Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

anyone swap out the ring and pinion gears in their Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone swap out the ring and pinion gears in their Z?

If you have swapped these out, what kind did you switch to?

What size shims did you have to use?

Or did it just go right back together w/ the stock sized shims?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/301451-4-083-gears-final-drive-installed.html

And Gooey has swapped these out on his VQ35HR engine. He went with the 4.083 and I also swapped them out and i have a VQ35DE.

Later
Todd
Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
KCMO_HR_G

Thanks, I'll read through those posts.

I'm most concerned about the shim size though. I want to do this on a saturday morning with no down time... and my dealer won't stock all the shim options because they're not needed very often and would total ~$400.

So I'm trying to see how many people were able to put the nissan OEM parts into the rear end using the same shims that came in the car.

Or if new shims were needed, if there was a pattern on what size different R&P sets needed.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would talk to Adam at Z1 performance.. Great guy and knows what he is talking about.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2833

He can let you know which install kit would be right for you.. You should replace the bearings while your in there aswell.

Todd
Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 PM
KCMO_HR_G

Originally Posted by aceman
I would talk to Adam at Z1 performance.. Great guy and knows what he is talking about.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2833

He can let you know which install kit would be right for you.. You should replace the bearings while your in there aswell.

Todd
yea... this is from their website:

"Please note that in addition to the parts shown, there are also several sizes of side lash adjustment shims that Nissan offers. There is no way for us to determine what size(s) your car might need. The ONLY way to determine the proper size lash adjusters is during the installation by a competant installer. For those with higher mileage cars (typically over 25k miles) or who want additional peace of mind during the install, we also can offer the bearings as well as the bolts used internally."

My car only has 6,500 miles on it, so the bearings should be fine... I just wanted to get a sneak peak at what I'd be looking at shim-wise when I got it opened up.

I've heard from various other installers that worked on domestic cars that if the tolerances are tight on the gears, the same shims should work. So if i'm going with the OEM 4.083 R&P, I should be able to directly swap it.

Just wondering if this is how it has worked for other Z/G owners.