Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Swapping 08 VQ35HR Engine Into an 04 Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Scythenc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see most of the things everybody listed. but why would i have to swap out the center console?

Any of the shops wanna chime in on how do-able they think this could be? And if they would be willing to give it a try?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 AM
pacfwu

I don't know about the center console, but I believe you would have to swap out the gauge cluster. Plus, aside from the other things already mentioned, you would probably have to get a whole bunch of misc items to relocate everything on the passenger side of the engine bay since you'd have a second intake in that space.

It'd be cool to try, but I think the project would just nickle and dime you to death.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 AM
michaeljr6

thread title just screams waste of money
Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 AM
playa6tnine

u might as well just swap an LS motor... oh yeahhhh
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
pacfwu

Well, I think the point is that his engine is shot and he has a good deal on an HR engine, but wants to know if it would really end up being that great of a deal. For example (and I'm just making up these numbers), maybe it would cost $5k to have someone rebuild his engine and do the labor. But could he get a better engine than his stock one for cheap and have it installed for about the same or less than the cost of having the work done to the DE engine.

I don't think he's just wanting to do a swap for the hell of it. Just trying to find the best cost-effective solution.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 PM
xlr8r

Man I wish I had another $2500 to throw around, I'd love to have the HR in my 510 over the DE.

As far as putting in an earlier 350z it sounds doable but with a few hiccups. I'm not all that familiar with how the CAN systems work so I have no technical info on interchangeability. However, since the guy is selling an HR engine it sounds like he has a totaled car on his hands. If he's willing to let you have the whole car, or at least be able to strip all of the needed parts (as you determine you need them) for a cheap price then it may be a bit easier, with less roadblocks.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheapest=Get the DE engine for your 04. If you want to spend a ton of money then get the DE engine built and add a turbo/sc.

Don't try to swim up stream with the HR motor. Just my opinion, you can do whatever you want.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by pacfwu
Well, I think the point is that his engine is shot and he has a good deal on an HR engine, but wants to know if it would really end up being that great of a deal. For example (and I'm just making up these numbers), maybe it would cost $5k to have someone rebuild his engine and do the labor. But could he get a better engine than his stock one for cheap and have it installed for about the same or less than the cost of having the work done to the DE engine.

I don't think he's just wanting to do a swap for the hell of it. Just trying to find the best cost-effective solution.
Yup thats exactly what im trying to accomplish. Just trying to see if doing the swap to the HR will be more cost effective or nearly as cost effective as doing a rebuild. Yeah thats about what i will have to play with after i purchase either motor around 5k to get everything installed, etc.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by xlr8r
Man I wish I had another $2500 to throw around, I'd love to have the HR in my 510 over the DE.

As far as putting in an earlier 350z it sounds doable but with a few hiccups. I'm not all that familiar with how the CAN systems work so I have no technical info on interchangeability. However, since the guy is selling an HR engine it sounds like he has a totaled car on his hands. If he's willing to let you have the whole car, or at least be able to strip all of the needed parts (as you determine you need them) for a cheap price then it may be a bit easier, with less roadblocks.
I dont think he has a whole car just the motor and trans. He was going to a build up hisself with puting them into an 240 he owns but has decided not to.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by Scythenc
Yup thats exactly what im trying to accomplish. Just trying to see if doing the swap to the HR will be more cost effective or nearly as cost effective as doing a rebuild. Yeah thats about what i will have to play with after i purchase either motor around 5k to get everything installed, etc.
if this is what ur looking for, then u had ur answer a long time ago, and ur still asking which shop to go to

this will cost u well over 5k on top of buying the hr

if u have 5k to spend, then u can get a built short block from one of the vendors installed and tuned for prolly about 5k, if not less. send a few of them a pm explaining ur situation and ask how much it will run u

other than the quoted post, it sound like u really have ur mind set on the hr, but if u really are looking for the most cost effective option, then the hr is not it. i'm pretty sure u can get an ls1 swap with the cost of the engine for less and have much more power (if ur looking to get the most hp for ur $$$)
Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by warmmilk
if this is what ur looking for, then u had ur answer a long time ago, and ur still asking which shop to go to

this will cost u well over 5k on top of buying the hr

if u have 5k to spend, then u can get a built short block from one of the vendors installed and tuned for prolly about 5k, if not less. send a few of them a pm explaining ur situation and ask how much it will run u

other than the quoted post, it sound like u really have ur mind set on the hr, but if u really are looking for the most cost effective option, then the hr is not it. i'm pretty sure u can get an ls1 swap with the cost of the engine for less and have much more power (if ur looking to get the most hp for ur $$$)
well i will have about 7k to spend total. and for what i need to fix on the car (several things other than just the motor she needs a lil tlc here and there) its not enough money to get a built motor so thats why i was lookin at stock motors. not interested in the whole ls1, ls2 in a 350z.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 PM
warmmilk

well how much of the 7k is going to the engine?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Accordaleer

Yea, its not just about speed, i mean v8's sound great, but would i want that sound coming out of my Z? Hell no... I love the sound of a sporty v6...its nice to leave a big grumbling v8 in the dust sometimes =)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 PM
warmmilk

^ different strokes for different folks

i'm not saying he has to get an ls1 swap, just laying out his options and letting him know that its prolly cheaper than getting an hr to work in his z

i'd be stoked to have a v8 in my z, doesn't mean that everyone would be, if u like ur v6 then stick to the v6, i have nothing against that. or if the op wants to blow a bunch of money for an hr in his 04, more power to him.

i just dont get the kind of people that think just cause they don't like something, that everybody should hate it, like some people we've seen in the lsx and 2jz swap thread (not talking about anyone specific, just saying that there are haters)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Scythenc
Well im hoping i can still re-use my transmission. but if i have to buy another one. the guy selling the motor also has a 6 speed manual trans to go with it and will sell both for 2500. Oh trust me if i pull it off it will be well documented. Any vendors up to the challenge of pulling this swap off maybe and getting some braggin rights to be the first in the country to do this?

So you will document the shops work well? lawl priceless
Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by warmmilk
well how much of the 7k is going to the engine?
well he's selling the motor and trans for 2.5k im hoping to pick up the engine for around 1.6-1.8k
Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Scythenc

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
Yea, its not just about speed, i mean v8's sound great, but would i want that sound coming out of my Z? Hell no... I love the sound of a sporty v6...its nice to leave a big grumbling v8 in the dust sometimes =)
exactly not hating on the v8 swap or the 2jz engine swap its just not for me.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 PM
tourinz

HOw about we put a corvette engine in there? maybe a viper! C'mon, stop beeing a noob and do some search!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
NoahzBurnt

Originally Posted by tourinz
HOw about we put a corvette engine in there? maybe a viper! C'mon, stop beeing a noob and do some search!

anyone who would waste time and money doing and LS swap is a complete and total idiot...who ever thought of that ludacris and unachievable idea should be shot

Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM
tourinz

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
anyone who would waste time and money doing and LS swap is a complete and total idiot...who ever thought of that ludacris and unachievable idea should be shot

same thing for a person trying to put a HR on a 03

Quick Reply: Swapping 08 VQ35HR Engine Into an 04 Z?