon (RT129) This doesn't affect us on the way down. It is closed at the bottom of the hill. There is only one way to enter the Dragon and that is from the TN/NC border.

2) I-40 has been closed for months due to a huge rockslide. By coincidence, this is closed at the TN / NC border. ( I think North Carolina is going to seperate from Tennessee and slip into the Atlantic Ocean. ) This is going to or just has opened up.

Going through Pigeon Forge is OK. We can make a group decision on that. There is the potential that cutting through Sevierville, PF and Gatlinburg will take a very long time to do. With lots of stop lights, folks can get cut off and the pack seperated.

However, the road through Pigeon Forge is like five lanes wide. This would make for some interesting photos and videos to see five Z's wide going down the road. LOL

Also, there are some small tunnels and fun roads cutting through the Smoky Mountain National Park to get to 74 / 28.

On the flip side, we miss running the Blue Ridge Parkway if we cut through Pigeon Forge.

Some images of the BRP:

Old 05-05-2010, 04:57 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So when you say I-40 is closed at TN/NC, you mean that it's the section between the towns of Browns and Mount Sterling? That's way over on the east side.

If 129 is closed on the TN side which I remember being near the start/bottom of the Dragon, then we can only enter from the NC side into FVR.

I agree that those pics of the BRP look great, but I bet that 66/441 will be picturesque too.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 AM
pulpz2

hey guys...I haven't had much time to get online over the last few days. Once we decide on a route, I can take the time to put together a map pack everyone can print out and have on hand. I'll also have a GPS (as a back up).

I'm not opposed to going through Pigeon Forge, but I agree with Phreaked, it is touristy (carnival style) and I would prefer to take a route that is scenic, fun to drive, and more conducive to sports cars.

How about we nail down two routes and and take it back to the caravan threads and put it to vote?

Phreakd- thanks for clarifying the road closure situation. I think what is adding confusion the situation is the TN press release that the Dragon was "back open"

Last edited by pulpz2; 05-06-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 AM
pulpz2

So when you say I-40 is closed at TN/NC, you mean that it's the section between the towns of Browns and Mount Sterling? That's way over on the east side.
I-40 closed at the TN/NC just NW of canton. If you try to create the route using maps.google.com the suggest route accounts fro the closure.

If 129 is closed on the TN side which I remember being near the start/bottom of the Dragon, then we can only enter from the NC side into FVR.

I agree that those pics of the BRP look great, but I bet that 66/441 will be picturesque too.
Yeah, this is correct, otherwise the preferred route is as you say, 129 to 28.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
pulpz2

Yeah, so it seems I-40 at the TN/NC border should be open since April 25th.
http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/4987
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
pulpz2

FYI - Mapquest suggests 129 to 28 from Knoxville to FVR. LOL
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Phreakdout

I'm not opposed to going through Pigeon Forge, but I agree with Phreaked, it is touristy (carnival style) and I would prefer to take a route that is scenic, fun to drive, and more conducive to sports cars.

How about we nail down two routes and and take it back to the caravan threads and put it to vote?

Phreakd- thanks for clarifying the road closure situation. I think what is adding confusion the situation is the TN press release that the Dragon was "back open", but that's only a section and still requires a turn-around at the still closed TN/NC border.
Pigeon Forge Route: The town is crazy on weekends and in the summer. Since ZdayZ is before school lets out, I assume the traffic won't be too bad. There is a Dollywood Exit off I-40 that takes us through.

Dragon Road Closure: LOL, I think you're still saying it wrong. LMAO. If you've been there before, the Dragon starts on the TN side at the base of the hill by the lake. This is where the rock slide is. (At the lake) The only way to enter the Dragon is at the other side at the TN / NC border. (That end is open.) This is where the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort is and the Gas Station. This end is open from 8am - 8pm allowing cars to go down the Dragon and turn around and come back. No through traffic.

When you said it is closed at the TN / NC border, I think that is causing confusion.

Agreed, we should take this back to the caravan thread. (Sorry everyone!)

I-40 closed at the TN/NC just NW of canton. If you try to create the route using maps.google.com the suggest route accounts fro the closure.

Yeah, this is correct, otherwise the preferred route is as you say, 129 to 28.
Google and Mapquest are updated independently. Give them a week or two to get updated.

Yeah, so it seems I-40 at the TN/NC border should be open since April 25th.
http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/4987
I heard they made some improvements while waiting for the rock slide crew to finish. Tunnels should be smooth and pot holes filled. The road is going to be like a race track.

FYI - Mapquest suggests 129 to 28 from Knoxville to FVR. LOL
Mapquest FTL . LOL I feel sorry for anyone trying to take a detour around the 129 closure.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Registered!

Finally.

Too bad my wife couldn't go this year. First ZdayZ without her.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-05-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
pulpz2

Looks like we'll have goats keeping us company on the Dragon:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359436

Quick Reply: ZdayZ 2010